PDA

View Full Version : Hello

ani_b
13-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Hi All,

I've only recently started making jewellery after someone bought a jewellery making set for my daughter:) Now after finding pictures on Flickr, I'm totally addicted to chain maille and can't wait for a new set of rings to come through the post so I can start my next piece.
After a lot of ifing and buting, I finally decided to buy a tumbler with my Christmas money and now everything's lovely and shiny!

I love it!

mizgeorge
13-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Hi Ani,
You need to get yourself a jewellers saw and start cutting your own rings :) No more waiting for the postman that way!

ani_b
14-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Thanks George, I did get a saw for Christmas but we're having a few issues regarding holding the coil while sawing. Am just looking at clamps or is there an easier way?

lynnm
14-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Welcome to the forum. I cut mine against my peg, makes it lots easier

ani_b
14-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Hi Lynnm and thank you.
Have you cut a v into your peg and then wedge the coil into that or just hold them in place on the peg while sawing?

Petal
14-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Thanks George, I did get a saw for Christmas but we're having a few issues regarding holding the coil while sawing. Am just looking at clamps or is there an easier way?

I'm sure someone, or George will tell you how to saw coils - there's definitely an easier way to do it.

:welcome: to the forum Ani. This forum is a real time stealer, so beware its addictive! :~:

mizgeorge
14-01-2010, 08:15 AM
For large quantities of rings, I actually find it easiest to cut them with the coil held between my thumb and index finger. It feels slightly odd at first not to be sawing 'down', but in the end is actually more efficient - and far fewer dropped rings!

I'd never clamp coils, too much risk of distortion. You can use a wooden or bamboo mandrel (knitting needle) and leave that inside the coil if you find it easier.

Some people tape their coils - I think it makes a sticky mess, and again, the rings can distort when you remove the tape if you're using thinner wire gauges.

MuranoSilver
14-01-2010, 08:19 AM
I only do a few at a time and saw from the inside
(you thread your saw through the coil, then tension it)
I had to learn this way as I kept slicing my fingers #-o
nic xx

lynnm
14-01-2010, 09:37 AM
I use masking tape on mine then they don't pop off all over the place

lorraineflee
14-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi Ani and welcome to the forum!
Lorraine

Ominicci
14-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Hello from me too Ani :~:

Next time I cut coils I am going to try sawing from the inside out too.

lynnm
14-01-2010, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=ani_b;29782]Hi Lynnm and thank you.
Have you cut a v into your peg and then wedge the coil into that or just hold them in place on the peg while sawing?[/QUOTOops... just reread this... the answer is yes. My biggest problem is my insistence on all things being in straight lines and regular so I suggest when cutting the v not to put it bang smack in the middle... makes for more sense as things aren't always the same size *blush*

mizgeorge
14-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Hello from me too Ani :~:

Next time I cut coils I am going to try sawing from the inside out too.

It works OK if you're cutting a short coil with a reasonable ID, if your coil is long, or has a small ID, you end up with too many teeth in contact with the metal, which can make it hard work, and is more likely to scratch. Ideally, you should never be cutting more than two rings at any given time.

Fi Wilson
14-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Hi Ani, welcome to the forum. :~: I use different sized knitting needles as my mandrels. Once I've wrapped the coil I move the knitting needle back in my vice and then position the coil so it's just longer than the knitting needle. I then cut the coil AND cut into the end of the knitting needle which also forms a bit of a cutting guide in the slit you've made. It does hurt your holding hand at first but you get used to it.

Fi

Rustic Charm
14-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Hellooooooooooo!!:~:

AlexandraBuckle
15-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Welcome to the forum :~:

WitchfordSilver
15-01-2010, 09:40 PM
It's a welcome from them and a welcome me.:welcome:

Gemma
18-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Hello Ani and :welcome: from me too.
These ring cutting tips are great guys thanks!