PDA

View Full Version : Cufflinks

Di Sandland
16-12-2009, 09:25 AM
How long does a cufflink chain need to be, approximately? Just clarify, I mean the bit between the front and the back.

amazingbabe
16-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Are you making them with a T bar Di ?? If so about 3-4 links like the ones in georges shop by george - gallery (http://www.designedbygeorge.co.uk/page8.htm) (gorgeous).. I have made some cufflinks with findings from cooks and the bar measures about half an inch xx :Y:

Di Sandland
16-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks Gayle.

They're an extra Christmas pressie for number one son. He has to wear dress shirts for work and it's become traditional now that he always gets a pair of cufflinks as an extra gift. I thought this year I'd make 'em!

mizgeorge
16-12-2009, 10:36 AM
No more than about four links - it's surprising how short they actually need to be to sit nicely. A lot end up being far too long and then they just look floppy!

What a lovely pressie :)

Di Sandland
16-12-2009, 10:47 AM
And, George... I'm thinking of using argentium (remember the project we talked about that fused beautifully?) About to put it in my basket now - what wire diameter do you reckon?

I'd like to incorporate a small stone within the mesh but think that might be a tad ambitious - what do you reckon?

amazingbabe
16-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Di when they are done you must defo post a pic, can't wait to see them xx:hohoho:

mizgeorge
16-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Sounds fab! I used 0.7 (which is a great all-purpose size), but 0.8 worked well too ;)

I can't see any reason not to incorporate a stone - perhaps make a little bezel from a bit of lightweight sheet and fuse that in too? If you don't want to buy sheet, just get a bit of thicker wire (1.5mm perhaps) and forge it down to make the strip.

Di Sandland
16-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Cheers George - knew you'd have the answer ;)