PDA

View Full Version : Hello from me

SuseA
04-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Hey all,

Happy New Year to you all.

I joined the forum just after Christmas, having happened across the forum whilst looking for new 'toys' on Cookson's.

I started an evening class in Jewellery & Silversmithing in 2008, just one evening a week and loved it from the very first class. I still have an awful lot to learn and am very slowly building up a collection of tools and equipment. I am hoping my dear OH will convert a little space in our garage, when the weather improves, so I can set a little workshop space up and then can start to 'play' in earnest. A small kitchen table, with 6 very curious cats makes it almost impossible to do much in the house.

I've spent the last few days trawling through the various subject headers and threads posted on here (and still only half way through). But already I can see there is a wealth of information available and you guys have provided lots of tips for which I am very grateful.

I am and will probably always be little more than a hobbyist - though I wish it were different. Since starting, my desire for this type of work increases as each day passes. However, it is not to be (although I know you can never say never), so I shall satisfy myself with improving little by little and enjoy each step along the way.

I doubt I'll ever be the one posting with any advice, so to speak, but I do like a chat so shall endeavour to join in with the banter and look forward to chatting and learning.

Petal
04-01-2010, 01:29 PM
:xmaswelcome: to the forum SuseA. You'll learn lots and there are so many friendly people on here, that time will fly. Beware, its very addictive! Looking forward to seeing some of your work..

:~:

Di Sandland
04-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi Suse and welcome - all of us started exactly where you are now so all I can say is - beware this is addictive.

Oh, and happy new year too.

Emerald
04-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi Suea :welcome: to the forum

Rustic Charm
04-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Hello and welcome, where abouts are you from ???? i'm nosey and like to know these things! well i think we all do really!! lol xx

MuranoSilver
04-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the forum
I'm sure you'll enjoy the banter and don'tbe afraid to pos pictures of your creations-we all started somewhere and it's fun to look back and compare your journey
nicx x

lorraineflee
04-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Hi Susea, welcome from me too.
The others are right - it is addictive (but it isn't fattening so it can't be all bad!!!).
Whereabouts are you located?

Lorraine

bustagasket
04-01-2010, 06:37 PM
welcome to the forums from me too :):~:

SuseA
04-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Hello again - thanks for the welcome messages :~:

I live in Norfolk, well at least I have for the last 18yrs - but am a London girl at heart.

I will post up some pics of my work once I have the right permissions (I think I have to have a number of posts to my name first).

I did a 30 week NCFE (or something like that) course, but only managed to complete a few things. I'm impatient you see and I wanted to set myself a challenge, so I made a 3 stone gem cuff bracelet, which took absolutely ages and I wasn't that happy with the final result - but I did learn a lot, so it was worth the experience.

My first effort was a simple pendant, then the bracelet and I had a go at a ring, with a bezel set stone which I gave to my daughter for her graduation. All of which have room for improvement - but hey, it's a start.

After the first course our LA changed the curriculum to City & Guilds, which is one day a week and seeing as I work full-time and can't do it, I've now swopped to a short 10wk evening class.

I've also ordered some books (having read the "whats on your bookshelf" thread) - Jinks McGrath and Tim McCriety (again not sure of the spelling) - am waiting for them to arrive from Amazon.

So, I am thrilled to have 'found' this forum and join the gang.

Jayne
04-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Hiya Susea & welcome from me too :~:
J x

Rustic Charm
04-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Great Suse where abouts in norfolk?? i'm norfolk too, in north walsham near norwich.
xx

Lisa Quinn
04-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Hello Suse,

Welcome to the forum:~:

Rustic Charm
04-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Hey Suse, did you do your course at wensum lodge with Darren????? i think i remember a suse with a 3 stone set cuff, were we on same course maybe????????????

Carl Martin
04-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Hello and welcome.

Sunnybank
04-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi Suse, ditto for addictive

snow_imp
05-01-2010, 06:36 AM
Hi Sue and welcome

AlexandraBuckle
05-01-2010, 09:27 AM
welcome to the forum :~:

elliboo
05-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Hello and welcome

Ominicci
05-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Hello and Welcome from me too :~:

SuseA
05-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Great Suse where abouts in norfolk?? i'm norfolk too, in north walsham near norwich.
xx

I live just outside Norwich, in Bowthorpe.

Hey Suse, did you do your course at wensum lodge with Darren????? i think i remember a suse with a 3 stone set cuff, were we on same course maybe????????????

No, not Wensum Lodge - I went/go to CNS School in Norwich and Val is my tutor. Some folks from Wensum do attend CNS (and visa versa) if anyone needs more time on something, esp towards the end of a course, but I've not been to Wensum.

BTW I call my self Suse on here (I like it), but most peeps know me as Susan.

Thanks again to all the extra welcomes - most kind.

Mila Jewellery
05-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Hello & welcome :) I'm in Norfolk too, well just about, I'm just on the Norfolk/Suffolk border x

Gemma
10-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Hello and :welcome: from me too