PDA

View Full Version : Where to get my sponsor's/maker's mark??

mochiandmocha
15-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi!
I've read tons of threads about these and I know quite a lot about these now thanks to you all. One question remains: where can I get one done for me? Just the maker's mark, or even a personalised punch with a word, mini logo. I already punch my jewellery because it's underweight but I'd really like my own mark at the back, too!
So what kind of company can make that for me?
Thanks!!

Fi Wilson
15-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi, I ended up getting mine from the States from microstamp.us (http://www.microstamp.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=85) as I couldn't find anyone in the UK. There are people who will laser etch your mark into tags but I also wanted to be able to imprint my mark into PMC and other stuff. I don't remember it breaking the bank but the rubbish exchange rate at the time and also getting stung for the customs charge c.£17 did make it seem more expensive than it was. Worth the investment though as I'm free to make my mark in whatever I want.

Fi

mochiandmocha
15-01-2010, 02:09 PM
ok i'll have a look thanx.

BTW do you know the link to your site doesn't work?

Fi Wilson
18-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Grrr! Sorry! That's always happening with my web links. #-o Think I'm doing something wrong! If you go to www.microstamp.us (http://www.microstamp.us) that should get you there. Hopefully!!

Fi

lynnm
18-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Grrr! Sorry! That's always happening with my web links. #-o Think I'm doing something wrong! If you go to www.microstamp.us (http://www.microstamp.us) that should get you there. Hopefully!!

Fi

I think she meant the one to the Indigo Blue site as that doesn't work

mochiandmocha
18-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Yes, I was able to go to microstamp, but I could not go to your own site Fi as your link doesn't work.

Kalorlo
18-01-2010, 09:47 AM
The link in your signature says http://www.inidigobluejewellery.co.uk/ rather than indigoblue

mizgeorge
18-01-2010, 09:54 AM
If you register your makers mark with one of the assay offices, and have a punch made by them, you can opt to retain that and use it yourself. You simply send it in with the work to be assayed when you need to have something hallmarked. Why restrict yourself to only being able to make stuff below 7.78g?

Fi Wilson
18-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Doh! Thanks Heather. Signature web link now sorted.

I was thinking of exploring the makers mark option with the assay office too when I finally get round to that sometime this year. I think the stamp that I've had made up will be too large for what they will allow but as I use my stamp on my tags that I put next to the bolt ring I think I might be OK. Suppose having one for rings with the assay office would be the sensible option.

Fi

daisychain
18-01-2010, 11:56 AM
If you register your makers mark with one of the assay offices, and have a punch made by them, you can opt to retain that and use it yourself. You simply send it in with the work to be assayed when you need to have something hallmarked. Why restrict yourself to only being able to make stuff below 7.78g?

And if you are a full or part-time silversmithing/jewellery student you can get the registration package and punch made a lot cheaper, at least that's the case at London at Goldsmiths' Hall. It's £30 with £30 put on account for hallmarking fees for you if you're full time and £60 (but nothing on account!) if you're part time (at least it was when I checked again before Christmas!). Even if you just do a day workshop with someone who has their mark registered at Goldsmiths' then you meet the requirements as a parttime student. It's something I've organised for quite a few of my students.

amazingbabe
18-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Hi, I ended up getting mine from the States from microstamp.us (http://www.microstamp.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=85) as I couldn't find anyone in the UK. There are people who will laser etch your mark into tags but I also wanted to be able to imprint my mark into PMC and other stuff. I don't remember it breaking the bank but the rubbish exchange rate at the time and also getting stung for the customs charge c.£17 did make it seem more expensive than it was. Worth the investment though as I'm free to make my mark in whatever I want.

Fi

Can you stamp sterling silver work with this stamp or is it just pmc ????
would love to get my own stamp done xx:Y:

Fi Wilson
18-01-2010, 02:44 PM
I've been stamping my own sterling silver tags with it with no problems (see piccie). Takes a while to get the knack of how much whack to give it so I assume you should be able to use it on other pieces too.

