PDA

View Full Version : What thickness is 10 gauge silver wire?

bob flemming
05-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Hello,

I have John Cogswell's Creative Stonesetting book and it's great, but I'm confused about what thickness of wire is "10 gauge". According to the conversion guide in the back of his book, 10 gauge (B&S) = 2.59 millimetres, but according to Madeline Cole's book, B&S 10 = 3.45mm! There's obviously a big difference in the sizes of wire there.

Can anyone shed some light for me please?

Yours confusedly,

Bob

mizgeorge
05-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Bob, if it's any help, I've always considered an AWG 10 to be 2.59mm, and happily use 2.5mm.

If it's for the square prong mount, 2.5mm worked fine ;)

ps_bond
05-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi Bob -

All the tables I've checked online & off go for 2.588 or thereabouts for 10 gauge wire, either B&S or AWG. Closest I can find for an alternative is the sheet metal gauges, which are in the order of 3.5mm for 10 gauge (depending on material).

In this case I'd go with whatever Cogswell believes to be 10 gauge.

Metric's much easier.

bob flemming
05-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Ah great, thanks to both of you for clearing that up. The measurement in Coles' book must be for sheet metal then.

George, it is indeed for the square prong setting :) Did you do one and how did it look? I'm not sure how deep to make the cuts for the prongs.

Lisa Quinn
05-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Hi Bob -

Metric's much easier.

I sooo agree with that comment, I am currently trying to place an order from the States and it is proving to be a rather tedious task having to translate all the different weights and measurements.

mizgeorge
05-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Ah great, thanks to both of you for clearing that up. The measurement in Coles' book must be for sheet metal then.

George, it is indeed for the square prong setting :) Did you do one and how did it look? I'm not sure how deep to make the cuts for the prongs.

I did a couple - the first one was a mess because I made the cuts way too deep and there was no strength to it. I ended up having to add an outer band, which actually looked quite nice, but rather defeated the object!

The next one was much better, I think I cut about 5mm at the centre, so slightly deeper at the sides and then adjusted a little once I'd flared. I'll take a picture once I get round to putting it onto something!

And another vote for metric for this stuff from me too!

bob flemming
06-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Thanks for that George. Yeah, I'm sort of wondering what I will do with it once it's done as well!