PDA

View Full Version : The process of making sterling jewellery

Petal
17-12-2009, 07:23 PM
As a beginner, I have been reading a couple of books on the subject. What I would like to know is not only that I should do something a certain way, but why.

For example, I've heard of hard solder medium solder and easy solder in pallions, but have also had a go at using solder from a syringe - what would be the reasons for using either?

I'm probably asking the impossible, but it would be great if a flow-chart of ways of making jewellery existed somewhere, so that I can gain more of an understanding of the why's and wherefore's of each process. I've had a go at Googling it, but no luck....

Am I making sense, or shall I get my coat now..?

Fi Wilson
17-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Jules, stay away from that coat rack and stick by your workbench!!! :dance:

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll ever find the flowchart you're after as making jewellery is often down to basic methods mixed with experience of what works for you. Don't be afraid to experiment. As far as the solder question goes I think the use of pallions or paste via syringe is down to personal preference. I know I've stuck with paste as it's less faffing with cutting pallions and flux - but you still get the same end result of joining ends together.

Have you had a look at the Cookies knowledgbase at Jewellery Making - Articles, Datasheets Hints & Tips (http://www.cooksongold.com/technical/). I'm sure that will answer alot of your questions.

I'm sure you'll also find a lot of info on this forum too as there are some very friendly knowledgeable people on here.

Fi

Fi Wilson
17-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Just noticed that you're a senior member of the forum but you're saying you're a newbie to jewellery making. Hope what I've just said wasn't patronising [-o<. Forgive me if it was!!!! :X

Petal
17-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Just noticed that you're a senior member of the forum but you're saying you're a newbie to jewellery making. Hope what I've just said wasn't patronising [-o<. Forgive me if it was!!!! :X

Good grief Fi, of course it wasn't patronising. You don't need to worry about offending me Fi. I'm only a senior member because I joined the Cookies forum in the early stages. I've just spent all my time stringing beads and ogling all the other things that the other, very talented, forumites make.

I decided after going to a workshop with Di at George's place, to finally give it a proper go, so that was why I posed the question about the why's and wherefore's! I also decided today that I am going to take all my jewellery pieces apart and start again - New Year - new start!

Julie Moss
24-01-2010, 04:56 PM
I would use solder strip rather than syringe. Paste has it's durability problems and using solder strip is so much more versatile.

Julie

York School of Jewellery- classes and courses in jewellery (http://www.york-school-of-jewellery.co.uk)

WitchfordSilver
24-01-2010, 06:09 PM
I use both, but strip more often.

I run it through the rolling mill so I can cut very small amounts, keep in a pot and use the size that fits the joint being made.

mizgeorge
24-01-2010, 06:28 PM
I would use solder strip rather than syringe. Paste has it's durability problems and using solder strip is so much more versatile.

Julie

Julie, what durability problems are you aware of using paste solder? I use both, depending on the application, but haven't come across any known problems which might suggest that paste is in any way less good.

amazingbabe
24-01-2010, 10:11 PM
:-OWell i use only solder paste and i am totally unaware of durability problems

MuranoSilver
24-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Maybe Julie is refering to the longevity of the paste rather than the results?
I use paste all the time and my first tube is quite dry now....
nicx

mizgeorge
25-01-2010, 07:35 AM
If it gets dry, you can always add a little meths (not water) if necessary though.

I do think the small tubes are better than the large - and easier to apply too, but I'm concerned that there is a perceived problem with durability - which would imply some longer-term problem?

lynnm
25-01-2010, 07:41 AM
I do think the small tubes are better than the large - and easier to apply too, but I'm concerned that there is a perceived problem with durability - which would imply some longer-term problem?

That is interesting as I was going to buy some... does it not keep well then?

mizgeorge
25-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Mine lasts for years. And I've never had any problems at all, which is why I'm hoping Julie will come back about her comment on durability.

Petal
25-01-2010, 05:59 PM

Julie

York School of Jewellery- classes and courses in jewellery (http://www.york-school-of-jewellery.co.uk)

What's your experience of durability problems with the paste then Julie? I'd love to know, as I'm at the stage of deciding which type to buy.

thanks

Di Sandland
26-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Julie - any feedback on the paste durabiity before I go using it again?

Julie Moss
05-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Sorry for late response. Re: my experience of solder paste - joints failed/disintegrated some time later so personally I would steer away from it. Much happier using strip - it's very versatile. You can use as is, roll or hammer to thin it, cut it into pallions, make balls, feed it and more......!!).

Julie