PDA

View Full Version : Hi from North Devon

Di Sandland
25-07-2009, 01:39 PM
I've been buying from Cookson for a while now but never noticed the forum before - has it just started:confused:

Its great to find a discussion group based in the UK; the American ones are friendly and welcoming but a lot of the chat is about stuff that's not available here, so well done Cookson.

Di

julie
25-07-2009, 01:54 PM
hello di & welcome

Solunar Silver Studio
25-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi Di, I think I saw somewhere that the forum has been running about 3 weeks - but I only found it last week. I think we are all finding it useful and great to be able to talk to people from the UK about UK problems!!

What sort of jewellery are you 'in to'? I'm in love with fine silver and make quite a lot of fine silver chains. I'm a 'dabbler' in pmc but still have an awful lot to learn...and today I have been playing with enamels - which I rediscovered last week - so I'm all excited about that!!:D
Barbara

Di Sandland
25-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi Barbara

Silver wire and semi-precious stones but I'm a dabbler too and have a whole heap of polymer clay on my desk waiting to be turned into fine milliefiori beads :eek:

I've been flirting with the idea of PMC (and its variants) but I'm determined not to go gungho and waste a lot of money so I've booked myself a beginners class. Sadly, that isn't until October so I'm pretty sure I'll have weakened by then.

I'm saving up for the Mid-Cornwall place too - I'd love to do the PMC Certificate AND (sorry for shouting) the silversmithing AND everything else they offer. I live in North Devon so I could actually commute but the courses still cost a fortune don't they.

The latest bee in my bonnet is this microwave kiln thingie I've seen - anybody know if they work?

Oi - so much silver and so little time...

Di x

MuranoSilver
25-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Hi Di
Firstly
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/welcome.gif to the forum
The topic of Microwave Kilns comes up frequently on most of the forums I frequent (oh so many forums,lol)...
Personally I'd agree with the statement below ;)

To quote Tim McCreight (who wrote what is pretty much the metalsmiths bible)
"One immediate problem is it is very difficult to know how long to run it. If you consider that most microwave popcorn packages say something like "Heat for one to six minutes, depending on your microwave," you get an idea of how different the units can be. If you are making a dozen identical pieces, and don'tmind melting or underfiring the first ten, you can determine the proper time for that unique shape and get those last two right. Not an ideal arrangement."

For someone new to silverclay, I'd suggest a good torch would be more reliable.
PLUS once those hot metal gasses have vented through the top into the microwave itself, you shouldn't then use if for food...

The pros:
1) Cheap initial outlay

The Cons:
1) You contaminate your microwave
2) It's not suitable for hollow forms
3) No temperature control or way of viewing
4) Can melt you pieces as each microwave is different

All in all I'd save up and buy something like the Ultralite Kiln
or save even more and buy a small Paragon, Prometheus or Evenheat...

In the mean time good torch control would probably do for a lot of pieces
Nic x

Solunar Silver Studio
25-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Hi Barbara

I'm saving up for the Mid-Cornwall place too - I'd love to do the PMC Certificate AND (sorry for shouting) the silversmithing AND everything else they offer. I live in North Devon so I could actually commute but the courses still cost a fortune don't they.

Di x

Ahh! A fellow dreamer...:) I have been saving up for 18 months so far to do the intensive Diploma course at Mid Cornwall School of Jewelelry...but unlike you I have to add train fares to and from Cheshire and accomodation for the best part of a fortnight to the total too!! As the cost seems to go up about £500 a year I am constantly playing catch up:eek:...but that is still my goal....one day...(sighs dreamily!!)

I've been trying to teach myself from books and have never actually seen a piece of metal clay work in the flesh (so to speak) except my own...so heaven only knows if I am doing it right...but I love playing anyway!!

I invested in a Prometheus kiln at the end of 2007 and love it...It is small and faithful...and doesn't seem to mind what I put in it!!
Barbara

Charlotte
25-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Hello Di, welcome to the forum, where abouts in North Devon are you from? I was born in Torrington:)

Di Sandland
25-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Hello Di, welcome to the forum, where abouts in North Devon are you from? I was born in Torrington:)

Just down the road in Barnstaple - but I community midwifed in Torrington for a while so know it quite well...

Di Sandland
25-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Barbara

Well, you can probably remove the accommodation from your requirements now - providing you don't mind sleeping in the workroom :D Can't help you with the rest of the cost tho - let's dream on together eh?

