PDA

View Full Version : How do you make your (jewellery) party swing?

Solunar Silver Studio
27-07-2009, 07:15 AM
For those of you who sell your work through the home Jewellery Party route to some extent, what have you found helps your party really buzz?

I'm not a natural party person - (I've got a bit of a hermit mentality) - so I give everyone the opportunity to make their own (silver plated) dangly bead earrings - using 'kits' based on a 2" headpin and a selection of co ordinated beads that they can arrange however they like. This calms me down because it is something I know I can do!... I don't have to talk to people 'en masse' face to face...:eek: and it establishes me as 'the expert' in the room!!:cool: I have mini boards, pliers and cutters for everyone and do the bits that they can't! It does break the ice as everybody helps, admires and laughs at each other in equal measure!!:D On the other hand - I know some people prefer to keep their Jewellery Sale 'pure'...

What works for you?

Barbara

Di Sandland
27-07-2009, 10:02 AM
I've been contemplating the party selling route too but, like Barbara, I'm not a party type person.

My only reservation about your idea Barbara is that if people have made their own earrings they might be less inclined to purchase 'the real deal!'

Also - what about hostess gifts - what value etc etc

:help:
Di x

Solunar Silver Studio
27-07-2009, 10:20 AM
The earrings they make are only silver or gold plated with plastic beads!...and they tend to make a mess of it too, which all adds to the hilarity. They only get the chance to make one pair too. And they seem to realise afterwards that it is quite hard to make jewellery!! I'll post a link in a bit for a website that has a lot of advise for parties but my new bit of enameling is calling from my crock pot and wants to be admired!!....;)...I can't keep up with all these new smilies now!!!
Barbara

Solunar Silver Studio
27-07-2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.home-jewelry-business-success-tips.com/

Loads and loads of ideas on this site ...it's very American though!...you'll be reading forever!!:-D She does do a newsletter too...which is a bit of a mixed bag but worth geting in my view...:)
Barbara

MuranoSilver
27-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Great idea to break the ice - I did a WI talk on jewellery making once and
also took loads of beads & pliers to make earrings.
You should've seen them all, tongues out, intense concentration showing
:D
Nic x

The Bijou Dragon
27-07-2009, 01:33 PM
I looked at parties in great detail at one point but then decided carting jewellery all around London was far too risky security wise!

However, a tip I got from a party person (not jewellery but candles and Anne Summers) was wine... encourage them to bring *lots* of wine as it removes inhibitions and the padlocks from purses lol

Also don't forget to make sure your car is correctly insured, if you have an accident and you aren't insured for business use your insurance is void and they will not pay out. It only takes some jerk to run into the back of your car and insurance companies are always on the lookout for a reason not to pay so better safe than sorry :)

Di Sandland
27-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks Guys

I don't really fancy the party route but given the known limitations of websites and craft fairs it seems the only route to making a little bit of money to plough back into the obsession...

Ominicci
28-07-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm definitely going down the jewellery party line, but wasn't going to do the making bit. I have a couple of friends who have said they will have parties for me nearer Christmas.

Thanks for the link Barbara I will look at it later if it is that long!!

Solunar Silver Studio
28-07-2009, 01:24 PM
It's one of those sites where there are links within links and before you know it you are somewhere else on the site and the thing you first wanted to know about is a distant memory!!! HA HA HA!!:-D There are a lot of little gems you can pick up on the way...especialy if you are new to it all! So I have found it very useful - and as I said earlier you can sign up to a newsletter - which I think pops into the email 'in tray' every month. You will definitely need a cuppa and a good pile of biccies before you start!!:D
Barbara

Lindyloo
29-07-2009, 10:15 PM
WOOOAH! I've just spent two hours on that site and not even scratched the surface of what I could read. I'm now exhausted and need to go to bed.I-) But it contains lots of good advice - I loved the page about how to avoid those friends and family who ask for free jewellery!>:)

Solunar Silver Studio
30-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Did you sign up for the newsletter? Then you will be force fed with info once a month too!!
Barbara

Di Sandland
30-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Did you sign up for the newsletter? Then you will be force fed with info once a month too!!
Barbara

#-o - discovered I'd been getting it for nearly a year. I set up a rule so that it went into its own little folder. Then I promptly forgot about it...

roxiejewelry
02-08-2009, 03:51 AM
I personally keep my jewelry parties separate. I do trunk shows where I bring completed pieces to someone's home and I do jewelry making parties where folks can make their own jewelry pieces.

When I schedule a trunk show wine, food and friends are always a part of the equation. This takes the responsibility off of me to be the hostess with the mostest! I'm the jewelry lady and the host gets everyone to mingle and shop.

When I hold jewelry making parties, the same equation above is employed except beads and tools are introduced. When you present women with sparkly beads, they get excited about making jewelry and start chatting with one another and you're there serving as the jewelry making expert.
Best of luck!

Lindyloo
02-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I have a question about parties. How much stock do you usually have to take? And do you make duplicates which you can produce onto the table if one gets sold, or does that detract from the hand-made one-off feel of the jewellery?:confused:

Ominicci
03-08-2009, 09:09 AM
That's a really good question Lindy!! Having thought about it I would do both I think - have one range that are your 'stock' items and are easily reproduced so you can make more of them (I have a few bracelets like that) and you can have two or three out on the table at the same time. And then the One Of A Kind (OOAK the Americans call it) range that can be more expensive and unique.

What do others think?