PDA

View Full Version : Argentium extras

Somersetmaker
11-12-2009, 08:22 AM
I've been researching changing over to Argentium and have been surprised to be unable to find some of the things I need in the range Cooksons offer.

None of the pickling chemicals recommended, no solder paste . . do you have any plans to stock these Cooksons or are you driving me towards other suppliers???

mizgeorge
11-12-2009, 08:58 AM
I've been pickling Argentium with alum with no problems so far. I would also be grateful for some paste though - it's ridiculously expensive having to get it from the US. That said, I mainly fuse it - it's a joy to do compared to fine or sterling :)

ps_bond
11-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Normal safety pickle works fine for me. I've got some of the "proper" hard solder, however.

Somersetmaker
13-12-2009, 07:19 PM
I've been pickling Argentium with alum with no problems so far. I would also be grateful for some paste though - it's ridiculously expensive having to get it from the US. That said, I mainly fuse it - it's a joy to do compared to fine or sterling :)

Ooo - that sounds good. I'd like to get back to fusing but with the thickness of gold (~0.2mm) I want to put on to silver I suspect the paste would be useful.

Good to hear you've been getting on OK with 'normal' safety pickle ps_bond. That simplifies my life. :)

caroleallen
13-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Fusing fine gold wire onto argentium is a doddle. No solder needed.

Somersetmaker
15-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Fusing fine gold wire onto argentium is a doddle. No solder needed.

I'm using thin sheet so as much as anything else I don't want it to fly away! Anyway I'll have to experiment.

caroleallen
15-12-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't think you'll have any problems with fusing thin fine gold sheet onto argentium as long as you flux it first with Auroflux.

Somersetmaker
04-05-2010, 11:15 AM
So . . where has the argentium gone???
Can anyone tell me what Cooksons are doing about this?

griffT
04-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I vaguely remember a communication from Cooksons saying that they were phasing out Argentium. Of couse I shall be shot down in flames if I'm wrong but I do recall something earlier this year....

Nick.

Somersetmaker
04-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks griffT.
Yeh - I gather they've dumped it but missed the info.
Now looking for other suppliers Cooksons <_<

Somersetmaker
04-05-2010, 12:14 PM
REALLY irritated by this move Cooksons.
Its a great alloy - please get it back NOW!

ps_bond
04-05-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm still waiting to hear what's coming in instead.

From the FAQ:

As of 4th January 2010, the exclusive License entered into by Cookson Precious Metals and Argentium International Ltd. to supply Argentium products was terminated by mutual agreement.

Cookson Precious Metals will continue to supply mill products with the exception of Grain until 31st March 2010 or earlier in the event that the remaining stock is sold.

Argentium International will continue to sell via a restructured manufacturing, distribution and sales network shortly to be announced.
For further information regarding Argentium Silver please visit Argentium Silver | Home (http://www.argentiumsilver.com).

Somersetmaker
04-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks Peter.

How many of us are really fed up with this decision?
Personally I'd go with whichever supplier can offer argentium in the UK. Cooksons may loose much more than a % on their silver sales.

A very short term decision Cooksons. I'm disappointed in you.

lesley
04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm also disappointed but I've read that some US suppliers are having problems renewing their license.

Somersetmaker
04-05-2010, 12:57 PM
So . . Google tells me:

Argentium Boosts International Supply Chain

LONDON, April 1, 2010 /PRNewswire/ --

- New Suppliers Announced for Major Silver Markets

Argentium International Limited, the company behind the world's most famous highly tarnish resistant silver, began implementing its new distribution strategy for Argentium earlier this year with the appointment of the Legor Group as technical partners and suppliers of Argentium silver grain.

Argentium International is delighted to announce two additional important collaborations that further strengthen its international network of 'best in class' manufacturers and suppliers in two of the world's major silver markets.

Richard Leyens, CEO of Argentium International said, "We are thrilled to have new suppliers on board who will provide Argentium sheet and wire products in both the USA and Europe. The two newly appointed exclusive suppliers are GSM Metals Inc and La.Met S.p.A."

Leyens further commented, "GSM Metals Inc of Rhode Island is a manufacturer of precious metal alloys in addition to being suppliers of finished jewellery items to some of the world's most famous luxury brands."

Ashley Cimini Singh, President of GSM remarked, "We are extremely excited to be partners with Argentium International and see unique opportunities with vast potential for Argentium. Our company is perfectly placed to service the growing demand. There are already around two thousand Argentium users in the US and it is our job to ensure we provide the best quality products and service. We believe we can double the size of the market over the next three years".

Peter Oliver, Sales Director at La.Met S.p.A said, "Italy is the home of fine silver jewellery and silverware and is by far the largest European market. We are therefore honoured to be the first exclusive partner to produce and sell Argentium mill products in the Italian market. We look forward to developing business in other European countries too. We are renowned for premium quality goods and believe that the Argentium brand is perfectly aligned with our company's core values. We are all very enthused as this is a fantastic opportunity for our business. Argentium is a fabulous product and we are proud to play such an important role in its future."

For more information about Argentium Silver please visit: http://www.argentiumsilver.com or contact info@argentiumsilver.com

Argentium Silver is a revolutionary alloy with unique qualities: highly tarnish resistant, purer, whiter, stronger, harder than traditional sterling silver.

