PDA

View Full Version : Prometheus Bronze Clay

MuranoSilver
02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Got my packages of the new Prometheus Bronze Clay today...
Firable at 700 Degrees C this bronze clay doesn't need the activated carbon!
The details are on the Prometheus Website (http://www.proclays.com/proclays.asp)
Haven't tried it yet but will try it in the next few weeks and tell you how I get on :Y:
Nic xx

ps_bond
02-02-2010, 11:49 AM
So... It doesn't need activated carbon, but you do need to wrap it in paper towels and ceramic blanket? The paper will absorb at least some of the oxygen in the bundle, not sure how much though.

Intriguing. What's so bad about the activated carbon though? Is anyone using stainless heat-treating foil along with carbon?

MuranoSilver
02-02-2010, 12:14 PM
I think the paper towels burning do the same job, in that they reduce the oxygen to the Bronze. I'll probably try firing some in carbon too, I have all the pans and it just seems less messy ;)

Not heard of stainless heat treating foil...what would that do (thinks I could try that too as I have 200g of the stuff for testing)
Nic x

ps_bond
02-02-2010, 12:23 PM
HT foil gives me an airtight package when I'm heating things... Steels, particularly; I also use it to bag up mokume for firing (with carbon in the bag as well!).

Sometimes I'll put a piece of paper in with steel to scavenge oxygen - the resulting CO2 puffs up the bag though.

I should probably mention that I've lost count of the number of cuts I've had off the stuff while not wearing gloves - it has very sharp edges...

ps_bond
02-02-2010, 12:25 PM
User manual for the stuff I have - http://www.knight-group.co.uk/stainless-steel/knufoil-user-manual.pdf

MuranoSilver
02-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Coolio I'll give anything a go - where can I get the foil?
and does it need to be fired in any particular way?
(will use gloves for making the pouch as I'm prone to slicing my fingers open)

I'm very excited about the foil option and might have to pull a 2am stint for experimentation.....
GAH - jewellery nerd in me is soooooo easy to entice! :-D
nic xx

MuranoSilver
02-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Just saw your instructions :Y:
Is the Knight group where you to get it from?
nic x

ps_bond
02-02-2010, 12:46 PM
It's one source; the other sources I've used have been US knifemakers supply places.

No idea what they charge per roll nowadays.