PDA

View Full Version : Jump rings - help

vsilvered
21-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi,

I'd made a bracelet with S links and hand-made jump rings at my first silversmithing course, and for some mad reason decided that I'd make a present of same to my 3 nieces for Xmas. So I made my coil out of 1.0mm wire..... all good.... but then I had some kind of mind-melt and started sawing with the blade parallel to the coil instead of perpendicular..stupid, stupid, stupid.....

Anyway, I managed to get off a few rings that have flush edges, but they also have scratch marks and divots on the top of the ring, where the saw blade slipped. I wanted to ask if:

1) It's possible to salvage some of them, by filing off the scratches/divots before soldering them.

2) Solder them anyway and let the tumbler take care of the scratches and divots.

I'm off to Cooksons in a couple of hours to pick up some ready-made ones, for the bracelets I'm making.

If anything, I could always use my ones for soldering practice :)

Many thanks,

Vi

agent_44
21-12-2009, 11:01 AM
The only way to find out if you can clean them up is to give it a go! Though it would be fiddly and I wouldn't bother tbh, unless the scratches are very light :)

snow_imp
21-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I'd just use them for soldering practice. Or use them in something I'm making for me to wear - then the scratches don't matter quite so much. :)

vsilvered
21-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I think I'll use my jump rings for soldering practice ;-)

Vi

Suec
09-02-2010, 10:50 AM
and you could always fire the leftovers into beautiful silver nugget earrings..such fun (and so simple)to do. Learnt the art at my evening course courtesy of Daisychain.

vsilvered
09-02-2010, 11:52 PM
and you could always fire the leftovers into beautiful silver nugget earrings..such fun (and so simple)to do. Learnt the art at my evening course courtesy of Daisychain.

That sounds really cool!

Regards,

Vi