PDA

View Full Version : need help and advice

the student lass
13-02-2010, 06:24 PM
hi all.
I've had an idear that I would like to do online tutoring . I would like teach
silversmithing for beginners and also people who are experience some what who would like help on there weak points of silversmithing.
I've bin a silversmither since 2004 .
can you help me on where I can start with this , and how much should I charge ????? if any one can help me that would be fab .

Emerald
13-02-2010, 07:23 PM
hi all.
I've had an idear that I would like to do online tutoring . I would like teach
silversmithing for beginners and also people who are experience some what who would like help on there weak points of silversmithing.
I've bin a silversmither since 2004 .
can you help me on where I can start with this , and how much should I charge ????? if any one can help me that would be fab .

Hi Student Lass it would help if we could see some of the work you are proposing to teach as we have not seen your work on here before i dont think! and then we could help more in suggesting how much you charge for this :)

caroleallen
13-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Not sure how that would work Student Lass. If anyone needs help online they can get all the help they need in places like this for free.

the student lass
14-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi Student Lass it would help if we could see some of the work you are proposing to teach as we have not seen your work on here before i dont think! and then we could help more in suggesting how much you charge for this :)

I would like to teach basics of silversmithing and for people who are at level 1 .

Emerald
14-02-2010, 12:32 PM
like raising a bowl and such?

the student lass
14-02-2010, 12:57 PM
like raising a bowl and such?

yeah , or how to make they 1st ring etc

Di Sandland
14-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Hey, Student Lass, if you're doing the bowl raising tutorial I'd be very interested!

Emerald
14-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Not sure how that would work Student Lass. If anyone needs help online they can get all the help they need in places like this for free.

and there are plenty on You tube as well Carol

YouTube - How to Make a Ring in Few Simple Steps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57x9DRC-36o)

geti-titanium
14-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi Student Lass,

Sounds like a really good idea, hope it goes well for you. Although, if you are going to do this in English, you may want to get somebody to translate it for you properly otherwise if you have loads of grammar mistakes in it you won't be taken seriously like the woman in Emeralds clip above.

What is your native language anyway, because you've picked up English really well and English is one of the hardest languages to learn?

geti-titanium
14-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Apologies Student Lass, I've just been advised that you are English. In that case with regard to tutorials on the internet, I would still advise you to get somebody to proof read your articles for you.

Poor grammar and spelling will not help make you stand out as an authority in your field. People will think, rightly or wrongly - it's not for me to judge, that if you can't spell then you may not necessarily know what you are talking about.

It's a bit harsh I know, but that's life I'm afraid.

caroleallen
14-02-2010, 08:02 PM
But if your work's absolutely fab, people may overlook grammatical errors. Come on Student Lass, we're all waiting to ooh and aah over your work.

Bigwol
14-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Hi Student Lass

If you're a student - don't you think that you should complete your own studies before teaching others?

But show us what you make anyway - we'd love to see it.

geti-titanium
14-02-2010, 10:44 PM
But if your work's absolutely fab, people may overlook grammatical errors. Come on Student Lass, we're all waiting to ooh and aah over your work.

I'm not so sure Carol, if you spell 'been' as 'bin' then you may as well not bother.

Bigwol
15-02-2010, 01:18 AM
how much should I charge ?????

50p sounds about right . .

caroleallen
15-02-2010, 06:33 AM
But her raised bowls may be a wonder to behold. That would be well worth paying for.

Gemma
15-02-2010, 07:23 AM
How are you going to deliver your lessons? You wouldn't be able to charge much for pre written/recorded tutorials but if you were thinking more along the lines of interactive teaching using a webcam or skype or something then you could probably charge a bit more.

Di Sandland
15-02-2010, 08:24 AM
I'd pay for the raised bowls tute...

geti-titanium
15-02-2010, 09:30 AM
I'd pay for the raised bowls tute...

I'm reading 'bowels' here for some reason :)

Di Sandland
15-02-2010, 09:43 AM
REally, Alan? I have no idea why