PDA

View Full Version : Rock tumbler for rocks & cleaning jewellery

Petal
28-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi Guys,

Having looked through my new book on wire wrapping it suggests buying a rock tumbler for cleaning jewellery. (I'm also keen on using some lovely stones I found in my back garden and wonder if I can use the same piece of kit for this as well?)

If so, thats lovely, as I can justify buying one piece of kit to do two jobs ...:-D Can any of you recommend one I could buy that is good for a complete beginner, but won't costafortune please?

I've had a quick look on the Cooksons site, but no luck.

Thanks a lot []
Jules x

ps_bond
28-07-2009, 03:27 PM
It's how I use mine. I have different drums for tumbling with shot - they have fins inside to encourage the shot to drop on the jewellery. Mine's a Beach IIRC - nothing fancy or expensive, but mostly works.

Except on the days the end caps leak, when I swear at it. I run it in a tray as a precaution...

mizgeorge
28-07-2009, 05:24 PM
You can use the same tumbler, but it's important to keep the media completely separate. The grits you use for polishing stones and sea glass are very different to the steel shot for metal barrelling/tumbling. Most people who do both keep separate barrels for the two different jobs.

My main recommendation is that unless you have a very large or separate space, try to get rubber barrels. The plastic ones are extremely noisy - especially for tumbling stones, which can take weeks.

I have a lortone 3a. Not the cheapest machine, and not the most expensive either, but I researched for a long time and decided it was the one for me. I've never regretted that decision!

ps_bond
29-07-2009, 08:42 AM
The Lortones are very nice... Thought about it, but went for the inexpensive Beach due to the level of anticipated use. The noise doesn't bother me because it's in the workshop, far from anywhere peaceful.

Ominicci
29-07-2009, 10:12 AM
I bought a tumbler when I started doing PMC (which I don't do anymore) and bought a new rubber barrel for it for polishing silver with steel shot. I also put mine on a tray Peter - not because it leaked, but in case it leaked - I am soooo cautious lol!

The Bijou Dragon
29-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Make sure you get a finned barrel for metal tumbling and a smooth one for rock tumbling as the finned barrel is needed to scoop up the shot and tip it onto your tumbled metal.

I bought mine off of e-Bay for a rather reasonable price (Budjens Bazaar I think it was called) he also sells the shot, media and everything you need as well as smooth or finned barrels! :Y:

Petal
29-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks everyone for giving me so much useful info. =D> I'm going to get a two barrel tumbler, with fins, so I can clean my jewellery in one and tumble my stones in the other... lovely !

Thanks
Jules x[]

The Bijou Dragon
29-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Remember also that if you by a 3lb tumbler and you buy two barrels that each barrel can only be 1.5lb a piece as the entire load (barrels and all) have to weigh a maximum of 3lb or you will put too much strain on your motor :)

Ominicci
30-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Phew - have just run around trying to find my rubber barrel as I didn't remember it having fins - but it does :D

bustagasket
30-07-2009, 12:16 PM
*adds to her ever groing wish list*

mizgeorge
30-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Well my Lortone doesn't have fins, and does the job perfectly :)

Lindyloo
03-08-2009, 05:27 PM
I am actually looking to buy my first barrel polisher, and didn't realise it was so complicated. :confused:

What are the fins you are talking about?
And should it be a metal topped barrel or rubber topped barrel for most jewellery pieces?
Is the rubber top kinder to gemstones (i.e. the ones that can go in the barrel)?
The rubber topped one we used to have at college always leaked, so they replaced it with a metal topped one which was better.
They also used to say something about the minimum hardness of a stone that was okay to put in the barrel, but I can't remember what that was - is it about a 7? :confused:

Green Monster
12-08-2009, 11:14 PM
The "fins" will be found in side the metal polishing barrels, just 3 or so raised lips inside the barrel that pick the shot up, a bit like the fins you see in a cement mixer.

If tumbling stones ensure they are all the same hardness in one barrel otherwise the harder ones will ruin the softer ones. Try to have the barrel about two thirds full or efficient tumbling.
To get all the info you could ever require on rock tumbling visit http://www.rocktumblinghobby.com/

cheers
G

caroleallen
13-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Well my Lortone doesn't have fins, and does the job perfectly :)

Is the Lortone the one that's hexagonal and clear? I've heard many good reports of that one. I've just forked out for a guillotine but that tumbler is next on my list. I've got 2 tumblers already but they do leak if I'm not careful.

bustagasket
13-08-2009, 06:40 AM
no that i know i am goiong to the IJL next month this is definately on my "must have" list you gotta buy at least one big item at these shows havent you? and thats mine! heehee still havent sorted out my train of porters to carry stuff but we shall see lol. So keep the comments coming on this please guys cos i shall be groping in the dark without advice from you guys :D

Tags
27-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Can I ask a daft question on barelling? We are investing in one shortly but is it right that you use steel shot for polishing silver? I would have thought that it would scratch it.