Fi

mizgeorge
18-01-2010, 03:05 PM
I've been stamping my own sterling silver tags with it with no problems (see piccie). Takes a while to get the knack of how much whack to give it so I assume you should be able to use it on other pieces too.

Fi

But presumably you're not selling these ;)

Fi Wilson
18-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Not selling anything over the 7.something gram mark. The stamp I've got is more a logo rather than a marker's mark which I will get done properly with my initials from the assay office.

mochiandmocha
19-01-2010, 05:14 PM
nice bracelet Fi!

Julie Moss
24-01-2010, 04:49 PM
If you qualify for either a full/part-time student I would definately get a makers mark registered with the London Assay Office. It's a really good price especially when you consider that a punch from them costs £60 alone.

If you're not eligible for the offer, I would still register for a makers mark. £47 to have that mark for £10 years is not at all bad (and you get the option of renewal at the end of that time) and you don't have to get your punch made/supplied by the Assay Office of your choice as there are other people who will make up the punch for you - just remember that you must get it registered with them before you use it if you go down this route.

Julie

York School of Jewellery- classes and courses in jewellery (http://www.york-school-of-jewellery.co.uk)

MuranoSilver
24-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Fi
loving your little stamp it's fabulous :)

Fi Wilson
25-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Hee, thanks! :Y: Must admit, paying for it was a little painful but it makes it all worthwhile when you've got a little logo on your piece that make's it yours.

Fi

MuranoSilver
25-01-2010, 01:35 PM
I've just found OttoFrei do custom design stamps (http://www.ottofrei.com/store/product.php?productid=7691&cat=1288&page=1)too :)
Nic x

lynnm
25-01-2010, 03:36 PM
oh.... I really want one now!

MuranoSilver
25-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Infinity Stamps (http://www.infinitystamps.com/) also do them and they look fabulous!
Nicx

SilverKiss
18-02-2010, 11:15 AM
It's sad isn't it.

But, there's hope! My tutor at York School of Jewellery recommend me to get my punches from a guy called Greg Mason. Works in the jewellery Q in Brum - 22 Tenby St, B1 3EE.

Just spoken to Greg, and he says that he does sponsors marks for around £30. It depends on size and whether they are straight/crooked, but definitely a lot cheaper than the assay office here in Sheffield.

*Please PM silverkiss for phone number*

I'll be getting some done soon, so will let you know the outcome.

snow_imp
18-02-2010, 01:57 PM
That's interesting Ian - I thought we had to get the punches through the assay offices.

ps_bond
18-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Not for the sponsors mark; it has to be to the pattern agreed with the Assay Office though. You can retain it & mark the work yourself if you're so inclined.

snow_imp
18-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Hm, I was thinking of getting a larger sized punch at some point - I only have the smallest one available for the moment - so this information is very useful. Thanks.

lorraineflee
18-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Hm, I was thinking of getting a larger sized punch at some point - I only have the smallest one available for the moment - so this information is very useful. Thanks.

My thoughts too. Providing I can see/remember what mine looks like!! Perils of ageing eyesight and not making a note of which one I chose!
Lorraine

SilverKiss
18-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Yes, as Peter says, you can apply the sponsors mark yourself. In fact, there are some benefits to be had from doing that:

- you don't have to pay the assay office to do it (though, for me, the mimimum charge always kicks in, so it makes no difference)

- you get it done properly. Don't know about the other assay offices, but Sheffield seem to botch my mark far too often. The other 3 are always neat, but not mine.

- you get it exactly where you want (well, assuming that you can aim). Yes, I know you can tell them anyway, but I sent in a pendant once, thinking that it would be marked on the back so didn't bother with putting pen marks on, and they went and marked it on the wire bail. Looked a right mess.

- you get the rest of the marks where you want too.... 'cos they have to follow your one.

