PDA

View Full Version : Advice please on coiling half hard wire

ani_b
17-02-2010, 07:26 PM
I have ordered some half hard wire for my next chain maille project but I'd just like a bit of advice about making the jump rings with it.

On my last attempt of using half hard wire the rings seemed to come out in the variety of sizes.

Is this normal or is there anything that can be done to stop this happening?

Thank you

mizgeorge
17-02-2010, 07:49 PM
How are you coiling? You really need to use a handdrill or electric screwdriver with a snap in three prong chuck if you want to get consistent coil sizes. If you wind by hand it's almost impossible to maintain constant tension.

Emerald
17-02-2010, 08:22 PM
yeah what G says and hold the wire taught as you feed

ani_b
17-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I did but maybe I wasn't holding the wire a taught as poss. But I know half hard will spring back but does in spring back more or less even on all the rings and is there a good length of coil to have?

Thank you.:~:

mizgeorge
17-02-2010, 09:00 PM
I tend to coil between 3 and 6 inch lengths, depending on how I'm going to cut them. Feed the wire through the thumb and forefinger of your non-dominant hand to maintain tension. If you coil tightly to the mandrel, the springback should be consistant throughout the coil when you release it.

ani_b
17-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Right thank you, I'll give it a go tomorrow...........but first I need to figure out what hand is less dominant lol (left handed.....most of the time!!!)