PDA

View Full Version : The lighting dilemma

Fi Wilson
17-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Is it me or does anyone else seem to spend most of their time tweaking their lights when they're taking piccies of their jewellery? I've just uploaded some more piccies to my album and noticed that one was the same item but with two different lighting effects.

(First time I've inserted piccies so I hope these have worked)
Never ceases to amaze me how the lighting can totally change a piece - but that doesn't help to speed up the process either. Grr!:(| Maybe I'm just too fussy.

Fi

Di Sandland
17-12-2009, 08:45 PM
You can't be too fussy when it comes to your pics! Lighting is crucial, especially with jewellery. But, to be honest, I prefer the pic with the poorer lighting (i.e. the second one)! Don;t forget too that the first picture is not in such close up, which makes a difference.

The Dragon
17-12-2009, 10:10 PM
I like the second one as well and yes we are all just as fussy when it comes to the pictures. But that's a good thing I think (when you get over the stress).

If you don't mind me asking - where did you get your display stand from? I've got a couple of things in frosted acrylic but they are all quite small, the larger ones seem very expensive from the one supplier I've found so far.

:xmaswave:

Sunnybank
18-12-2009, 10:08 AM
The second one shows the detail on the beads beautifully. I'm useless at photography and am only just starting to learn and I have to say most of my learning is thanks to this site. :snow:

bustagasket
18-12-2009, 10:36 AM
yes i prefer the second too - it actually give quite a dramatic lighting effect

AliMac
18-12-2009, 12:01 PM
I love the lighting in the second picture, it makes the necklace look very dramatic.

lorraineflee
18-12-2009, 12:55 PM
I agree, the second one it is!

Lorraine

AlexandraBuckle
18-12-2009, 05:14 PM
yep i agree too :xmas-):

Gemma
18-12-2009, 06:12 PM
:": 2nd pic best!
Love the textures!

Fi Wilson
18-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys - nice to know I'm thinking along the lines of the majority as I think the second lighting effect is the better of the two too. :Y: Doubt I'll be able to replicate it again but I'll keep playing. Waiting for my order of daylight bulbs to fit in my other light (typical that I've got one lamp with bayonet and the other with screw fittings). It's going to be even more fun and frustration once they arrive!

Annie - I got my display from a website called Jewellery Display at www.jewellery-display.co.uk (http://www.jewellery-display.co.uk.). Loads to choose from and pretty quick delivery.

Fi

Hart-Star
20-12-2009, 10:33 AM
I think the link is, or should be Jewellery Displays (http://www.jewellery-display.co.uk/)

caroleallen
20-12-2009, 06:10 PM
I like the second one too. In the new year I'm doing a photography course which will cover photoshop as well. It's going to lead to a qualification, though I'm not bothered with that. Hopefully by the end of it I'll be able to do my own images for my website.

Fi Wilson
21-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the corrected link Neil. Don't know what happened there!

Photoshop is great and I'm learning stuff on it every day but more through my 'how would I do that' sort of mentality :-". Google's always a good starting point for an specific effects though.

Fi