PDA

View Full Version : Want to moan about the weather???!

Solunar Silver Studio
27-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Hey guys...has anyone out there seen anything like summer recently? I'm not after 'a scorcher' as then it's too hot to work with kiln and flame - but just a normal British summer! A little bit warmer than winter...a little bit drier than winter...and a little bit less stormy and windy than winter!
I've been waiting for ages to get a day when I can photograph my work outside using (diffused) natural lighting, as I haven't got any lights, but every half reasonable day (light wise) has been accompanied by a gale force wind so it's impossible to hold everything down!!:eek:
Today is not looking too promising so far either.....sigh!:rolleyes:
Barbara

AlexandraBuckle
27-07-2009, 08:21 AM
The weather forecast is not looking brilliant all week at the moment :(

myke
27-07-2009, 09:18 AM
The weather forecast is not looking brilliant all week at the moment :(
well you need to move to west highlands of scotland it has been really nice summer so far in saying that it is a bit damp to day but warm.great for the midge.

Charlotte
27-07-2009, 09:37 AM
:rain: lol, I don't mind it being bad at the moment, I'm hoping its saving the sunny days for September;)

AlexandraBuckle
27-07-2009, 09:55 AM
:rain: lol, I don't mind it being bad at the moment, I'm hoping its saving the sunny days for September;)

Yay! Me too!! :)))

MuranoSilver
27-07-2009, 11:42 AM
At least the rains good for the garden (she says, ever the optimist :-")

Nic x

bustagasket
27-07-2009, 11:43 AM
You mean there is an outside world with weather?????

The Bijou Dragon
27-07-2009, 01:15 PM
You mean there is an outside world with weather?????

Don't worry, I don't believe them either lol <:)- < lol love the new smilies!

Coco
29-07-2009, 09:56 PM
So am I the only one loving this weather then? I hope it rains forever!!!! :rofl:

The Bijou Dragon
29-07-2009, 10:35 PM
So am I the only one loving this weather then? I hope it rains forever!!!! :rofl:

Oh no, I love cooler weather if it gets above about 18 degrees it makes me feel very poorly and miserable.

EmmaRose
30-07-2009, 01:05 PM
well I don't mind except I was going to pop to Tesco and now there is a storm! (oh and not just for food......a stick lighter to get rid of bubbles in resin, a nail brush to clean out some mold plates, some baby wipes for a smooth silver clay finish.....even supermarkets can be jewellery suppliers :D)
Em
oh wait, did I say storm? its hailing now!

The Bijou Dragon
30-07-2009, 02:10 PM
We went out to Sainsbury's late last night and it was throwing it down... although it has to be said not as much as a few weeks ago where we had rain so heavy lots of little flash floods and we were out going to Sainsbury's again.

London had turned into a wasteland,... flooded roads, crashed cars, steaming roads, blues and twos EVERYWHERE, stranded cars... it was utterly surreal!!!

It thundered and rained a bit this morning but it's windy and very blue skies here now... you can even see the copper chopper zooming around... if you don't see it every 5 minutes in London then there's something wrong lol

Solunar Silver Studio
30-07-2009, 03:07 PM
some baby wipes for a smooth silver clay finish.....
Em

Er - could you take me through that one Em...I've not seen that in any of my books...technique please...and benefits!! This is what I am missing by not doing any classes...the little tricks of the trade!:'(

And while I am at it...do any of you silver clay people know about 'leather clay' or something like that... I think it was Hadar Jacobson's (is that right??) website that I saw mention of it...where you can keep the clay so flexible that you can plait it!! (insert gobsmacked smilie!). Using knowledge from a past life(!) I guess it has something to do with glycerine and emailed her to ask...I got a very nice reply...but no answer!! I have tried a tiny piece of clay with a drop of glycerine and did manage to plait it so I think I am on the right lines...I just would like to know the FACTS and proportions before I commit a large lump of clay to experimenting!!
Barbara

MuranoSilver
30-07-2009, 03:25 PM
What Barbara
Tips of the trade - Free??? Well OK seeing as it's you ;)
Baby Wipes, as well as being great for cleaning up your fingers they're also good as a final wet polish before kiln firing.
Get the piece to baby skin smooth using your usual sanding methods then gently wipe it over with a baby wipe.
It give you a nice smooth surface (once fired) and is particularly useful if you want to mirror finish :Y:

Here's Hadar Jacobsens Tutorial on how to make Flexible Clay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0xRNBh34JY

Nic x

Solunar Silver Studio
30-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Oh Brill!! Thank you so much!:X:X Just looked at youtube...back to mud pies again! I'll be in my element!!:D
Barbara

Coco
04-08-2009, 06:02 PM
It's too darn......muggy!

I want the rain back!!!!:rain:

Lindyloo
04-08-2009, 07:25 PM
No rain please. I'm taking the kids to Bournemouth next week!:~:

EmmaRose
07-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Barbara you can also use metal clay veneer to make flexible clay. For Hadar's version you can get glycerine at our chemists. Yes baby wipes help, I use the 3M sanding pads first (fine sanding grits on a sponge back) the the baby wipe. Sooo much easier than polishing sterling silver...... or fine silver for that matter (laughs maniacally :-D)
Em

bustagasket
07-08-2009, 02:19 PM
its too darn muggy !!!!