PDA

View Full Version : easy solder syringe

Trish
17-01-2010, 03:43 PM
how do I use solder from a syringe? Does it need flux ? what is the best way to store it? :~:

mizgeorge
17-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Solder paste is pre-fluxed, so just squeeze it onto the joint. You only need a very small amount.

Take care not to heat the paste directly, allow the heat from the metal to melt it or you'll end up with spent solder and an open join though!

I store mine, erm, lying on the bench :) I do keep the top on though, and I always use a needle tip.

Trish
17-01-2010, 04:05 PM
thanks so much and what a fast reply , now I can try it for those fiddly silver posts. :)

fi79
18-01-2010, 12:08 PM
:threadjacked:

Learning to solder is on my "to do" list for this year but I'm a bit daunted by it all. Is syringe solder an easy introduction (so to speak) because you don't need to worry about flux etc. or should I just dive right in? Also what is syringe solder suitable for? I think I'll initially only be wanting to solder jump rings - can it be used for this?

amazingbabe
18-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Solder paste is the way to go. I just love it ...... My lives on my bench too, George i cant get the solder out through that needle ??? :-"

Di Sandland
18-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Solder paste is the way to go. I just love it ...... My lives on my bench too, George i cant get the solder out through that needle ??? :-"

Neither can I Gayle. It is much easier with the smaller syringes. George knows where they are available; I know one place is Argex (http://www.argex.co.uk/prodotti/pag05.htm#) but I haven't used them because you have to telephone the order (don't like phones).

With the bigger syringe (I got mine from Cooksons) I squeeze a splodge out onto the soldering board (without the needle) and then put it where I want it with my tweezers or a cocktail stick.

amazingbabe
18-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I removed the needle and lid from mine Di and i too use a cocktail stick and put a (splodge) ha ha on whatever i am soldering xx:Y:

mizgeorge
18-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Rashbel also have the small syringes. Much, much easier to use, and less wastage imo :)

kymbi
18-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the tip George (no pun intended) :Y:

I've only got the large size syringes and use a cocktail stick or solder pick to get it out and onto the right place.

WitchfordSilver
18-01-2010, 10:06 PM
I've been trying to find a thing that fits on the syringes and allows you to control the amount of paste that comes out the tip.

Has a side leaver that you squeeze to the body of the syringe to press the plunger in a small amount.

Until i find one I will continue to squeeze out a line on a piece of masking tape stuck to the bench. Then move the paste to the work with a solder pick.