PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at working with metal

Petal
26-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Well, I've finally gone on a course and these two are my 'babies'. I just love the colour of the copper and how it has reacted to the heat. It was great fun using the rolling mill and I had a go at hammering, sawing :'( and soldering!

xxx

ps_bond
26-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Nicely done - love the texture on both. What leaves did you use for the hearts?

Sawing does get easier with practice, honest - then it's quite relaxing.

Petal
26-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Nicely done - love the texture on both. What leaves did you use for the hearts?

Sawing does get easier with practice, honest - then it's quite relaxing.

Thanks for the compliments P. The leaf was one that my trainer (Jo) had in a bag, but I love leaves with a passion. Got loads of them at home and want to incorporate them into my future designs. Jo's rolling mill was 'the business' and really easy to use too. I did find sawing relaxing, just a bit too time consuming for me, but then I was keen to learn as much as I could in one day!

ps_bond
26-01-2010, 01:49 PM
I used to have some nylon leaf skeletons that gave really sharp impressions in roll printing - can't for the life of me find any like them now.

Lisa Quinn
26-01-2010, 03:45 PM
So glad that you enjoyed your day Jules and you quite clearly have produced some lovely pieces on your course.

lynnm
26-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Well, I've finally gone on a course and these two are my 'babies'. I just love the colour of the copper and how it has reacted to the heat. It was great fun using the rolling mill and I had a go at hammering, sawing :'( and soldering!

xxx

Soldering is my new passion! In fact my tutor watched me all the time as I got so mesmerised by the colours etc and was in danger of melting everything! lol I have been told now though that I am good at it so all was not lost! Isn't copper wonderful to? I absolutely adore it!

Petal
27-01-2010, 04:17 PM
One of the many techniques I'd like to improve is making a hole. I made the earring holes with a bow drill and it had very ragged edges.

How do you guys do them????

MuranoSilver
27-01-2010, 05:48 PM
I helps if you always drill a very small pilot hole first :)

lorraineflee
27-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Super things, well done!
Lorraine

Dennis
27-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Do you make these holes in your ears? What women suffer for fashion!

Ominicci
29-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Love the textures on both pieces! You've done well there!

Petal
30-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Aw thanks for the compliments Nicci. I enjoyed the textures so much and the colour that comes with working copper that I bought the Jinks McGrath book! Now all I've got to do is cut my copper pipe and get playing.

bob flemming
31-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Lovely pieces. welcome to a very addictive hobby!