PDA

View Full Version : Best torch?!

Unhindered
12-01-2010, 11:13 PM
I got the £19.99 torch from here a few months ago and only opened it up today, it doesnt seem to want to work, maybe im not putting enough gas in but it is only lighting a candle-like flame...

It is only intended to be a temporary torch anyways so I was wondering what torches people have and can recommend? I would be very grateful :) I'd rather not spend too much money but if I do need to I want it to be amazing and last forever!

Emerald
13-01-2010, 07:16 AM
You need to make sure the hole is fully open

a lot of us use this one and people all seem to have there own preference. I have a Sievert aswell which can be found elsewhere quite cheaply and i am more than happy with it.

Unhindered
13-01-2010, 09:54 AM
ok thanks yeh i definately have the hole fully open so maybe im not putting enough gas in, i will look at the sievert ones too

MuranoSilver
13-01-2010, 11:10 AM
I use the Nimrod PT500 (I've even melted glass with it so it definately gets hot enough!)
Here's a review
http://pmctips.blogspot.com/2009/06/...soldering.html

Nothing lasts forever, but it's lasted me 3 years of almost daily use and I've just bought my second
and added a PT200 to the cart on Georges suggestion too! :)

nic x

mizgeorge
13-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Nic, it's the T-75 I use and recommend to everyone for fine work. I don't know what the 200's like at all. They guys at Nimrod are lovely though.

I like the PT500, but my good old Lakeland professional cook's torch (which is a total bargain) is even better for melting and annealing.

MuranoSilver
13-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Lol I guess I'll soon find out what the 200's like then. #-o
nic xx

Unhindered
13-01-2010, 12:47 PM
thanks for your feedback guys, im looking at all the ones youve mentioned now, george do you know the name of your torch as there are a few that i have found

mizgeorge
13-01-2010, 01:33 PM
this one:

Welcome to Nimrod Europe Direct (http://www.nimrodeuropedirect.com/?opt=item&id=131)

lynnm
13-01-2010, 02:59 PM
I went out and bought myself a pressie today... a Sievert.... got it really cheap, about £95 which included the gas and bottle! Can't wait to use it either! :D

Unhindered
13-01-2010, 03:53 PM
sorry to be a pain george but i meant your lakeland one, just trying to look at all my options before i decide which one to go for!

Unhindered
13-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I went out and bought myself a pressie today... a Sievert.... got it really cheap, about £95 which included the gas and bottle! Can't wait to use it either! :D

thats a really good price! what made you chose that one over any others?

Di Sandland
13-01-2010, 04:07 PM
sorry to be a pain george but i meant your lakeland one, just trying to look at all my options before i decide which one to go for!

This (http://www.lakeland.co.uk/professional-blowtorch/F/keyword/blow+torch/product/1882) is George's torch - I can confirm it's fab ;)

Carl Martin
13-01-2010, 04:47 PM
I use one of these pretty much all of the time. It's an oxygen and propane mix smiths little torch. superb. Despite it's size will burn to 6300F and melt 1 1/2 ounces of silver without any hassle.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2ilikvt.jpg

Unhindered
13-01-2010, 05:31 PM
This (http://www.lakeland.co.uk/professional-blowtorch/F/keyword/blow+torch/product/1882) is George's torch - I can confirm it's fab ;)

Thank you it looks pretty impressive!

Unhindered
13-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Feeling a tad silly now as my boyfriend managed to make the torch work... But as I said I am looking into getting a more advanced torch also!

lynnm
14-01-2010, 01:41 AM
thats a really good price! what made you chose that one over any others?

I chose that because that's what I used in class, well that and my tutor recommended it. The price is good isn't it!

Carl Martin
14-01-2010, 10:05 AM
I've just been apponited as UK distributor for an established torch company anyone interested please see pm me or check on my website (will be there in a couple of hours).

Carl

emroyjewels
13-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Sorry to rake up this thread, but after reading through all the threads on torches, I'm a little confused and would love some advice!

I'm trying to solder a really simple bangle - rectangular wire 4mm x 1.3mm on a soldering block.

I know that my torch isn't getting hot enough having read through the posts. Its a little rubbish one, that only cost £5, and runs out of butane after about 6 minutes, so not long enough to heat up the whole bangle.

So now I'm trying to decide between the lakeland torch, and the Nimrod 500. I can see George has both, so am wondering if there is a reason why you would need both, or if one is better than the other? From what I can see, they both heat up to the same temperature, but does the Nimrod last longer and therefore make it easier to heat a larger object?

Any advice very welcome - I'm always buying the cheap thing and finding it doesn't work so have to upgrade so would like to make the right decision for once! :rofl:

mizgeorge
13-03-2010, 06:27 PM
I don't have both - I have the lakeland one (lovely and hot and quite a bushy flame) which is great for annealing and would certainly solder your bangle. I also have the Nimrod PT75, which is much finer flamed than the 500, and which I use for smaller scale jobs.

I also have my seivert - which I barely ever use now because I love the convenience of having no hose to tangle myself up in!

emroyjewels
13-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks George - my mistake (obviously read too many threads!) I thought about the Seivert, but the big gas can idea scares me a bit, and it seems easier to have a standalone unit.

How long would you say the Lakeland lasted before running out of gas? I guess I'm off to Lakeland tomorrow hehe!

mizgeorge
13-03-2010, 08:10 PM
I'd guess about 30 to 40 minutes before it needs a gas top up - it prefers to be full - the cannisters of gas are dirt cheap though (just bog standard lighter fuel from the market/pound shop/costo etc), and you'll get a fair number of fills from a single cannister. You know when the gas is getting low as you can just feel the flame dying on you. Used in short bursts, I'm sure it lasts a lot longer. It's the same torch that's sold by a lot of tool suppliers for over twice the price.

emroyjewels
20-03-2010, 06:10 PM
George- just wanted to say thankyou. I got my torch last week, and have been playing with it ever since. The possibilities are endless now I have access to real fire!!!:dance: