PDA

View Full Version : To tumble or not to tumble.. that is the question..

vsilvered
31-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi,

I've just started learning to make chain maille and made up a few weaves with my own hand cut rings.

I now have a Koil Kutter system (which I will play with this afternoon) and was wondering.... should I be tumbling the rings before I start making the weaves or after?

Regards,

Vi

mizgeorge
31-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Both.

Tumble after cutting to deburr and harden.

Tumble after weaving to polish.

hth

vsilvered
31-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Both.

Tumble after cutting to deburr and harden.

Tumble after weaving to polish.

hth

Many thanks for the info, George!

Regards,

Vi

WitchfordSilver
01-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Hi Vi

Let know how you get on with the Koil Kutter, as i'm looking for a jump ring cutter and would like your thoughts on it?

vsilvered
01-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Hi Vi

Let know how you get on with the Koil Kutter, as i'm looking for a jump ring cutter and would like your thoughts on it?

Will do!

Regards,

Vi

agent_44
01-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Hi Vi

The Koil Kutter is great value compared to the jump ringer - ancd churns out perfect rings :) It's a great system.

vsilvered
03-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi Vi

Hi Neil,

Finally tried out the Koil Kutter this evening on a 3'' coil of 1mm copper as a test. I've got a Proxxon FBS 240/E tool and the supplied instructions allowed me to set up the system in no time at all. All the bits fitted together with no problems. The system also came with a tiny wrench and allen key to tighten the cutter arbor to the tool.

I smoothed a little olive oil over the coil (this I believe, helps the cutting action and also helps preserve the blade), and within 5 seconds and a very smooth left-to-right action, I had 45 perfect flush-cut jump rings, requiring very little effort.

Dave Arens is a perfect gent ... I ordered my Koil Kutter on 26th December 2009, and it was in the US Postal system on the 27th! He's very quick to respond to any correspondence/queries and gives prompt acknowledgement of payment and shipping information.

For me, the Koil Kutter system is a cracking piece of kit, that saves me time and allows me to make what I want, when I want.

Hope this helps!

Vi

WitchfordSilver
04-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks Vi, sounds like i should be putting one down on my next tools list.

I do find it a pain to cut 300 or so rings so i hope the spare cash for the next tool list purchase is not to far away.