PDA

View Full Version : Bonny Doon

caroleallen
28-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Does anyone use one of these? I'm going on a course in Birmingham with Cynthia Eid next week to learn the basics and I'm sooo looking forward to it.

Solunar Silver Studio
29-07-2009, 07:07 AM
I'm sorry.....a What??:confused: Is my ignorance showing here??? Can you...sort of ....elaborate a bit!!!:D
Barbara

ps_bond
29-07-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm assuming it's the Bonny Doon hydraulic press being referred to (they do a lot of other bits & pieces too). Built a small one for some press fitting work a while ago (10 ton, not 20) - haven't found the time to build a larger one.

Although hydraulic forming of objects does appeal... :D

Solunar Silver Studio
29-07-2009, 08:46 AM
OK - I'll just step out of the room now - a bit out of my depth here!!:">
Barbara

Di Sandland
29-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Barbara, you're not alone - I thought this thread was about a place in Scotland

#-o

lorraineflee
29-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Does anyone use one of these? I'm going on a course in Birmingham with Cynthia Eid next week to learn the basics and I'm sooo looking forward to it.
I'm jealous, I phoned about the course and was told it had been cancelled - by the time I found that it wasn't, it was full! I've got a "dental prosthetics" hydraulic press that I've started to practice with. The Bonny Doon was a bit out of my price range. The accessories are a bit pricey too - I'd be interested to know how you get on with the course.
Lorraine

ps_bond
29-07-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm slightly surprised West Dean don't seem to be running a press workshop - they've got one of them sat in the silversmithing studio.

mizgeorge
29-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Lucky you to be taking a course with Cynthia Eid!
(not to mention having the press in the first place :))

julie
29-07-2009, 03:58 PM
we want to know all about it when you have done your course next week :Y:

EmmaRose
29-07-2009, 05:10 PM
full report and photos please :-)
Bonny Doon stuff is beautiful...

caroleallen
29-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Sorry, I've only just caught up with this. Yes, a Bonny Doon is an hydraulic press. What a shame you missed out on the course.

I think they do a course at West Dean but not until next year, and I want to do it NOW! I've got my BD sitting on my bench but haven't had much success with it, so definitely need the course.

lorraineflee
09-08-2009, 08:19 AM
How did the course go!!!?? I am so jealous! Is there going to be another one in the future, did they say?
What did you learn?

Lorraine :)

caroleallen
09-08-2009, 01:54 PM
It was fab. There were 10 of us and we all got on so well. The press isn't as easy to use as I'd thought and I'll need a lot more practice before I have anything worth showing. I do have a couple of bangles which I was quite pleased with, one in copper and one in argentium silver which I'll take some photos of and show you later. That was the other thing she was teaching us. Argentium is great to use as it doesn't get fire stain and it's resistant to tarnishing. It also fuses together really easily so you don't need to do much soldering.

I also made a dish using the deep drawing equipment but I don't think I'll be making any more as the equipment costs more than the press. That's the trouble; buying the press is just the start. The Americans are so lucky to be able to get such wonderful stuff.

Cynthia's hoping to do another class next year, so if you contact the jewellery school now and put your name on a list, they can gauge the interest.

I'm madly trying to design things now but I think I'm trying too hard as it's not happening.