PDA

View Full Version : Next question, cutting a chain

bustagasket
26-07-2009, 12:46 PM
I have some onyx beads left over from a necklace set i have just made, and wanted to team them up with some silver balls i have, but inbetween each group i want to use some lovely belcher chain that i have.

I bought it from Cooksons as loose chain so that i can cut it to size, but therein lies my dilemma.
I know that i want each length to be 9 links long. But do i cut the tenth link to release the nine and then put the cut link into the scrap bag, or do i cut the ninth and hope i can resolder it nicely or what? I need to put a split link on each end to join onto my beads, and i have made them ready to put on and solder closed, but i guess i am scared of ruining the lovely chain without checking with "people who know how" first.

I am desperate to be a success with my jewellery, and want to combine beading and silver work, so please help meeeee

The Bijou Dragon
26-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Yep sadly you do get link wastage with chain cutting, just cut the tenth link and put it in a scrap bag.

You can also (as I presume it's silver and not plated) ball the cut / scrap links up using a torch and use it in another project... or something :)

bustagasket
26-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I had a feeling it would be wastage but i wanted to check, thank you so much again :)