PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I'm having problems soldering a bangle

clwheat
24-12-2009, 07:46 AM
I am tearing my hair out trying to solder a few STS pegs onto a STS bangle/cuff (which beads are going to be glued on).

I am quite new to soldering but thought I had it sussed. I have been using solder paste, I can see it try to flow, but then it just seems to dry out and do nothing else.

I have tested solding anther piece..fine.
I have melted solder on the pegs...fine.
I am sure that the bangle is clean and the holes the pegs go in.

What's going on???????

bustagasket
24-12-2009, 07:49 AM
welcome to the forums clw, unfortunately i am not experienced enough to offer any golden advice to you but there will be plenty of people to do so later i should think, unless they have all gone away for xmas :-s

clwheat
24-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Hi Su',
Thank you for the welcome!
Just been having a look through the forum...Fab!!!:
Don't know why I didn't join before now.#-o
:merryxmas:

mizgeorge
24-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi clwheat, and welcome!

I wonder if you're getting the bangle itself hot enough? It's the heat from the metal, not the torch, that will make the solder flow, and a bangle can be quite a heavy piece to get really hot. Keep heating the main body of the bangle, and only bring the heat over to the peg right at the end. If the solder itself gets too hot too early it will be spent before it gets a chance to do its job.

lorraineflee
24-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Hi clwheat, and welcome from me too. Listen to George 'cos her advice is always ace!!
Lorraine
:xmaswelcome:

clwheat
24-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi
You know I kept saying to my hubby that it seems like the bangle isn't getting hot enough...but how long does it take to get hot? I heated the area about 8mins the other day. The bangle is 3.5cm wide and 1.2cm thick.

Off now for attept number 3647........Fingers, toes and legs crossed!

clwheat
24-12-2009, 11:07 AM
I am returning unsucessful!

I am definatly with you George on the bangle not getting hot enough. Can't get the bagle to glow any.

How do I appy more heat?

Is my hand held butane torch not enough?

caroleallen
24-12-2009, 11:29 AM
George is right. You need to heat the whole of the bangle before focusing the heat on he place you want to solder. Use lots of flux and keep re-fluxing. Maybe your torch isn't man enough for the job. What sort are you using?

Rustic Charm
24-12-2009, 11:30 AM
hello and welcome x x

caroleallen
24-12-2009, 12:06 PM
I forgot to say hello. Hello. :welcome:

I'd also add that those beads may be a bit vulnerable if they're glued onto a bangle as they'll get a lot of wear and tear.

MuranoSilver
24-12-2009, 01:50 PM
:welcome: to the forum. :)
The little butane torches are unlikely to heat up a really solid bangle..
You could try putting it on a charcoal block so the will focus back onto the metal.
If you're going to be doing bigger jobs then I'd recommend a Nimrod PT500 torch (which is easily man enough for the job)
Nic xx

Polly
24-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi!

This sounds so familiar! The last thing I made was a fairly thick bangle and I had the same problem. I just couldn't heat the bangle enough with my small cooksons torch for the solder to run effectively, so in the end I upgraded to a builders merchant type blow torch and it worked like a dream. Welcome to the forum and have a great Christmas!:xmaswelcome:

ben b
27-12-2009, 06:43 PM
For large, solid silver items, you need a propane torch similar to this

Sievert Torch Kit - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Sievert-Torch-Kit-prcode-999-AKZ1)

and you will need to adjust your technique in that you are heating the 'base' item, and this heat will transfer to a ready placed, soldered, silver wire...because if you heat the joint area, which in this case is a thin peg of silver wire, you'll just melt it with one of these torches.

Emerald
27-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Hi clwheat, and welcome!

I wonder if you're getting the bangle itself hot enough? It's the heat from the metal, not the torch, that will make the solder flow, and a bangle can be quite a heavy piece to get really hot. Keep heating the main body of the bangle, and only bring the heat over to the peg right at the end. If the solder itself gets too hot too early it will be spent before it gets a chance to do its job.

deffinatley what i would do and if you dont have a larger torch which can be expensive one of the blow torches from the diy places are perfect for larger items of jewellery x

Sunnybank
28-12-2009, 03:34 PM
:If you're going to be doing bigger jobs then I'd recommend a Nimrod PT500 torch (which is easily man enough for the job)
Nic xx

Hi Nic,

Does the PT500 run on normal lighter fuel?

Di Sandland
28-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes, Jane, it does. Here (http://www.nimrodeuropedirect.com/?opt=item&id=132) it is. I have seen the next model up in the range the T75 (http://www.nimrodeuropedirect.com/?opt=item&id=131) at George's and I think that is the one I would go for (in fact it's next on my shopping list) mainly because it weighs less and you get a lot more time for the same amount of gas. It is around 50 degrees lower in temp tho.

I'd be interested to see what the others think

Sunnybank
28-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Looks nice, thanks Di :snow:

Dennis
31-12-2009, 09:06 PM
You torch may not be hot enough.The cylinder should say propane/butane mix or propane. Failing that use Easy solder with Easy Flux.Dennis.