PDA

View Full Version : Sievert torch tips - what are they actually like?

Dano
17-12-2009, 08:08 PM
i'm getting a sievert torch for christmas (yay!) and it comes with the needle flame tip but... how big is that? and the other tips you can get ranked in size, how big are the flames actually?

cookies i love you dearly but sometimes your catalogue seems to work on the assumption that anything people buy from you they have already bought previously.

also are there any general gotchas i should look out for?

Emerald
17-12-2009, 10:04 PM
I have a sievert but not a needle point probably a couple of sizes bigger than that, the Needlepoint would probably look like the flame of a pic Bigwol has somewhere

lilacmonkey
20-12-2009, 08:24 AM
the needle flame nozzle that i have is great for soldering wire work and small bezels.
silver rings are ok to do providing they are not to big.
but not for heating large pieces of sheet.

i also have the 3939 nozzle for bigger stuff.
this is great for gold rings and big bezels,and and other big solding jobs.
if you want this big nozzle cookies have it but you will also need to buy the necktube aswell.

Jewellery Making Supplies | Cookson Gold Precious Metals | Jewellery Findings (http://www.cooksongold.com/category_select.jsp?query=Sievert+Burner+3939&submit.x=13&submit.y=9)

Sievert Necklet Tube 3511 - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Sievert-Necklet-Tube-3511-prcode-999-ATY)

stu g

Dano
20-12-2009, 02:11 PM
oh ace, thanks stu =D just what i was after! what about crucible melting, will the biggest one cooksons do be enough?

i been googling like mad and some of the non-jewellery tips you can get are bananas, the roofing and road burning ones are literally the size of a KFC bucket

ben b
20-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Whilst on the subject of torches, I'd like to remind newbee's of the mouth blow torch, which is the traditional jewellers torch.

They run off a single gas, usually butane, but will accept propane (do check before buying) or natural gas. The air is supplied via blowing into a tube connected to it, and they are much much lower gas pressure than sievert or similar propane torch.

Though many torches will cross over and do similar jobs, traditionaly to my mind, seivert and similar torches are for silversmiths, wishing to solder on tankard handles, where real power with a broad flame is needed, although many use them with complete success for jewellery tasks.

So just thought i'd remind folks, about the mouth blow torch, as its often overlooked, or not understood, so not purchased.

lilacmonkey
20-12-2009, 06:53 PM
oh ace, thanks stu =D just what i was after! what about crucible melting, will the biggest one cooksons do be enough?

i been googling like mad and some of the non-jewellery tips you can get are bananas, the roofing and road burning ones are literally the size of a KFC bucket

i'm not to sure about it being big enough for melting.
and i know what you mean about the road burning nozzles lol.
when i bought mine off e bay it came with a shrink wrapping nozzle.
i got lucky with mine £25 plus postage complete set up.
i think people where put off by the big nozzle fitted to it.

lilacmonkey
20-12-2009, 06:58 PM
one other thing check where you buy your gas to see if they carry nozzles in stock.
british air products in bristol do,so maybe thier other branches do as well.

Dano
05-01-2010, 05:03 PM
okay i finally found a gas bottle! (to hell with BP and their new terrible proprietary connectors and "patio gas" augh)

do i need to use PTFE tape when putting this thing together? i would assume not, because it's parallel threads, but i don't particurlarly want to assume anything about a 6kg tank of pressurised propane =/

ben b
05-01-2010, 06:16 PM
No, you shouldnt need ptfe, but you will need a spanner to tighten the nut.
presumably your torch comes with the PRESSURE ADAPTOR...?

this, is rather important!

I think when you do up the nut, on gas bottles the direction of screw is reversed form a normal screw?....

Dont forget, you shouldnt really keep those large (6kg...or small, med or large caravan type gas bottles) in the house, when its PROPANE.
Butane is ok, and is often used in heaters, but propane is more volatile and is supposed to be kept out of the premises, in a cage (ideally) and brought in to work with, then removed again.

Dano
05-01-2010, 09:09 PM
yeah i got the cookies kit, hose, handset, neck, needlepoint burner and a big ole regulator, and yes it screws together backwards, i thought i'd suffered a brain injury at first trying to put it together

i hate hate hate having the tank in the house, if i had the money i'd run pipes so it was permanently outside, but i can't even stretch to a cage and i don't want it to get nicked so there's not really much else i can do :< can i get it in a less scary friendly looking tank that i could keep inside without having the remains of my house appear on the news?

also, what tip would you recommend for melting scrap in a crucible for delft casting? good grief i might just stick the whole thing in a box until i can get a proper workshop and stick to my little cheffy butane torch for now

lilacmonkey
06-01-2010, 08:57 AM
dano
heres a simple tip if you want to check for leaks if you are concerned about it.
once everything is conected.
make up a weak soapy solution in a hand sprayer.
open the valve on the bottle and a little spray on each joint.
a gas leak will show up as lots of bubbles.
dont ever be tempted to use grease or oil on the threads very very dengerous.

stu g

Dano
06-01-2010, 07:03 PM
just addind to this post to let stu know he probably saved my life with that tip, didn't have the handpiece screwed on right at all, eek.

all gastight now! just a bigger torch head needed and then i can get on with delft casting yay =D>

Carl Martin
06-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Whilst on the subject of torches, I'd like to remind newbee's of the mouth blow torch, which is the traditional jewellers torch.

They run off a single gas, usually butane, but will accept propane (do check before buying) or natural gas. The air is supplied via blowing into a tube connected to it, and they are much much lower gas pressure than sievert or similar propane torch.

Though many torches will cross over and do similar jobs, traditionaly to my mind, seivert and similar torches are for silversmiths, wishing to solder on tankard handles, where real power with a broad flame is needed, although many use them with complete success for jewellery tasks.

So just thought i'd remind folks, about the mouth blow torch, as its often overlooked, or not understood, so not purchased.

Absolutely agree Ben , very good advice.

lilacmonkey
09-01-2010, 08:33 AM
just addind to this post to let stu know he probably saved my life with that tip, didn't have the handpiece screwed on right at all, eek.

all gastight now! just a bigger torch head needed and then i can get on with delft casting yay =D>

the 3939 nozzle is a good alrounder if you have the needle point nozzle.
you will need to get another neck tube to go with it though.
stu g

Dano
09-01-2010, 03:30 PM
the 3939 nozzle is a good alrounder if you have the needle point nozzle.
you will need to get another neck tube to go with it though.
stu g

is that big enough for it? in the delft demo videos here (http://www.delftclay.nl/index.php?page=youtube&hl=en) he's using a nozzle like an inch across? sorry for being such a pain in the bum :(

lilacmonkey
09-01-2010, 07:38 PM
hi dan
it looks to me but cannot be sure i'd say he was using the 3939 nozzle.
its about 3/4" in diameter.
i've not tried melting ore yet as i havnt the kit for cast thats next on my wish list when i can afford it.
stu g