PDA

View Full Version : Starting with Precious Metal Clay

Di Sandland
28-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Well, guys, I've had a result! Its my birthday on Saturday and my OH has offered to by me the stuff I need to begin with PMC. ~Questions:

Is it better to buy a kit or to get individual items
If its better to buy individual items, what MUST I have to start
Suggested suppliers - I know there's Cooksons of course

Thanks in advance

love
Di x

bustagasket
28-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Well, guys, I've had a result! Its my birthday on Saturday and my OH has offered to by me the stuff I need to begin with PMC. ~Questions:

Is it better to buy a kit or to get individual items
If its better to buy individual items, what MUST I have to start
Suggested suppliers - I know there's Cooksons of course

Thanks in advance

love
Di x

Dang that hubby of yours!!!!! Can he pretend to be mine so i can start too please? lol sorry.

I have nothing sensible to say so i will leave it to the experienced ones, but i will be watching your dip into the world of PMC with bated breath :D

Di Sandland
28-07-2009, 10:16 PM
but i will be watching your dip into the world of PMC with bated breath

No pressure then!

Actually, this was a rather nifty piece of work on my behalf. Somebody sent me quite a bit of money for my birthday and I spent half of it on a new digital SLR camera for my old man (he's been lusting after one for ages - we sold all our old SLRs some years ago). So he sort of 'owes' me:cool:

bustagasket
28-07-2009, 10:21 PM
oooo good plan!!!!!

*runs away to work on a plot for herself :dance:*

MuranoSilver
28-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Here you go I wrote a thread about suggested PMC tools here (http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125)
There's also loads of info, reviews & tips on my PMC blog (link in signature)
nic xx

Ominicci
29-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Lucky you Di! Good luck with it all.

Lindyloo
29-07-2009, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't bother with the kits sold for PMC. You probably own half the stuff already (burnisher, torch, soldering block, brass brush etc). Look at Nic's list and go from there. Most of the stuff you need is household stuff.

I bought white plumbing piping for a rolling pin (saw it into sections) as it has no annoying seam like some extruded plastic rolling pins. You can use those plastic document sleeves as a rolling surface. Playing cards for spacers, and don't forget to get some badger balm from your chemist to rub on your fingers and your work surface to stop the pmc sticking to everything. You can use a film cannister to collect your filings to make a slip by adding water (it makes a glue to join your pieces), and use an old spray bottle to rewet your pmc when it gets too dry. Voila! Instant kit. All you need now is the pmc.

If you spend your money on anything, spend it on the clay. You don't even need any preprepared moulds. Get some of that silicone 2 part moulding stuff that you mix up and make your own moulds from. They sell it at art shops.

Of course if hubby is being really generous, then go for the kiln and the barrel polisher for finishing (which helps harden it).

Hope that helps;)

Linda

Di Sandland
30-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Thanks Linda - will let you all know how I get on [-o<

Solunar Silver Studio
30-07-2009, 08:43 AM
I love my siligum - the modelling material Linda was talking about. I've gone through pots of the stuff! It is expensive though...or I think it is anyway!...so I am constantly looking for the cheapest supplier as they keep upping their prices!! The cheapest I have found for the 300g pack recently is at http://www.craftcellar.co.uk/index1.html and their postage is reasonable...and buy 3 packs and you get it postage free!!:)))
Barbara

MuranoSilver
30-07-2009, 10:42 AM
The 300g pack is cheaper at Cooksons
Craft Cellar £19.85 Cooksons £19.52 (http://www.cooksongold.com/product_detail.jsp?prod_search=700+520+&submit.x=17&submit.y=2) Product Code: 700 520 :)
If you wait until a free post over £50 over the postage would be free with Cooksons too :Y:
(Not that I do...she says looking at her shopping basket, they've just got my favourite cufflink mechanisms back in!)

Nic x

Solunar Silver Studio
30-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Oooops! Sorry Cooksons!... :">I didn't know it was in Cooksons! (Honest!) Is it realatively new?
Barbara

Di Sandland
30-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I've just made a fairly large purchase from Cooksons of PMC stuff. As ever I was tempted to get stuff that I know isn't essential but, hey, what the hell.

I also bought a lot of stuff over hte weekend to get the free postage. :Y:

MuranoSilver
30-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Oooops! Sorry Cooksons!... :">I didn't know it was in Cooksons! (Honest!) Is it realatively new?
Barbara

Naah just relatively hidden....you have to try a lot of search terms sometimes.:confused:
I think I found it after going through ALL the products in the pmc section one day :)
Nic x

Solunar Silver Studio
30-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Hmmm - Do you think it might be worth campaigning for an improved search/layout on Cooksons...Cos...(says in hushed tones)..I find it one of the hardest sites to get any info from. Very few people have the time to scroll through 22 pages/795 items (or whatever) just on the off chance they might find what they are looking for...and to be frank...if I didn't feel a bit obligated now:rolleyes:...I would look elsewhere - somewhere where you can easily find what you are looking for!

Sorry Cooksons...but it is true!

Barbara

apike
30-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Hi,
Thanks for your comments regarding the search facility on our website, it's always useful to get your feedback. We are aware that the on-site search facility is by far the weakest element of the site and we have now committed ourselves to purchasing a top of the range external search and navigation tool to rectify this problem. We've tried hard in recent months to improve it internally, and small improvements have been made however we're still no where near where we'd like to be, hence the new software. Unfortunately due to various technical issues the new search and navigation tool won't go live until the new year in a bid to tie it in with numerous other online developments that we are in the middle of making.

Please try and bare with us and I promise it will all be worth it in the end!

Thanks,
Adam :Y:

bustagasket
30-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi,

Thanks,

Woot free gifts for forum members yes?:Y:..................What do you mean "no"? :(|got me all excited for nothing :'(

Di Sandland
30-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Just had a dispatch notification from Cooksons about my pmc stuff :D

Solunar Silver Studio
30-07-2009, 12:32 PM

Thanks,

Thanks Adam -- I feel really guilty now!:"> I love Cooksons really!:X
Barbara