Lindyloo
27-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Yes, steel shot is correct. It's like using a burnisher on silver.

Emerald
27-08-2009, 10:06 PM
i have a 'brand new tumbler' still in its s box havent made enough stuff made yet to warrent filling it up it was bought from Cooksons for 125. +vat but i have seen recently advertised a clear barrel that is supposed to do the work in half the time now if ony i had waited......... dont like waiting!:-O

lesley
28-08-2009, 12:26 PM
I got a Lortone in December and I love it.
Caroleallen, the barrel is black rubber not clear.
I've noticed that Cooksons sometimes have an offer of tumbler, shot and soap in one that seems good value.

Suzedablooze
28-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I love my tumbler. I use it to polish PMC objects straight after firing. It works a treat.

I use it with metal shot but the trick is to make sure you put a decent amount (but not too much - about a tablespoon full) of detergent in with it and fill it 2/3 full with water.

Suze

mizgeorge
28-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Wow! That's a lot of detergent! I use half a teaspoon of barrelbrite and fill to about half an inch above the level of the shot + silver. I never fill my barrel more than about a third full in total or there isn't enough room for everything to move around enough.

btw, if anyone's still looking for pins, cookson's do have them, but call them points. Expensive compared to other suppliers though :(

Suzedablooze
28-08-2009, 03:58 PM
I tried it with smaller amounts of detergent at first, but it definately worked better with a bit more - maybe it is tumbler dependent?

I got a cheap one (very basic) from Manchester Minerals and maybe its not as effective and so needs a bit more lubrication?

lesley
28-08-2009, 04:19 PM
I only use about half a teaspoon of detergent too.
I got it from the PMC Studio with the tumbler. If I use too much I get a film on the silver which needs rubbing off.

Also, with that much, doesn't it froth up too much? I get lots of froth with just a small amount.

Suzedablooze
28-08-2009, 04:29 PM
I think I know what the difference is:

It might be because I live in a hard water area (Northumberland) - hence needing more detergent. If you live somewhere like London it would need less detergent as it's softer water.

mizgeorge
28-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Don't think so - our water is extremely hard (as it is in London, too).

Perhaps we're using different barrelling media?

Suzedablooze
28-08-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm using steel shot?

I did try with a smaller amount at first (as was indicated in the user guide) but it didn't do the job so I experimented until I found the optimum amount. To tell the truth, I almost gave up on tumbling at first as it was so unsuccessful, but now it works great - I can't work out what the difference is - do you think it could be the speed of the tumbler - mine is quite slow?

snow_imp
07-09-2009, 01:11 PM
I love this forum - every thread I look at answers another the questions I was wanting to ask!

Thanks for the help on this

CyberPaddy66
13-09-2009, 02:56 PM
WORD OF WARNING!!!

Those of you who are trying to keep to a budget and use the cheapest possible option be warned... We bough Steel Shot not the Stainless Steel Shot as it was about 1/2 the price... We also use household detergent instead of polishing compound because we simply don't have the money for the good stuff yet.

If you do not thoroughly dry your shot after use it will get surface rust, we are currently having to tumble our shot to get rid of this rust!!!

Save yourself the trouble and get the better shot! :(|

Fi Wilson
30-09-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't have a tumbler (yet - added to the Xmas wish list) and did an experiment with some stainless steel shot that I got when I kitted myself out at the beginning of the year. I used a glass jam jar with a third shot, water covering the shot to about an inch above it and a bit of washing up liquid. I shook it for 10/15 mins or so (god knows what the neighbours thought was going on!) and my pieces came out sparkling. Only trouble is I stored the shot in water with an inch above it in an airtight contained (as advised) and less than 24 hours after using it there was a horrible brown tinge to the water. I used it again last night. The shot looks fine but the brown tinge came out again. I've now dried off the shot properly and decided to store it dry from now on but does anyone know why the brown tinge is happening?

Fi

amazingbabe
30-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Well i have to say i must have the most inexpensive one on here (besides the jar ha ha) as i bought mine for €24.99 in Argos its the national geographic one,,, its in the kids section and it works a treat, i have had it for 2 yrs now and not a bother !!!!:V: