PDA

View Full Version : Fitting bezels to curved surfaces

ps_bond
25-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Haven't done any tips in a while, so...

Here's one way of making bezels fit to curved surfaces - such as large cabochons onto cuff bracelets, for example.

When making up the bezel, I tend to install a heftier piece of metal than normal for the bezel shelf. I do this primarily to support the structure of the bezel during the subsequent filing. The shelf needs to support the stone clear of the surface, so make sure there's plenty of depth to it - you can take it away easily, adding it back is trickier.

I invariably file a rough curve into the bottom of the besel at this point.

Using engineer's marking (not layout) blue - or Prussian blue oil paint, it's got a fair few similarities - I put a thin smear across the curved surface, then touch the bezel to it. Where the metals contact, there will be a blue mark left on the bezel. File it away... Repeat this until the entire bottom of the bezel shows blue and you will have a perfect fit.

Then clean it all up. The blue does like to get everywhere!

MuranoSilver
25-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Great tip -I've even got Prussian Blue lol
nic x

mizgeorge
25-01-2010, 02:30 PM
I use articulating strips from a dental supply company for things like this - the ones they make you bite on to check how a filling fits?

ps_bond
25-01-2010, 02:34 PM
I know the ones - there's also Seat Check powder (can't remember the correct dental name for it offhand); it burnishes to a colour change where the contact points are - it's designed for crown fitting IIRC, but works well for stone setting.

I don't think the dentists would be popular using marking blue to check fit though...?

mizgeorge
25-01-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't think the dentists would be popular using marking blue to check fit though...?

LOL at the idea though ;)

Ominicci
25-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I get Peter's method but not your's George; how do you use the strips? What are they? Does the metal to metal cut straight through it? I don't think I've seen or used these strips at a dentist.

mizgeorge
25-01-2010, 11:06 PM
I get Peter's method but not your's George; how do you use the strips? What are they? Does the metal to metal cut straight through it? I don't think I've seen or used these strips at a dentist.

Articulating strips are the blue one side/red the other thin strips that you get asked to 'tap' your teeth together onto to check if a filling/crown/whatever, fits properly. They do the same for metal - where the two parts touch they'll leave a blue mark on one side and a red one on the other. Just enough to see where to file.

ps_bond
26-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Funnily enough, this seems to be a current discussion on Ganoksin too. One of the more useful tips I've seen so far is to use a piece of abrasive paper held on top of the bracelet to make a scratch pattern on the bezel to check for fit.

agent_44
26-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Sounds like it could be a little less messy :)

amazingbabe
26-01-2010, 10:55 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, interesting !!!!

ps_bond
26-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Sounds like it could be a little less messy :)

Yes, although there would be the thickness of the paper to contend with; effectively you'd increase the radius you were fitting to.

In practical terms, not by all that much though...!

The marking blue solution is a fine-tolerance engineering fitting solution.

agent_44
26-01-2010, 11:29 AM
That's true, I'd like to try this out next time I'm doing this actually is the Prussian Blue easy to get hold of?

ps_bond
26-01-2010, 11:48 AM
I can't remember the name of the art supply place in the centre of Bath, but they'll have it. Go for one of the student grades if you're using it, not the expensive stuff.

It may need thinning down with some oil - again, don't get hung up on the costly stuff. The idea is to have a thin smear of non-drying stuff.

If you thin Prussian blue with some meths, you can wipe that over your metal and then scribe through the thin layer once it dries. Other solutions include using a large felt-tip pen or layout blue (a common one is Dykem - the aerosol stuff goes all over the place, be warned).

Possibly worth mentioning: wikipedia and I disagree on marking vs layout blue; they feel they're one & the same, and what I am referring to as marking blue is "engineer's blue". Don't know if this is a language barrier thing or if I've been brought up with the wrong term - but the tube I have is "Engineer's marking blue"!

agent_44
26-01-2010, 11:52 AM
OK thanks Peter :) I'm guessing you mean Minerva Art Supplies, that's the only one I can think of. I'll try and get some when I am in town next.

ps_bond
26-01-2010, 12:05 PM
That's the one!