PDA

View Full Version : Commissions

Polly
18-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi

Just wondered what folk do when they are commissioned to produce a piece of jewellery (silver and gold)? Do you produce a contract to specify what the expectations are (for both parties)? If so, is there a template that I could refer to that covers everything that I need to consider, cheers!:Y:

Any views (or copies even) would be most appreciated:xmas;_):

Emerald
18-12-2009, 10:04 PM
once you have agreed a design it is always advisable to get a deposit at least to cover your material expenses

Carl Martin
18-12-2009, 11:33 PM
50% of total quote value up front before I even start something. On commissions all quotes are binding in the original agreement with total cost including delivery if required clearly outlined.

Polly
19-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks! I never really know what's the best approach and this really helps, cheers!:merryxmas:

Hart-Star
20-12-2009, 10:26 AM
If you ever need to draw up a contract, there are three main bits - "an invitation to treat" (= an offer from you to do something) - an "acceptance" ( = they agree to your offer) and a "consideration".(= payment)

The actual words get more complicated than this, because you have to think about - who owns the design that you make , what happens if things go wrong: time passes; people change their mind; they don't like the finished piece; it doesn't work; stones crack in their settings; you have to buy in lots of expensive findings; they want their money back etc. etc.

The more complicated and lengthy the job, then potentially the more complicated the contract.

This said, in my experience the only time you actually need to refer to the wording of a contract is when the relationship with the buyer has totally broken down. So concentrate on understanding what your buyer wants, and making sure they understand the art of the possible.

MuranoSilver
20-12-2009, 10:52 AM
I get 50% to full payment (their commitment to me)
The design is drawn out (and agreed by customer),
I keep them in the loop re progress.

Oh and I make sure they see plenty of my work so they know my style. :Y:
Also OK is to give yourself permission to say a polite no. ;)
This will save you a LOT of aggro e.g the lady that asked me to make a complex pave ring
was passed onto another designer as it wasn't suited to
1) What I'm good at
2) What I like to make

Nic xx

ben b
20-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Unfortunatly, there will always be mis-communication, between what the cutomer see's in thier mind, and what they get.

A lot of this is simply due to the customer visualising the impossible, and the designer producing the do'able, based on that sketched idea.

In such cases, you will find about half of those genuinly dissapointed will accept the item, not saying a word, and half will not want to pay, or ask if something can be done to change it, usually amounting to not wanting to pay for that one, as it will be beyond re modeling, and theyre politely asking you to start again.

I have had many many people come to me with pieces they have had made at different places, either relativly recently, or ages ago but never worn, to re do again as they dont feel able to ask and offend their makers.

Because of this, im sure it MUST have happened, just by sheer numbers, to me as well! but i will never know, as thats the nature of this polite dissatifaction, where thay go somewhere else!

Rocksforfrocks
01-01-2010, 04:50 PM
from experience, take at least a 50% deposit, write in detail the design and materials, colours, stones etc you are going to use and ask the customer to sign that they are happy with what you have specified

Carl Martin
01-01-2010, 07:07 PM
You put that much better then I did Frocks :D