PDA

View Full Version : Help: "dome-shaped glassy thing"?

mochiandmocha
07-01-2010, 08:57 AM
We almost have a couple of orders for rings made from the Reborn! manga, but there is one detail that the customer really wants and we have no idea how to do it!

http://mob5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/kirimi/reborn/rings_sky.jpg?t=1254870892

The ring itself should be OK, but he insists on having that "dome-shaped glassy" cover that magnifies the design inside.

We'll make the ring in PMC and the design with the shell will be embossed. But how do we cover that with a dome??? He's had plastic domes before on previous rings. How about a stone/cabochon or something? How do you use a stone with PMC (we've never used stones at all)??? Is it possible to fire PMC with a stone on it?
Can you make something in PMC in two stages: firing one part, then adding "fresh" clay and fire them together? Would the PMC bind on the silver?

What would you recommend? In a pinch plastic would do since it's what he's used to, but it would be a shame wouldn't it?

Thanks for your help!

Emerald
07-01-2010, 11:37 AM
i used to put clear Chrystal over designs i had put in the bottom of rings and this magnified it slightly

MuranoSilver
07-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Personally if he insists on plastic I'd turn down the work..it will scratch and then you're making yourself future nightmares :(
If you can find a clear glass dome, then you could fire in some fine silver bezel strip (with the ring) and set the stone after. That lets you fire at 900 degrees C for maximum ring strength.
Nic x

abyjem
07-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Maybe someone who does lampwork could make some sort of transparent semi-hollow cabochon type thingy??

mochiandmocha
08-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Thank you so much for your help everyone, although some of the term you used are a bit too advanced or uknown to us....

Anyway, when we told the guy that we'd do some more research and ask "experts" on jewellery forums to make it just right and hopefully use a stone for high quality, he said that's "what he wanted to happen".

So thank you, all experts out there ^_^!

PS: Now for the homework, i'll go look up those fancy words..:confused:

mochiandmocha
08-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Ok, so I think we'll follow your advice, Nic.
So from what you're saying, it should be possible to fire the PMC ring with the bezel strip (meaning firing silver to clay), and then set the stone....?
I know I'm just repeating what you said but am I right?
In any case we'll have to practice first! ^_^

Again thank you thank you thank you, I'm gonna tell the Philippines guy the good news!

Emerald
08-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Ok, so I think we'll follow your advice, Nic.
So from what you're saying, it should be possible to fire the PMC ring with the bezel strip (meaning firing silver to clay), and then set the stone....?
I know I'm just repeating what you said but am I right?
In any case we'll have to practice first! ^_^

Again thank you thank you thank you, I'm gonna tell the Philippines guy the good news!

yes but what are you going to use as the dome ??

mochiandmocha
09-01-2010, 10:20 AM
clear moonstone cabochon? Maybe we'll experiment with that...

MuranoSilver
09-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Yes that'swhat you can do :)

mizgeorge
09-01-2010, 01:48 PM
These might be better than moonstone (and certainly clearer)

Gemstone Cabochons - Clear Quartz (http://www.marquisejewels.co.uk/Gemstone-Cabochons/Clear%20Quartz/C19-125-1-0.htm)

Or look for a buff top glass cab - these often look like they have a frosted backing, but once the epoxy is in place they go completely clear. They're designed to magnify. Manchester minerals used to have them, but I'm not sure if they only have oval now.

Emerald
09-01-2010, 02:13 PM
These might be better than moonstone (and certainly clearer)

Gemstone Cabochons - Clear Quartz (http://www.marquisejewels.co.uk/Gemstone-Cabochons/Clear%20Quartz/C19-125-1-0.htm)

Or look for a buff top glass cab - these often look like they have a frosted backing, but once the epoxy is in place they go completely clear. They're designed to magnify. Manchester minerals used to have them, but I'm not sure if they only have oval now.

thats what i would use and have.

mochiandmocha
10-01-2010, 10:57 AM
great, and the customer seems pleased. He asking about waterproofness though... Would bezel+stone be enough to stop water from sipping under the stone (there will be a little hollow cavity with the embossed design), or what else could we use? Clear bead glue?

MuranoSilver
10-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Turn it back to him.
No a gemstone on the top would not stop water ingress (he'd have to be careful) so he can either have.
1) A resin dome - chemically sensitive (no jewellery dip) and will scratch ~ but water resistant.
2) A gemstone dome, more scratch resistant but water can get in.
3) A gemstone dome with glue or resin between + bezel set
the benefits are it's water resistant AND easier to set,
the disadvantage is it could discolour longer term.
Option 3 should also cost more, let him decide then there's less comeback for you because you've told him the pros & cons up front :)
Nic x

mochiandmocha
10-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Great!

Little note on your post, though
"he can" NOT "have" the first 2 options as I have no idea how to do that ahah! So it'll be the third, which I thought would be best when I pictured myself making that ring! ^_^
Just out of curiosity and for self development (^_^), do you nedd special equipment to make a resin dome? HOw the heck is it done....?

Thank you so much anyway for all the help!!!

MuranoSilver
10-01-2010, 08:05 PM
You just by doming resin - mix the two resins and pour it in,
right to the top. Let it dry about 24 hours & add a bit more.
It natually forms a low dome :)
Nicx x

Carl Martin
10-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Be nice to see the finished piece. :)

mochiandmocha
11-01-2010, 08:51 AM
So what do you recomment for the stone? I've looked at moonstones but are they transparent enough? Has anyone used a transparent, glass-like stone?

Emerald
11-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Mochi and Mocha both George and I have mentioned suitable stones above??

mochiandmocha
11-01-2010, 10:00 AM
oopsie so sorry about that, thanks #-o

edit: I just realised I actually have been on these sites this morning... Monday morning is taking its toll...

I'm afraid the quartz doesn't look completely transparent on their pic, so Idon't know.
As for glass I've found countless clear glass cabochons on ebay, but they all had "gold foil back." George says that it disappears once the epoxy sets. Does that mean we have to fill cavity under the cab with epoxy, is the epoxy crystal clear as well?

other edit:

just bought those on ebay:
http://i.ebayimg.com/10/!BhQS2,!Bmk~$(KGrHqIH-EIEsK7W1tc+BLITrKk8Sw~~_35.JPG

Got a syringe of epoxy glue in my cookson basket.

Maybe I've actually moved forward this morning after all !!

So now what I'm thinking is make the ring in PMC, put a bezel strip around where the cab will be so that shrinkage of the PMC still leaves exact room for the cabochon, then fill with epoxy glue, put the cab and finish with the bezel for extra strength. That way he'll have waterproof + strength! Now all that's left is... to make it...
We'll definitely show you pics when we move forward!