Argentium International delivers the benefits of Argentium Silver and the Argentium brand to the global marketplace.

Clare Felgate, e. clare@argentium.com, t. +44(0)845-20-970-970

Distributed by PR Newswire on behalf of Argentium International Ltd

caroleallen
04-05-2010, 01:06 PM
From mid to end of May, we'll be able to get Argentium from
ARGEX LTD
130 HOCKLEY HILL
BIRMINGHAM
B18 5AN

Somersetmaker
04-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Ah - THANKS caroleallen!
I wonder what else they supply . . .:whistling;

ps - I saw somewhere you're going to be at Henley next week. Will try to find you to thank you in person! :)

mizgeorge
04-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Ah! The Italian connection ;)

FiredSilver
04-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Yay! I love buying from Argex always get great prices and service.

Becci
x

caroleallen
04-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Ooh, are you going to be there too?

Lisa Quinn
04-05-2010, 01:19 PM
ARGEX LTD
130 HOCKLEY HILL
BIRMINGHAM
B18 5AN

Thanks Carole, that's great news

Somersetmaker
04-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Yes - I've been there a few years now.
But I have the joys of Hatfield first so I may be carrying enormous dark rings under my eyes by then.
I'm a bit blurry after Penshurst already tbh! :lol:

Ominicci
05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
ARGEX LTD
130 HOCKLEY HILL
BIRMINGHAM
B18 5AN

Thanks from me too!!! I love it for earwires as it balls perfectly on the end. Argentium wire is good for fusing too! :dance:

caroleallen
05-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Yes - I've been there a few years now.
But I have the joys of Hatfield first so I may be carrying enormous dark rings under my eyes by then.
I'm a bit blurry after Penshurst already tbh! :lol:
It'll be good to see you - what name will you be under?

Somersetmaker
17-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Sorry to have missed you yesterday - I was in far-away D marquee and didn't get around the show much.
Hope you got my message . . and had a good show.:~:

caroleallen
19-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi, I'm sorry I missed you too Prue. I think we were quite near to each other last year. It was quite a good show and I was well pleased with sales. How did it go for you?

Leorich
22-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Has anybody noticed a fantastic new resource for Argentium? I know it's not really pc to mention it here but there's a site I've just discovered xyz. Since the alloy has moved it's hard to get help but picked up some great tips which I'm gonna use soon. My new hobby may just become my new business...I wonder if anyone else spotted this site, don't know why the guys at Argentium haven't promoted it?

ps_bond
22-02-2011, 04:52 PM
It is, quite frankly, a dire site - and until I've had a bit more time to decide whether it is just spam or not, I've removed the link from your post. We do have a restriction on posting links for a reason - so if you're genuine, please feel free to introduce yourself and that restriction is automatically lifted after very few posts.

ps_bond
22-02-2011, 05:00 PM
OK, after a brief skim of some of the pages at http://argentiumguild.com - this is a purely flash-based website that appears to have been developed in a triumph of form over function. It is registered at the same address as Argentiumsilver.com , so I'm leaning towards it being legit - but an excellent object lesson in how not to develop a web site.

And I *like* Argentium...

mizgeorge
22-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Peter, I'm not sure if it helps, but somebody calling themselves Bess27 has just made an almost identical post on another forum.....

I think the site is probably genuine (though the offer is a total rip-off), but the way it's being promoted certainly isn't.

I like Argentium too, but wish I could confidently buy it in the UK.

ps_bond
22-02-2011, 08:04 PM
I did google to see if the wording had cropped up anywhere else... The site does seem to be very US-focussed, although there are also ads flashing up for Argex & similar.

Cheers George!

Leorich
23-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Sorry didn't mean to trip up over the stringent rules, I was just keen to share. I'm a student and hobbyist with a passion. I was so delighted to see the 'unmentionable' site appear that I came out of hiding to make a posting.

I haven't subscribed to it as yet as a lot of info is freely available. Apart from the ads, that are mostly US focused, I find the info quite universal...don't agree with the comment 'form over function' as it is simply intended as a resource site, I do find flash a bit annoying with a lot of unnecessary animation through.

My sincere apologies for my indiscretion...I will insure that future posts are tempered in accordance to the letter of the forum's law.

ps_bond
23-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Sharing is good and to be encouraged. However, as I'm sure you'll understand, we do get a number of single posts from people who are *incredibly* enthusiastic about such-and-such a site - which usually has some commercial bias.

The comment of it being a triumph of form over function is, naturally, a subjective one - and to me the excessive use of Flash suggests that whoever designed the site had little idea about web usability criteria, even less on accessibility issues and none whatsoever about discrete design. At the very least there should be the option for non-Flash, or low bandwidth - the idea that I'd download an app to view it on an iOS device is frankly ludicrous. As a repository for information on the alloy it does more for me to obstruct the message than to make it available - and isn't all this available elsewhere? We do have a couple of web designers here from time to time; I'd be very interested to hear their analysis of it.

In the meantime: Welcome, please feel free to join in; introducing yourself is a convention rather than a rule - the few that we do have really aren't that onerous.