PDA

View Full Version : polishing marks !!!GRRR

mochiandmocha
18-12-2009, 03:16 PM
I need some serious help with my polishing. All my pieces are neat, polished with emery paper (different grades), smooth, etcetc, and then comes the compound steps, where I use tripoli and rouge (or other super finish of the same kind). The tripoli is OK (although sometimes some scratches appear, I think that comes from lack of emery paper polishing...?) but the rouge/super finish compound always leaves those nasty steam-like marks..GRRR GRR GRR!
I hat'em I hat'em I hat'em!

Anyway, I use a drill motor and cotton (I think) mops and I usually use lower speed.

What can I do? pleaaase... Polish faster? Use a different mop or compound?

Mochi.
PS:I'm really sorry and I feel bad for always asking questions and not helping other folks here yet but I really hope that I can contribute one day by giving advice rather than requiring it...

PPS: Have a lovely Xmas everyone! (and I hope Mochi loves the piece of jewellery I made him! It was in PMC so it does not have any steam-like marks coz I never used those nasty compounds eheh!^_^)

reeves
18-12-2009, 05:15 PM
you might want to change your compounds,on silver i use jewellers lustre or steelbright (grease)depending on the job and then rouge or Dialux,polinum finally a dip in a ultrasonic .you also might want to speed up your drill up i use a polishing motor ,about 30,000 rpm.Also your mops play a big part a close stitch(thick/heavy mop) for the Lustre compound and a good soft mop for the final finish.Hope this helps:dance:

Emerald
18-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Polish faster and make sure you are using two differnet mops for tripolli and Rouge and cleaning imbetween to stop cross contamination. Dont worry it will soon be your turn to help x

mochiandmocha
18-12-2009, 06:47 PM
thank you both so much! I will try faster and buy new mops for my rouge.^_^!

glen
18-12-2009, 07:14 PM
there was a post similar to this with lots of interesting advice a month or so ago.