Di Sandland
25-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Nic

Thanks for that - I've got Tim McCreight's Hot and Cold Connections - so I know what you mean about him being, well, almost biblical :p

I totally get what he says about popcorn - I've never managed to get an edible bowl from that microwave stuff. 'nuff said.

Di x

Solunar Silver Studio
25-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Barbara

Well, you can probably remove the accommodation from your requirements now - providing you don't mind sleeping in the workroom :D Can't help you with the rest of the cost tho - let's dream on together eh?

Good Heavens!! Are you serious???? :eek: I'll step into your dream anytime you want!! If you fancy the Diploma Course any time I'd love to join you!! Having said that ...if you suddenly realise what you have written and didn't really mean it to be taken literally that's OK too!:)
Barbara

Di Sandland
25-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Barbara - unless you have two heads and fearsome sharp teeth I was perfectly serious. My attitude is you get from life what you give...

Solunar Silver Studio
25-07-2009, 06:48 PM
No Di:), I'm quite tame and not terribly scary! My corners are well and truly rounded and I have a good - albeit rather weird - sense of humour:o Just name your date when you are ready...this year, next year, some year....and give me a poke! I think they only do the Diploma course 2 or 3 times a year...
Barbara

Di Sandland
25-07-2009, 10:11 PM
My corners are well and truly rounded and I have a good - albeit rather weird - sense of humour:o

I'm rounded and weird too - we'll get on great

MuranoSilver
25-07-2009, 10:44 PM
That's it - maybe I should come with you both and do the course too! :D
Nic x

bustagasket
26-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Hi Di and welcome, used to come down to N. dev a lot as my father-in-laws business was there and we were househunting there when we first got married, but never ended up with the move, such a shame.

Solunar Silver Studio
26-07-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm rounded and weird too - we'll get on great

(Quote from Nic - That's it - maybe I should come with you both and do the course too!
Nic x )

What fun we could have!! ...although you could probably teach THEM a thing or two Nic!

And Di, should you want to see how weird I am have a peek at my somewhat 'off the wall' personal blog on wordpress so you get an idea what you might be letting yourself in for!!
Barbara

bustagasket
26-07-2009, 01:51 PM
And Di, should you want to see how weird I am have a peek at my somewhat 'off the wall' personal blog on wordpress so you get an idea what you might be letting yourself in for!!
Barbara

I just checked your site, its all wonderful stuff!:eek:

Solunar Silver Studio
26-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Awwww.....thanks....(blush, blush!!):o
Barbara

AlexandraBuckle
27-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Hi Di, a belated welcome to the forum from me!

Di Sandland
27-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi Di, a belated welcome to the forum from me!

Thank you - another opportunity for one of these [[]]

Di x

MuranoSilver
27-07-2009, 01:24 PM
(Quote from Nic - That's it - maybe I should come with you both and do the course too!
Nic x )
What fun we could have!! ...although you could probably teach THEM a thing or two Nic!

ROFL - I'll be seeing Lisa Cain (of Mid-Cornwall Jewellery School) at the PMC conference next weekend,
(she's everso everso talented and some of her techniques leave me like this :confused:)

Nic xxx

Solunar Silver Studio
27-07-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't believe a word of it!:^o Better tell her/warn her we'll be coming en masse one day!!:D
Barbara

agent_44
27-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Hello and welcome :D

Ominicci
28-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Hello Di :welcome:

My Grandmother lives in Westward Ho! But I don't get there much - she usually comes to us or my Mum's near Bath, as she only has a little flat.

Di Sandland
28-07-2009, 01:46 PM
My Grandmother lives in Westward Ho!

Hey - just down the road. In fact my daughter lived in a flat there up until about 9 months ago. I wonder if its the same block of flats? She was the only young person there and was concerned that her newborn baby's yells (not many of them actually) would disturb the other residents. Eventually she went back up country to Dunstable. How mad is that!

Ominicci
28-07-2009, 02:16 PM
She is in Links House on Nelson Road. There are a few blocks in that area. LOL not many young people I agree!!

Di Sandland
28-07-2009, 03:29 PM
yup! That's where she was.

EmmaRose
28-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Welcome to forum!
I bought a little kiln (an uhlig) a couple of years ago, best thing I ever did (took me three years to make up my mind!).
Em
PS and lets persuade Cooksons to get those US goodies over here :D

bustagasket
28-07-2009, 03:39 PM
PS and lets persuade Cooksons to get those US goodies over here :D

I second that!