PDA

View Full Version : Copper and Bronze clay advice please

lynnm
17-02-2010, 02:29 AM
Sat here in the wee small hours alone so I did some searching online about these products. I have some and wanted to have a go with them later but am feeling a bit anxious now as I found lots of people having problems with it disintegrating in the kiln. Any advice on how not to have this happen would be great!

lynnm
17-02-2010, 06:05 PM
someone must know... don't you? :(

MuranoSilver
17-02-2010, 07:38 PM
It depends which one you buy - each has different firing schedules.
If you're going to try one I'd suggest the Art Clay Copper there's a whole series of posts about it on my PMC tips site.
here's one on firing & polishing http://pmctips.blogspot.com/2010/01/art-clay-copper-firing-polishing.html
Nic xx

lynnm
17-02-2010, 08:02 PM
already got it sorry, I have the PMC onesbut will look at your site!

MuranoSilver
17-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Which version did you buy?
I've think I have the firing schedule I used for the Bronze Clay in Activated Carbon too.
Have a look via the "search" on the Blog
Nic x

lynnm
18-02-2010, 04:22 AM
to be truthful I am not sure until I go to the studio (to dark to go now lol) Will have a look at your blog!

Lynne Glazzard
05-04-2010, 10:00 AM
I have used a few of the different metal clays and the Art Clay Copper is easy to use, take it hot from the kiln and quench it quickly to remove as much fire scale as possible. The Prometheus Bronze clay seems straightforward although I had a few reservations about wrapping pieces in paper to put in the kiln - it was ok - my kiln has a large chamber and I do have ventilation in the studio. My blog entry 17th March shows the results of some of my students using Prometheus bronze for the first time Enamelling in progress (http://lynne-glazzard.blogspot.com/)
It was the first time they had used any metal clay and we split a 100g pack between the four of us (so what you see is the result of three quarters of a pack as I subsequently destroyed my bits testing to see how strong and how well fired they were at different stages).