Di Sandland
18-02-2010, 04:21 PM
- you get it exactly where you want (well, assuming that you can aim). Yes, I know you can tell them anyway, but I sent in a pendant once, thinking that it would be marked on the back so didn't bother with putting pen marks on, and they went and marked it on the wire bail. Looked a right mess.

LOL - our Jay sent in a beautiful piece with a request for a feature laser mark. Paid extra too. Shame they applied it upside down. Bit worrying really - you do all that work then they cock it up and have the gall to charge you for it.

SilverKiss
18-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Yes, Di, the standard of laser marking is no better than struck marks. I did some ear-rings shaped like windsurfing sails and got the laser marks put on the front to look like sail numbers. They put them in different places. You'll just see it in the photos (Unique Contemporary Silver Jewel (http://www.silverkiss.co.uk/Sets/Set%20002%20-%20Sails.html))

Di Sandland
18-02-2010, 07:12 PM
knob 'eds (sorry Nic)

SilverKiss
26-02-2010, 08:02 PM
for the record, I asked Greg's permission to put his details on the forum.

Emerald
26-02-2010, 08:41 PM
well i am sure we would all ask permission but if you are running a business selling punches suitable for hallmarking and someonee posts your name on a forum for jewellers surley the next step would be to kiss that persons feet !!!!!

lesley
26-02-2010, 08:43 PM
That would seem to be totally spumfunch., Jo.

Emerald
26-02-2010, 08:46 PM
so glad Lesley you agree and your use of exclamations know know bounds :X

well i think you are agreeing?

lesley
27-02-2010, 01:02 AM
well i think you are agreeing?

You bet your bobbing bumpers I am. :cheers:

Julie Moss
27-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Glad to hear that Ian.

Just to reiterate - the information was for everyone's benefit - you really can't be too careful re: data protection...

Don't forget that any sponsors mark punches you do source elsewhere still need to be registered with your Assay Office before using them.

Julie Moss
Vice Principal
York School of Jewellery

Bigwol
28-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Glad to hear that Ian.

Just to reiterate - the information was for everyone's benefit - you really can't be too careful re: data protection...

Don't forget that any sponsors mark punches you do source elsewhere still need to be registered with your Assay Office before using them.

Julie Moss
Vice Principal
York School of Jewellery

Surely not!

As I understand it, once you have a sponsors mark registered with the assay office, you are at liberty to have punches made by anyone.

The only thing the assay office register is an agreed sponsors mark design - in my case, the letters are in rectangle.

Once this is agreed anyone can make the punches as long as they conform to the design agreed for your mark.

Of course - if you know different . .

SilverKiss
28-02-2010, 08:44 PM
No, Julie's right. You have to register each punch regardless: there's no cost for doing it ('cept postage).

But, like you, I've no idea why.

Caveat: I know its the case with Sheffield, and Julie will certainly know for London. Might be worth checking re the others, but can't imagine they would be different. But there's me trying to apply logic.

redrose72
20-03-2010, 07:58 PM
All punches have to be registered as part of the Hallmarking Act 1973.

I'm with Edinburgh and the same applies.

Fi Wilson
21-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Right, so just to clarify... I've got a punch with my logo (not a hallmark) that I use on tags for necklaces and bracelets. Would I have to get this registered with the Assay Office?

Going to be registering with Edinburgh in the next month or so for my own makers mark so would be useful to know.

Thanks,
Fi

mizgeorge
21-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Right, so just to clarify... I've got a punch with my logo (not a hallmark) that I use on tags for necklaces and bracelets. Would I have to get this registered with the Assay Office?

Going to be registering with Edinburgh in the next month or so for my own makers mark so would be useful to know.

Thanks,
Fi

No, you don't need to register a logo punch. If you use a tag, you can put your logo on one side, and the hallmark can be applied on the reverse.

Fi Wilson
22-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Phew! Thank you. I was getting worried then! :Y: