PDA

View Full Version : A question for Koil Kutter Owners.....

dinah46
11-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I recently treated myself to a Koil Kutter and it's great for cutting the larger jump rings but when I'm trying to cut .8mm ss wire with an ID of 2.5mm it's cutting a groove in the jump ring opposite the cut.

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem or is the cut-out bit on the white guard a bit too high? If I measure the amount of blade that actually goes through the groove in the plate it's just over 3mm, does this sound right?

mizgeorge
11-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Sounds a bit high to me Diane, I can cut 2mm id 0.6mm with no trouble. What version (ie handpiece) are you using?

dinah46
11-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Hi George, it's on a proxxon but I'm thinking the problem is with the guard as it allows the blade to go too low through the slot. I just wanted to check with others before emailing Dave to ask about it.

mizgeorge
11-02-2010, 01:00 PM
That's why I asked Diane - I know the guards are slightly different depending on the model. Could you just pop a little shim on top of the base?

dinah46
11-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Mmmm, I had thought of putting some electrical tape or something each side of the slit but thought it might affect the movement of the tool. Not sure about metal though I suppose I could rig up some copper sheet:confused:

lynnm
11-02-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm not lucky enough to have a Koil Kutter but I have heard that the guy who made them is great if you email him...

daisychain
11-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Dave Aarens is very helpful if you email him. How about trying putting electrical tape on top of the holder and trying to cut some copper rings with that set up? That way you can see how well the guard moves across without wasting silver.

dinah46
17-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Update:
I contacted Dave about this issue and it is now happily resolved after him sending me a new guard which fits a whole lot better. (Super fast delivery)
I have just successfully cut .8mm copper wire rings with an ID of 2.5mm - yeah!

mizgeorge
17-02-2010, 05:45 PM
He's a top bloke is Dave :)

daisychain
17-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Update:
I contacted Dave about this issue and it is now happily resolved after him sending me a new guard which fits a whole lot better. (Super fast delivery)
I have just successfully cut .8mm copper wire rings with an ID of 2.5mm - yeah!

Excellent! Hope you have lots of fun with it!

Fi Wilson
12-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Hee! Just received my Koil Kutter in the post from Dave today. Guess what I'm doing this weekend!!! :dance: Giddy, giddy, giddy.
Fi

bustagasket
13-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Hee! Just received my Koil Kutter in the post from Dave today. Guess what I'm doing this weekend!!! :dance: Giddy, giddy, giddy.
Fi

jealous, jealous jealous:'(

Fi Wilson
14-03-2010, 02:05 PM
You know when you get one of those moments when you sit there and think 'why didn't I get one of these sooner?', well, I've had one of those with my lovely new toy. Saying that, thought I'd managed to break it on Friday night but after a few tweaks and doh! moments I'm sorted. Really can't recommend the Koil Kutter highly enough. Thanks Dave (if you happen to see this!). :dance::Y::dance:

Karenl
12-04-2010, 10:26 PM
I just placed an order for the Koil Cutter today. I can't wait for it to arrive :) I need to shop for wire. I'm not sure which to choose. Do I buy the half hard or soft wire for sterling jump rings?

Karen

mizgeorge
12-04-2010, 10:27 PM
I just placed an order for the Koil Cutter today. I can't wait for it to arrive :) I need to shop for wire. I'm not sure which to choose. Do I buy the half hard or soft wire for sterling jump rings?

Karen

depends on the gauge IMO. I prefer dead soft for most things (as it's easier to harden than to anneal), but tend to opt for HH below 1mm. You MUST adjust the mandrel size to allow for springback though.

Karenl
12-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Hi George,

So anything below 1mm use hard and 1mm + use soft? Is it just trial and error getting the mandrel size right? I would like to make some 3.5mm/1.0mm sterling rings (for byzantine and 4 in 1). Would I use soft wire and which mandrel would I use to have a finished ring size 3.5?

Thanks!

Karen

mizgeorge
12-04-2010, 11:24 PM
For 1mm wire and an AR of under 5, I'd stick with dead soft wire, which means you can use a 3.5mm mandrel and get very little springback.

For the smaller gauges (especially with larger ARs) use half hard, but consider reducing the mandrel size slightly (this is trial and error for the most part) if you're working on something that's AR sensitive. If you use hard wire, you will definitely need to adjust the mandrel size - but there are few occasions when fully hard wire would be appropriate IMO.

Do coil your wires mechanically (drill/screwdriver) to get accurate coils though.

hth

Karenl
12-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Hi George,

Thank you. Your comments are really helpful :)