PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with beads/stones

Gasconne
10-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Hello!
So far I have worked only with silver and am wary of setting stones as using bezel strips looks so fiddly that I'm sure to make a mess of it. Has anyone got any suggestions for me to get started with fairly simple setting?

Fi Wilson
10-02-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm just setting my first stone at the moment and am using a medium sized oval black onyx. I found the basics of how to do it in some basic jewellery technique books but there are some good videos on YouTube so you can see the process in reality.

Fi

Gasconne
16-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Well, I have taken the plunge and ordered some lampwork beads for a necklace....:Y:

nickr
21-02-2010, 10:23 PM
The how-to's are too long for here but I would suggest that you try bezel setting a hard stone cabochon as a first project. A round stone or largish oval will be a good choice and carnelian, agate or the like a good stone choice as they are hard and non-crystalline so less likely to crack or chip if your tools slip. You will need to keep your piece still whilst working on it so I would suggest mounting in pitch if you cannot clamp it. A ring clamp works for cufflinks as well as rings, pendants can be mounted on a wood or metal block. The bezel wall needs to be fairly thin and of even thickness at the top and not too tall otherwise it will distort as you rub it over. I use polished steel tools but finish off with an agate burnisher. You can make these but they are cheap enough to buy, try Blundell's in Hatton Garden. The agate burnishers are smashing for PMC as well.
Nick R

Gasconne
23-02-2010, 06:45 AM
:ta: I will have a go at my next workshop.

Dennis
23-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Unfortunately Blundells no longer sells tools, but there are two agate burnishers listed in the new Cookbook. If you really get into these there is a larger selection of shapes at www.fischer-pforzheim. They are called Poliersteine. Email info@fischer-pfortsheim for a catalogue.
Look under tips and tutorials on this forum for lots of contributions about bezel making. Kind regards Dennis.