PDA

View Full Version : Reticulation - wow

SuseA
27-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm just back from my evening class where I had my first go at some reticulation - what fun! Our class is very informal with people doing whatever they want and our fabby tutor helps us along the way. I remembered a class quite some time ago, where she showed us newbies the technique, so tonight I thought - why not have a go. I am so thrilled with the results and really like the fact that this technique is a bit uncontrollable, in that each time you'll end up with different results.

I'll post up some pics over the weekend (if I've got the right permissions on my user account) and see what you all think. The only thing is I'm not sure what to do with the piece - probably going to halve it and make a set of earrings.

I do love 'bashing' and 'melting' stuff.

Rustic Charm
27-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I love reticulation, i use it quite a bit,(there are some pics in my album and on my site) i like the fact that you never really know how things will turn out!!

caroleallen
27-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Have a look at the Kernowcraft site at the crinkle metal. Looks really interesting.

MuranoSilver
27-01-2010, 09:51 PM
I thought the crinkle metal looked interesting too
the only thing that put me off ordering it was the purity...
My pieces tend to end up over 7.78g and I was worried it would
stop it getting hallmarked :confused:
nic x

SuseA
28-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Hey Bridget - I did have a look at your album and I do love those reticulated pieces.

Can I ask - how did you get those 'wiggly' lines on two of your pieces (the reticulated 22.7.9 pic and the one with rhodonite 26.2.9). Are they pieces of soldered on wire? Also, what depth of silver works best?

I'm planning on making a reticulated bangle for a friend and I'm not sure what depth to make it.

Thanks

Rustic Charm
28-01-2010, 04:03 PM
The wiggly lines were just wire that i had put on before i heated and it fused itself, on the rhodonite one had the wire added later just by fusing, as for thickness i use various thicknesses whatever i happen to have really but i think 1mm is fairly good all rounder.

SuseA
28-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks for that...so, did you put the wire on, after the annealing bit, and before you heated to its melting temperature? I'm surprised the wire did not just melt! anyway I think I'll have a go at a few practice pieces with some off cuts of silver and see what happens. It's such fun just having a go :)

Rustic Charm
28-01-2010, 08:40 PM
I think it was after annealing, it was just trial and error really x

Mary
29-01-2010, 09:38 AM
I love reticulation, i use it quite a bit,(there are some pics in my album and on my site) i like the fact that you never really know how things will turn out!!
Love the hammered leaf design asa well as the reticulation abstract pieces.

mizgeorge
29-01-2010, 10:19 AM
I've had a reply back from Kernowcraft about the crinkle metal, with the results from the Assay Office. They confirmed the composition, but are only able to mark 800 standard rather than Sterling. So not for me I'm afraid, which is a shame as I thought this looked interesting.

Ominicci
29-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks for that George - I think I asked the question in another thread (or even on the other side), but haven't checked for a reply yet.

SuseA
29-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I think it was after annealing, it was just trial and error really x

Thanks - seems that's often the best way to do things. I will have a go at putting some wire onto some practice pieces and see what happens.