PDA

View Full Version : Fold Forming

Lindyloo
26-07-2009, 08:14 PM
I have recently read about the art of fold forming with metal. I am keen to give it a go. Has anyone tried it? Any tips or references? I haven't invested in a rolling mill yet, and with a tight budget, am interested in the new inexpensive one at CG. My question is, do I need to consider a particular depth of metal that a mill can take?

Ominicci
28-07-2009, 12:41 PM
You don't need a rolling mill for foldforming necessarily, but I think it would be better to practice with copper first. Have a look here (I do often as I haven't the courage to try it yet!) FoldForming (http://www.brainpress.com/Foldforming.html)

EmmaRose
28-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Charles Lewton-Brain is the foremost authority on fold forming indeed!
E

Lindyloo
28-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the references. Good advice to start with copper. Let me know if you get enough courage to have a go. Would love to see the results.:rolleyes:

Solunar Silver Studio
29-07-2009, 07:02 AM
I've ignored this thread for days because I have no idea what fold forming is...
But I've just looked at your link Ominicci...MY GOD!...that is fantastic...How on earth do they do that??????!!!! :-O :confused:
Barbara

AlexandraBuckle
29-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Wow! What Barbara said! Pretty cool stuff on that link. :cool:

lorraineflee
29-07-2009, 10:06 AM
There was a course scheduled at Birmingham with Cynthia Eid on this but it was cancelled due to lack of interest. She reckons it may run next year though - I fancy it.

Ominicci
29-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Barbara - the links near the bottom of that page under 'Making Fold Forms' have some step by step instructions - and it LOOKS so easy, but it can't be!!

julie
29-07-2009, 10:16 AM
WOW thats great , wonder how hard it is ???

Lindyloo
29-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Is is just me, or could Charles Lewton-Brain have been a gynaecologist in a former life?:-"

caroleallen
29-07-2009, 10:35 PM
A lot of those pieces are made with the Bonny Doon and I'm going on a course next week with Cynthia Eid to learn how to do it. Can't wait!

Lindyloo
29-07-2009, 10:40 PM
I could possibly be thick, but what the heck is the Bonny Doon?:confused:

caroleallen
29-07-2009, 10:53 PM
It's a hydraulic press lol

Lindyloo
29-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Oh, is that one of those industrial hammer type thingies? There's a good video on U-Tube of a guy doing fold forming with a huge industrial hammer thingy and a huge rolling mill - and the results are amazing. He does huge pieces in some sort of base metal.

Please, please post your pictures when you've finished the course, and let us know all about it. Doesn't matter if they are failures - not that I'm implying that you could do anything bad. But you know, we all do some rubbish when we try a new technique. Well I do anyway.#-o