PDA

View Full Version : Pickling Question. Student seeks advice!

Hayles
30-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Hello!

Basically I am in my last year of studying Materials Practice at Brighton University and am slowly but surely setting up my own work space at home (in the garage!).

I was wondering whetheranyone has tips for pickling at a home workshop. I have looked at pickling baths & they are rather expensive. I have also come across people with 'home made' ideas and am looking for any advice basically asap! And cheaply too!

Any advice appreciated, Thank you

Hayley

Di Sandland
30-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Hi Hayley and welcome.

We've discussed pickling many times: this (http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/got-jewellery-question/800-pickling.html) thread should give you some ideas and answers.

Hope that helps

minnie
30-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Hello

If you make a pickling solution in a pyrex casserole with lid on it can be warmed by tea lights on food warmer ( like for warming food on table)or on low hob heat. Will work in about 30 minutes.

Best wishes

Christine

Emerald
30-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi Hayley the cheapest slow cooker i found was in Argos 9.99 and the perfect size for a home studio/garage:)

Carl Martin
31-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Depends on how big a piece you want to pickle, I have two methods I use, slow cooker (ASDA less than £8.00) baby bottle warmer (less than a fiver ).
I used the pyrex dish and tea lights for years works very well indeed.