PDA

View Full Version : What organisations do you belong to? (and which do you think are good!)

EmmaRose
28-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Just thought it would be interesting!
I am a member of
ACJ (Association Contemporary Jewellery)
SDC (Society of Designer Craftsmen, Licentate, sp?)
Crafts Central
RPS (Royal Photographic Society, Licentate, sp?)
PMC Guild
ACWUK (Art Clay World UK, aka Art Clay guild)

Em

caroleallen
28-07-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm only a member of Cornwall Crafts Assn and Hidden Art, which I don't think figure much in the great scheme of things. What are the benefits of being a member of the associations you mentioned?

EmmaRose
28-07-2009, 06:45 PM
depends which one? The ACJ at the moment, not much, unless you are in an area with an active region......
oh I forgot JeDeCo, jewellery designers collective.
Em

MuranoSilver
28-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Oooh
British Jewellers Association (http://www.bja.org.uk/) - Really good, lots of benefits inc legal help and info.
SRAJD (http://www.srajd.com/) - The International Organization for Self-Representing Artists in Jewelry Design (I sponsor them as I think its good idea)
PMC Guild (http://www.pmcguild.co.uk/) (International membership) -If you're into PMC it's worth joining for the guild annuals and quarterly publications alone! (I also got a discount off my conference cost).
If I think of any others I'll let you know

Nicx

caroleallen
28-07-2009, 08:15 PM
I've thought of joining the enamelling guild but not sure it would benefit me much.

MuranoSilver
28-07-2009, 11:09 PM
I'd love to get better at enamel and give it a "proper" go
all the guild meetings seem to be Shropshire way though
(too far for me in East Anglia)
nic x

Ominicci
29-07-2009, 09:49 AM
I don't belong to any yet, but have been looking at local groups and collectives. ACJ was one that my tutor mentioned.

Do you have to be appraised in any way for these?

I think that anything like this is good especially if you can use logos in your literature or on websites to show your professionality (is that a word - it's what I mean though!)

EmmaRose
29-07-2009, 05:04 PM
SDC requires assessment, the others no.
Emma

ben b
01-08-2009, 08:17 PM

Petal
02-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks VM for the recommendation of the NMTF. I'll take that up, as I've got a stall at the end of the month and need insurances etc.

:cheers:

Jules x

p.s. I'm a member of the Beadworkers Guild, plus the Bead Society of GB. The Beadworkers Guild is good.

kymbi
02-08-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm also a member of the National Market Traders Fed ~ as well as the public liability and product liability cover it also includes employers liability, which is useful if you ever take someone along to help you out. I've also got cheap car insurance through the NMTF which includes me travelling to markets as a trader (and many won't entertain this occupation) + I got my merchant account set up for free by telling the bank I was a NMTF member.

I know a few people who do craft fairs and get their public liability insurance through Ian Wallace, who insure crafts people.