PDA

View Full Version : Ebay - Good jewellery sales channel or NOT?

angel85
08-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Hi, looking for some tips on how to get recognised more within ebay. I've dabbled a little but have never really managed to utilise ebay to its full potential in regards to generate extra sales. I've always felt the mass of competition makes it an difficult channel to use for me but I know some people do very well from it. Any suggestions would be great!

AmyG
08-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I've made a few sales on it but never really took off for me. I know the bidding mechanism is supposed to give ebay a real uniqueness over traditional sales channels but it never really worked for me.

One suggestion I could give you is to create a nice dedicated shop page with lots of product information and nice imagery.

mizgeorge
08-02-2010, 02:09 PM
There's so much tat on the bay now, it's really hard to get noticed, unless you have something truly unique, and the time to really promote it.

I think there are better places to sell jewellery, especially if it's higher end.

K-Pryor
31-03-2010, 10:40 AM
I agree, it is so so hard to find decent stuff online these days. Sometimes it doesnt even work out cheaper than if you went to a wholesale retailer. Thats what I tend to do, also going to their webpages as they sometimes give online discounts.

FVT
29-04-2010, 02:51 PM
I don't think eBay is the place to be with jewellery....WAY to much tat on there as mizgeorge quite rightly pointed out....plus people usually expect dirt cheap bargains, which is a bit gutting if you've put so much time and effort into making something, let alone the cost of the materials :-( Something like Etsy is probably I better bet, or have your own website and shop...that's something I'm leading up to, but still not quite ready :-/

Jemart
29-04-2010, 07:25 PM
As a marketing tool eBay can be useful - list a couple items everyday and include in each listing a link to your website.
Some items will do well and others will lose money but hopefully should generate traffic and ultimately sales.

jewellerybymia
29-04-2010, 07:54 PM
I agree with Jemart. Ebay is great for marketing and increasing website links into you, but there are so many cheap jewellery (obviously not handmade) that I don't think we can successfully compete with that. I find Etsy and Folksy better as people who go on there still expect a bargain, but at least quality as well.... ebay is not one of my favourites.
Mia x

Shaun750
05-07-2010, 11:09 PM
I've been trying with ebay for a while,and havent made my mind up yet.
I decided not to try an compete with the other jewellers on there and make something totally diffrent,so I could charge a worthwhile price.
My brother has been studying web stuff for years and sometimes listen.
There is a thing called conversion which means you need to get so many views before you are likely to get a sale. He said web marketers concider 1 sale for 100 views is a very good conversion.
I was selling a punk rock design name plate every time i got 30 views,which was just in time before it run out.
So you might have to list some thing for three months before you get a sale realistically.
I'm still making up my mind about it all.

LaVidalerie
24-07-2010, 09:52 AM
I've never felt that Ebay was good for quality handmade, I think Etsy is good but DaWanda is also worth a look, it's like a european Etsy (great if you are in Ireland as you can price Euros). It also has additional optional sections per listing for putting your listing in French and German - I've put some on mine on with just basic translations and sold based on searches in french & german. I'm currently trying the market place on FaceBook - has anyone had any sucess with this ?

Shaun750
24-07-2010, 05:07 PM
I've never felt that Ebay was good for quality handmade, I think Etsy is good but DaWanda is also worth a look, it's like a european Etsy (great if you are in Ireland as you can price Euros). It also has additional optional sections per listing for putting your listing in French and German - I've put some on mine on with just basic translations and sold based on searches in french & german. I'm currently trying the market place on FaceBook - has anyone had any sucess with this ?

I attempted to start with dawanda and artfire,they were both so akward to even start i gave up.After registering,they seemed to bring me around in a circle,I've got a short attention span,so didn't try more than three times.
I'm amazed how difficult things still are on the net still.I've been using it for years,but folks just starting,must have a teribble time.
Once I did register the whole focus on Dwanda was as if i was a punter,and offering me discounts? I doubt i will try them again,but you never know.
Etsy is a bit more rewarding,but still not much cop.I've had a few people doing cartwheels for a couples of designs,and then don't want to cough up at the end,but customers are funny in the real world as well. I used to get people put a ten pound deposit on a £400 braclet and never come back for it. After chrismas I used to have about £300 worth of deposits,but i had put away 3 grands worth of stock for 3 months,which was woarse!
I'm still giving the internet a go to see if it's possible to make 'some' money.I doubt it. Although the next thing is a website??
Even a basic jewellers shop would take more money in watch batteries,then you've got repairs and buying in scrap.Handmade would be just for fun.But there is a ton of stress and bills with it??
I like the idea of selling to germany/france.I was thinking of doing a bit of a bablelfish advert(on etsy),to see if it might work. I get the feeling the translation might sound a bit like the policeman on 'allo allo'

emroyjewels
24-07-2010, 05:43 PM
I have to say I find Dawanda confusing too ;-) It's lovely in theory, but the german side is definitely the place to be.

If you can babble away in German, it's worth having a go. I managed to list some of my items in German, but do struggle when customers ask me a question, and I have to try and respond with my school girl twang. I know how to ask the way to the station (as all good gcse pupils should), or order a beer, but talking about jewellery specifics is something my school didn't go in for!!!

Shaun750
24-07-2010, 08:30 PM
I have to say I find Dawanda confusing too ;-) It's lovely in theory, but the german side is definitely the place to be.

If you can babble away in German, it's worth having a go. I managed to list some of my items in German, but do struggle when customers ask me a question, and I have to try and respond with my school girl twang. I know how to ask the way to the station (as all good gcse pupils should), or order a beer, but talking about jewellery specifics is something my school didn't go in for!!!

I'm gonna let the idea stew a bit,I might attempt to have another go with Dawanda,just to see how the German /french side goes.I've sold to Canada,Aus and the US,so although I'll never be rich ,at least I can say I'm international