PDA

View Full Version : Fine Silver, Sterling and Argentium

Mila Jewellery
15-12-2009, 06:23 PM
I currently work in sterling silver - I have done since uni, and we were never taught about working in anything else. I was wondering what the advantages are of working in fine silver, I know it doesn't firestain and that it's obviously more pure than sterling but as for the working properties I know very little really so sorry if these questions are a bit dim! lol. I'd love to try some PMC which is fine silver so need to know a bit more before I start. Do I need special solder? I saw on Cookson's that Argentium has it's own solder so it made me think. Has anyone worked with Argentium and how have you found it?

Di Sandland
15-12-2009, 06:40 PM
I know George is a recent convert to Argentium and she thinks its wonderful, not least because it fuses so well.

caroleallen
15-12-2009, 06:50 PM
I love Argentium but I have to be careful not to get it mixed up with sterling as it's no good with enamel. It's great for balling up as well as fusing. You do have to be careful though as it slumps very easily when soldering and you can't clamp it. Although there are drawbacks, I really really like it.

mizgeorge
15-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Love it for fused stuff. I don't like soldering it though - although this would probably improve if I could get round to ordering some paste solder from the US.

The other problem is that it gets very brittle when it's at annealing temperature, so you have to be careful to remember not to quench too soon, or to move it around while soldering.

I wondered why I wasn't getting great firescale resistance, so finally looked at the technical data, and found that it doesn't like being worked on charcoal, which apparently inhibits the formation of the germanium layer. It does work better on a fireblock (serves me right for not reading the instructions first!)

It's still too expensive for me to use for everyday stuff, but it's definitely something I'll stick with. Unlike Brilliante, which was horrid.

I only ever used fine silver for things which needed fusing, and always disliked how soft it is, so Argentium's a fantastic solution for that.

I haven't tried it as a replacement for fine silver in lampwork beads yet as I've still got lots of fine to get through, but when that runs out, I will try it.

Di Sandland
15-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Can it be hallmarked the same?

caroleallen
15-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Yes, it's hallmarked as 925

Mila Jewellery
15-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the info ;) x

lorraineflee
16-12-2009, 10:18 AM
...and of course for PMC , most of the joining of bits (technical term there!) is done before you fire the article, therefore you don't need to solder at all!

Lorraine

Mila Jewellery
16-12-2009, 07:42 PM
...and of course for PMC , most of the joining of bits (technical term there!) is done before you fire the article, therefore you don't need to solder at all!

Lorraine

Good point!

Di Sandland
21-12-2009, 12:13 PM
I have just used Argentium for the first time and I am a convert. It fuses like a dream - you have to be watchful tho - cos it melts pretty quickly. As George already advised me, don't use a charcoal block cos the argentium goes grey and murky if you do.

Just imagine - a world without solder. :snow: