PDA

View Full Version : Threading solutions for large beaded braclets.

lynseysorefingers
18-01-2010, 10:04 PM
hi,
Been making these large beaded bracelets for friends and family etc. However i've had to re-thread 2 of them as the thread seems to wear really quick. i use silk thread, no.10 thickness, using a double thread throughout and double knotting. Each knot then sealed with glue i got from bead shop.
Any advice/tips on how to make these bracelets more hard wearing?

mizgeorge
18-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Softflex/beadalon/flexrite 49 strand and wire guardians with a double crimp would get my vote.

Gemma
19-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Where are they fraying? If its at the clasp I'd recomend those thread guardian thingies. Silk should be strong enough but if the holes in the beads are not smooth then they can cut through anything (I've had beads cut through wire!) You can use a bead reamer to smooth out any rough edges

lynseysorefingers
19-01-2010, 08:39 AM
yeah, use the silver guards at the ends. it seems to be next to the red coral beads which have smaller holes. When i re-done my friends i used a reeming tool to open up the red coral beads. Fingers crossed it works. ta :snow:

aggi
21-01-2010, 01:44 PM
I had this problem also with using wire. Now I use silverguards, wire plus beading thread nymo D. It seems to hold.

lynseysorefingers
01-02-2010, 10:06 AM
thanks aggi,
i think i'll try out what you suggested. if it works i'll be happy as they seem very popular at the moment. x

chocolateteapot
19-03-2010, 01:18 PM
What Mizgoerge said, and defo double crimp each end...silk wont stand up to crimps and the insides of the beads that will wear it away.
Tracy

Lynne Glazzard
05-04-2010, 11:17 AM
I love softflex heavy for really big glass beads, seems to be really durable