PDA

View Full Version : Burr lubricant - is mine OK?

bob flemming
17-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Hi,

I'm obsessed with stonesetting at the moment and bought some cut lube from Cooksons to lubricate my stonesetting burr. It's this: Burr Life Lubricant - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Burr-Life-Lubricant-prcode-998-021)

The description says that it's greasy but mine is more a compacted powder. Does anyone else use this and can you tell me what yours is like, please?

Thank you!

Bob

WitchfordSilver
17-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Bob, mine looks just yours. dusty wax, i did hit it with a flame once to see if it melted like wax which it did. So i still rub it on the saw blades and it does seem to work.

mizgeorge
17-01-2010, 07:25 PM
That's the one I use for all my cutting. I just use a lighter to melt the top a bit before use and it's much less powdery and messy that way.

bob flemming
18-01-2010, 01:40 AM
Ah great, thanks for the confirmation that mine is ok. Will give it a little melt and see how I fare with that.

[Apologies for the weird time of reply. Insomnia.]

MuranoSilver
18-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Bob we have quite a few insomniacs here ~
no wonder so many of us slice our fingers and set fire to stuff
we're probably sleep making!

Glad you got your question answered though :Y:
Nic xx

Dennis
20-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Burr Life and beeswax work fine if using a motor, but I find that I can do a better job by turning the burrs by hand in a pin vice and using a few drops of 3inone oil to dip them in.First a round burr and then a stone setting burr to finish off.It is not too slow and the burrs last much longer that way.Hope someone agrees. Dennis.

lynnm
20-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Bob we have quite a few insomniacs here ~
no wonder so many of us slice our fingers and set fire to stuff
we're probably sleep making!
Nic xx

I am usually around at weird times... always up for a chat to!