PDA

View Full Version : Books

Kermit
07-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Hi All

I'm looking for a book which will show me the basics and more for wirework. (Not the knitted / crochet type)

I am wanting to experiment more with wire and the possibilities that it can give but I find buying books a nightmare. I often end up disappointed, so I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction.

So.... what I want to make.... earrings (ie handmade earwires as well as handmade headpins etc.

I have got 'The complete Guide to Wire & Beaded Jewellery' by Linda Jones some of which I like, but am still left wanting more. Maybe need to learn how to solder too....

So much that I want to learn!!!

Hope someone can help.

Jane x

Fi Wilson
07-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi Jane,

I've got the following books on wire work that may be of use.

Bead & Wire Art Jewellery by J Marsha Michler
Making Wire Jewelry by Helen Clegg & Mary Larom
Boutique Bead & Wire Jewelry by Meloday MacDuffee
Silver Wire Jewelry by Irene From Petersen
Silver Threads by Jeanne Rhodes-Moen

The last two are my favourites. Silver Wire Jewelry has some really good projects and Silver Threads goes into detail about filigree which is my thing at the mo. Books on wire work tend to be either chunky stuff that can look a little basic or twisted work which never fails to include at least one bizarre design!!

Also take a look at JewelryLessons.com (http://www.jewelrylessons.com/) which is run by Eni Oken who is a great wire worker. There are also some fab projects to download ranging in price from free up to around $10. There are quite a few basics on things such as making head pins and earring wires.

Fi

Petal
07-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Hiya Kermit,
I've got Bead on a Wire by Sharilyn Miller - which is excellent and well worth buying. I've used Bead and Wire Jewellery for Special Occasions by Linda Jones, now and again. By far the best is the Sharilyn Miller. Ive also looked at Eni Oken and their website is excellent!

Ominicci
08-01-2010, 02:29 PM
You could also subscribe to Step-by-Step Wire Magazine (http://www.stepbystepwire.com/wire/) from the USA, around £22 for a year/6 issues. The web site is OK too there are some free projects.