PDA

View Full Version : Attaching end caps on memory wire with Beadfix

Helenka
08-01-2010, 01:12 PM
I am trying to attach end caps onto memory wire using Beadfix as it was recommended. I tried Hypo cement before and am not keen on the glue made out of two components (can't remember name). Using glue is always a bit of a messy affair and after reading the safety hints on the package I was already worried how to use the glue - so I used latex gloves to protect my skin and toothpicks for application (the applicator is not very useful I find). I found that it is almost impossible to handle such a small item as an end cap when wearing the gloves and it was very fiddly - essentially a job for 2 pairs of hands! I left the items to dry for two days and 3 didn't really glue onto the wire. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a safe but easier way of attaching end caps without getting totally frustrated.:help:

Petal
08-01-2010, 04:22 PM
I am trying to attach end caps onto memory wire using Beadfix as it was recommended. I tried Hypo cement before and am not keen on the glue made out of two components (can't remember name). Using glue is always a bit of a messy affair and after reading the safety hints on the package I was already worried how to use the glue - so I used latex gloves to protect my skin and toothpicks for application (the applicator is not very useful I find). I found that it is almost impossible to handle such a small item as an end cap when wearing the gloves and it was very fiddly - essentially a job for 2 pairs of hands! I left the items to dry for two days and 3 didn't really glue onto the wire. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a safe but easier way of attaching end caps without getting totally frustrated.:help:

Hi Helenka, :~:

I've got memory wire and don't bother with end caps, just fold the end round my round nose pliers and put a nice bead on the end, so that is a feature. The reason I haven;'t bothered with beadcaps, is that I have heard elsewhere that they don't really work! Your glue won't be wasted, as you could use it for all sorts of other things jewellery related.

I hope that's useful for you.

Helenka
08-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks for that. Looks like I wasted a bit of money on end caps though. I think one problem is that the holes in those end caps are a tad bigger than the memory wire diameter. Any idea what else I could use them for?