PDA

View Full Version : Crimping - still my most common repair

lisaken
18-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Evening, just found the forum .. and was hoping for a little help I initially starting hand knotting necklaces and bracelets but also tried tiger tail in some designs but I have never been 100% comfortable with the security of crimps.

I have tried different types (from cookson and palmers) but it is still is the most common repair I need to make on my own jewellery is when crimps have failed.

Does anyone have any tips or alternatives to crimps?

:merryxmas:

lorraineflee
19-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi, no answer to your question - but - welcome to the forum and a beader will have a good answer for youI'm sure ('cos someone always does!).
:xmaswelcome:

Lorraine

Emerald
19-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Hi Lisaken welcome to the forum have you tried tornado crimps they are excellent not sure what they call them on cookies though they are slightly longer than the normal crimp and are slightly twisted and you just squeeze them flat they do seem stronger than a normal crimp.

Gemma
19-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Hello and :welcome: from me too.
Are you using crimping pliers?

bustagasket
19-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Hiya Lisa welcome to the forums, fraid i cant help with your question as i havent used crimps yet! :D:~:

Petal
19-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Hi Lisaken welcome to the forum have you tried tornado crimps they are excellent not sure what they call them on cookies though they are slightly longer than the normal crimp and are slightly twisted and you just squeeze them flat they do seem stronger than a normal crimp.

Yup, I'd agree. Tornado crimps are the way to go. I've crimped with all sorts of different ones and they are fine, haven't had a problem, but Tornados are the best. Strong and sturdy and look good too. I found mine from Beads Direct. There are some crimping tutorials that others have posted.

I've done a search on the forum and have found this one, but I know there are much better proper tutorials on the subject. will try and have a look later and post links, when I find them.

Hope this helps.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/craft-beading/810-beading-wire-breaking.html

mizgeorge
19-12-2009, 01:37 PM
They're not always called Tornado crimps - that's a brand name. Look for twisted crimps as well.

kymbi
19-12-2009, 04:06 PM
I usually use twisted crimps and find these are strong and hold really well - I've had very few fail on me over the last couple of years.

vannetta
02-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Tube crimping beads are great but you must use crimping pliers and crimping is a two step process. First step, the pliers makes a dent in the middle of the tube and the second step is folding over the tube. The pliers usually comes with instructions and you may need to practice.

Good luck.