PDA

View Full Version : Jewellery Parties

angel85
06-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Hi, I want to pick your brains please. How much stock would you usually prep/make for parties? Do you take your things along so you can adjust things for buyers?

Thanks in advance :dance:

Helenka
16-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Can't help you but hope others will post. I would like to throw a jewellery party and my friend knows a few interested customers, but don't know where to start, apart from setting a date, creating more stock and send out invites and just see what happens. I think I would figure out first how many people would come and how much they are likely to be able to spend and customize quantities and pieces accordingly.

Helenka
16-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Maybe just take a set of pliers and if people need more adjustments you can arrange it and send it to them? You might not have the time and space to do adjustments there and then.

Ominicci
16-01-2010, 05:10 PM
I know this was discussed before - try searching 'jewellery parties' in the search facility. There is also some good advice from an American lady on this site www.home-jewelry-business-success-tips.com/ (http://www.home-jewelry-business-success-tips.com/)

CrystalBee
28-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Take various designs, slightly different colour ranges,
Some customers like to have something slightly different if handmade.

Pendant designs too - less chains than pendants - you can swap them around if you do not wish to purchase too many chains to start with.
Enough to give a choice, but not to confuse.

Easier to sell jewellery as is - as one can end up hunting for lots of different bits and pieces after the party.
Take commissions too, though for me, the commissions come later.

Maybe take a mini kit with you, Cookson do a nice small tool kit useful for the purpose. Add to this a few earring findings to change drop items items into studs if reqd. Also a larger clasp and perhaps a magnetic one. Extra small jump rings, is also a good idea.

Hope these thoughts help you, and good luck.

lynnm
28-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Well... I spent a lot of years in party plan. Eventually rising to dizzy heights of Regional Manager of the South West and am told I am really good at partyplan so if you need any advice please feel free to email me... will say I go into 'super mode' when training though!

vannetta
28-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Hi There,

I would recommend that you take a set of pliers, crimping pliers and some spare crimps in case any pieces breaks.

Vannetta
Vannetta Seecharran School of Jewellery (http://www.vannettaseecharran.com)

Maddie106
02-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi, I want to pick your brains please. How much stock would you usually prep/make for parties? Do you take your things along so you can adjust things for buyers?

Thanks in advance :dance:

Hi Angel,

I used to love doing jewellery parties and just took my stock that was usual for craft fairs. IE Only ONE of anything!

I did take orders for stuff that I knew I could repeat, but as I was essentially selling hand-made one-off designs, it was mostly selling what I had there and then.

I did take pliers and fittings to turn fish-hook fittings into studs and dangleies into ear clips....plus a few chains (mainly to go from my standard 18inch to 16 inch)

I've not done a party for a bit now, mainly due to being a bit lazy!!
What I really enjoyed was talks to WI etc ( probably cos I used to be a teacher and can tell an interesting tale!)

Has anybody got any hints about how to get party/talk bookins please??

agent_44
03-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi There,

I would recommend that you take a set of pliers, crimping pliers and some spare crimps in case any pieces breaks.

Vannetta
Vannetta Seecharran School of Jewellery (http://www.vannettaseecharran.com)

Er, surely if your work is such that you expect it might break, you shouldn't be trying to sell it!

Emerald
03-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Er, surely if your work is such that you expect it might break, you shouldn't be trying to sell it!

lol my thoughts exactly maybe take them for adjusting instead :)

MuranoSilver
03-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Looking at Vanettas work I doubt she'd make anything that broke (her work is superb and very detailed) but
following Murphys Law "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong".
It doesn't hurt to be prepared ;)
Nic xx

agent_44
03-02-2010, 01:02 PM
I wasn't disputing that Nic :) just that if it was an expectation of anyone's I would consider that an issue!

MuranoSilver
03-02-2010, 01:05 PM
I'd hope that it wouldn't be anyones "expectation" either but (as the Boy Scouts say) it doesn't hurt to be prepared :-D
Having said that I did once have a piece break at a show...
the lady in question was trying to force it on over her head rather than undo the clasp. #-o
nic x

Emerald
03-02-2010, 05:11 PM
well i have to say if anything broke in front of a buying public it would be hidden away pretty sharpish i certainly wouldent sit there and try and repair it :)

MuranoSilver
03-02-2010, 06:50 PM
lol very good point! :Y: