PDA

View Full Version : Re-stringing pearls

caroleallen
12-12-2009, 05:56 PM
I was asked by an elderly lady today whether I would restring her pearls with a magnetic clasp. She was in a wheelchair and lives in a local home, which is probably why I said I'd look into it for her, as I'd normally say no. Has anyone restrung pearls as I need to give her a quote and don't know how long it might take?

Petal
12-12-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm sure Charlotte restrung some pearls a while back, I'll have a look for her thread and put a link in when I find it. BTW, you need to check that she doesn't have a pacemaker fitted!

Here it is...

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/got-jewellery-question/866-stringing-pearls.html

caroleallen
12-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Ooh, I hadn't thought of that!

Petal
12-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Here's another link too...

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/got-jewellery-question/1506-help-pearl-stringing.html

What hadn't you thought of, the pacemaker?

caroleallen
12-12-2009, 06:57 PM
That was a really useful link. Thanks. And yes, I meant I hadn't thought of the pacemaker.

Charlotte
12-12-2009, 08:25 PM
I really enjoyed learning to string pearls. I would recommend getting the stringing tool, I think that cost me £10, you need a bit of superglue, the silks and the clasps, the gimp stuff leaves a really neat professional finish. Those links in the other thread are fab. I think I got what I could from cooksons and got the rest from ebay (what they didn't sell). The only things I struggled with was getting the right thickness of silk (to match the holes in the pearls) and getting the right sized gimp. I made what I had work though. Will be stringing again next week for the second time for a 50th birthday present for an auntie. Let us know if you decide to go for it! I found it was relatively cheap and now I have a load of stuff I can use in the future.

Mila Jewellery
12-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I used to string pearl necklaces all day long and I was just trying to work out how long roughly it would take...and I'm ashamed to say I don't really know :o
And I must have strung hundreds! I would say maybe 30-45 mins, perhaps maybe a bit longer if it's the first one you've done. Get the gimp and bits that Charlotte mentioned as it will make finishing tidy - I didn't use a stringing tool though - just a thick needle, like a tapestry one, when knotting between each pearl,;)

caroleallen
12-12-2009, 08:51 PM
That's helpful info. I already have gimp so I'm halfway there.

ben b
12-12-2009, 10:06 PM
As a 'jeweller' I get asked to do quite a few things, some, such as hand engraving, or pave stone setting, which are out of my area, or at least, practiced skills.
But, the customer is asking me, because they trust me, or have seen my work is quality.
In these instances, i use my contacts, such as a proffessional pearl stringer, who does nothing but string pearls all day, and has tons of experience.
Of course, as not just an artisan, but a bisinesswoman, your skill has to be finding one that is good, not just advertises for trade work!
Sometimes, by subbing a job out, the person that came to you, and trusted you, has a top quality job, and just one, local point of contact..you.
a win win situation.
not the usual helpful answer, but something else to consider!

mizgeorge
12-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Before you start Carole, have you checked that they actually need restringing, or does she just want the clasp changed or converted?

I don't find pearl stringing difficult (I use tweezers or a needle, I can't get on with a tri-knotter at all), but I don't know that I'd want to have done it for a first time with someone else's pearls!

I think I'd reckon on about an hour altogether (including the unstringing to start with).

caroleallen
13-12-2009, 05:58 AM
I think this may be a job for after Christmas when I've got the time to visit her in her home and discuss what she actually wants. She originally asked if I had a necklace with magnetic clasp and then said she'd love to be able to wear her pearls again. She said she was really serious about it so I said I'd look into it and give her a ring. Knowing how difficult it is for elderly disabled people, I'd like to be able to help her out if I can.

Petal
13-12-2009, 07:45 AM
I'd probably have a go with some swaro pearls as a practice - I use cheaper components when I'm having a practice and find that useful.

I don't know about you, Carole, but I find it quite difficult balancing customers needs and my limited time, especially when I am unable to say no, but that's partly due to my lack of experience in this game.