PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy/make 1cm ball ends

MuranoSilver
02-02-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm making a twisted Torc bangle for a gent two wires 3mm wide twisted and soldered. He wants ball ends on it (like his current bangle).
They need to be about a 1cm sphere.

Does anyone know a source for these or do you make them yourself?
Also the end of the bangle will be a wierd profile to join...
Do you drill into the ball end OR just flatten the end and join it to a flat spot
filed on the ball?
Nic x

mizgeorge
02-02-2010, 01:57 PM
I make my own. Just drill a small hole to let air/gas escape during fabrication, then make the hole the right size by drilling twice with the right size bit to match the wire, ensuring there's at least a tiny gap when you solder the ball on. Or make a solid ball and use the same drilling technique for a perfect fit.

MuranoSilver
02-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Do you make them by casting George - e.g. Delft
Nic x

ps_bond
02-02-2010, 02:24 PM
I dome them, personally.

Di Sandland
02-02-2010, 02:34 PM
I dome them, personally.

I have done the self same thing this week - just for the practice and using copper. But it's taught me that I can make ball ends for bracelets ;)

mizgeorge
02-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Domed, unless they're pretty small, in which case I just melt them into a depression in a charcoal block.

Di Sandland
02-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Domed, unless they're pretty small, in which case I just melt them into a depression in a charcoal block.

and that is my very favourite occupation - I have a whole jar full of silver balls. How sad is that?

agent_44
02-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Show us yer balls Di ;)

Lisa Quinn
02-02-2010, 03:04 PM
and that is my very favourite occupation - I have a whole jar full of silver balls. How sad is that?

Me too !! Do you think it is a jewellery makers addiction ?

Emerald
02-02-2010, 03:25 PM
But if they are hollow they will dent pretty quick on a blokes arms cookies sell solid but only up to 8mm i think

ps_bond
02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Depends how thick you make 'em :D

Petal
02-02-2010, 03:30 PM

Yeah, come on Di -

:wwopics:

MuranoSilver
02-02-2010, 03:35 PM
I think Di, Peter & George should show us their balls :-D
(only in the interest of helping me get the right result, lol)
Nic xx

mizgeorge
02-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Here's a couple of my balls (done to match some sunbaked beads from Lush Lampwork) from last week.

I've got some new ones in various designs in various stages of completion atm.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/mizgeorge/sunbakedsilver.jpg

to go with these
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/mizgeorge/bakedtwice2.jpg

(apologies to those who've already seen them)

I'll try to find a pic of a bangle end one later.

MuranoSilver
02-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Oh my Gawd - George that Bracelet is GORGEOUS!!!! =D>
Is that one of your handmade clasps I spy too??
Nic xx

mizgeorge
02-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks Nic :)
Yes it is - a black star diopside cab on this one.

MuranoSilver
02-02-2010, 05:00 PM
I really love Black Star Diopside and have a big cab set into an oval on a neck wire (must dig that out)
Those are your bead caps too aren't they :Y:
You really have a talent for making lamp work beads look elegant and finished.
When I make things with lampwork it always seems a bit clumsy & clunky,
I wish I had your flair with beads :">

Have you made anyother Lampwork arrangements recently?
I love seeing lamp work (especially as I have so many beautiful examples hoarded, lol)

Nicxx

nickr
24-03-2010, 10:33 PM
You can but single hole hollow balls from Cooksongold, just dont bash them with a mallet. You can also get semi-solid balls which need drilling. They are hollow but have a reasonable wall thickness so can be threaded

jille
25-03-2010, 06:32 AM
I'm certainly no expert but when i was on a course someone used large beads soldered on, they filled the hole so you couldn't tell it was a bead, it looked good, I want to have a go some time
jille

PS thanks to whoever it was that suggested The jewellers directory of decorative finishes, it came yesterday and i can't put it down, i love texture

MuranoSilver
25-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks Nick ~ cookies ones weren't big enough so I cast my own ;)
Jillie ~ great tip, they needed to be solid but I did toy with making them out of silver clay lol
Nic x