PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Gemma
10-12-2009, 03:00 PM
As I'm sure you all know I am fairly new to all this and lapping up all your advice. :ta: I'm in need of more please!

At the mo I'm just playing about really and seeing what happens. I'm not desiging properly. The pic shows the beginning of a pendant I hope to give to a celtic and amethyst loving friend of mine for people. I was inspired by a pic in a great book (celtic art: the methods of construction by George Bain). Its a drawing book not jewellery but is great for inspiration. The knotwork was tough to do (I used 2mm wire) but I'm quite pleased with the results.

I want to add some amethyst into the larger loop. I tried bezel setting a facetted stone but did a really bad job. When hunting around for any other amethyst I came across some beads. I thought it would be nice to add the bead instead. The idea is to have a piece of wire or something that the bead can sit on but still move as a kinetic touch. I tried soldering some wire with the bead on it across the gap. This resulted in quite a few broken and discoloured beads from the heat of the torch. After getting hit in the face with a shard of hot amethyst I gave up on that plan.

Should I give up and buy a cabachon instead or can anyone help?

agent_44
10-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Yeah, heating gemstones isn't a very good idea :) which is a pain in the bum really!

If I understand what you want to do correctly then an idea would be to solder one end of the wire to the pendant and hold the bead in place using a nailhead rivet. Using a light hammer carefully flatten off the free end of the wire, making sure you dont smash your bead. There's a useful bit on this in Tim McReight Complete Metalsmith if you have it.

Gemma
10-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Oooh thanks Lucinda. I do have that book and have the page in front of me now. I may be able to manage that....
:ta:

Di Sandland
10-12-2009, 03:39 PM
celtic art: the methods of construction by George Bain. Its a drawing book

I've had this book for years and its wonderful, if a tad complex :confused:

Gemma
10-12-2009, 03:45 PM
I've only used it to look at the pretty pics. Haven't tried drawing from it yet. I agree its quite complex. I wish I knew what all the numbers are about (and I'm a numbers person!)

ps_bond
10-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I've got one of the Aidan Meehan books - and I don't like it all that much, it's somewhat formulaic. Does the Bain book go much beyond using a simple grid?

Gemma
10-12-2009, 04:07 PM
It doesn't really use grids, more points of various spacing. Amazon have a search inside feature but it doesn't show any of the construction pages but does have the contents so you can see what it covers. LINK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/0094769001/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-page)

Di Sandland
10-12-2009, 04:26 PM
still very formulaic tho Peter. If you want to borrow it to have a squiz, PM me.

Gemma
10-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Actually it might be better to borrow my copy as I'm Southampton and you're Southamptonish!!

I made a real mess of trying to rivet. The hole I tried to drill through was too big for the 2mm wire. :(

I'll have a go at adding a cabochon when the ones I've just ordered arrive unless anyone has any bright (and simple) ideas...?

mizgeorge
10-12-2009, 06:18 PM
I know this might sound a bit obvious, but why not just wire wrap it? Three or four turns on each side of the frame with the bead strung between could look really nice - and would cover any holes you've made! Wrapping can look great with heavier gauges as well as the fine stuff you normally associated with the technique.

Carl Martin
10-12-2009, 06:20 PM
It is possible,if you know how :) both following examples were hard soldered. The murano glass beads in question were made by me and mounted in what is essentially 4 x 2mm "D" wire.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2usc09w.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/vf9ndj.jpg

Gemma
10-12-2009, 06:33 PM
I know this might sound a bit obvious, but why not just wire wrap it?
I might just do that George thanks.

It is possible,if you know how :)

How then Carl!?!?!?!

mizgeorge
10-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Carl - not Murano ;) Effetre glass may be made there, but only beads made on Murano should ever be styled as such. Artisan lampwork is a more prestigious description anyway!

Carl Martin
10-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Carl - not Murano ;) Effetre glass may be made there, but only beads made on Murano should ever be styled as such. Artisan lampwork is a more prestigious description anyway!

Well shiver me timbers I stand corrected.

ps_bond
10-12-2009, 08:47 PM
It is possible,if you know how :)

Immersing the bead in wet sand? Underwater?
Water torch?

:D

(Colonel Mustard, in the drawing room, with the Microflame...)

Gemma
10-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Right...I've wire wrapped! Like it cos I've now made a wire wrapped bail to match so thanks George. It just needs micromeshing and liver or sulphuring (with windows OPEN) then polishing again.
Or can I get away with just the last polish? My instructions on the LoS say to add polished silver...

I'll post the pic when done :snow:

reeves
10-12-2009, 09:53 PM
please be careful when heating jobs with stones in, not many stones/gems take heat.the only ones which can take heat are diamonds (careful with colour ones)sapphires,ruby's :~:

Gemma
11-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks Scott. Useful to know

Btw: Love your avatar!

Gemma
11-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Taadaa!!! All done.
I know its not perfect but I keep staring at it amazed that I made it. Kirsty will love it.
Thanks all for your advice even if I didn't take it!!

Emerald
11-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Gemma thats looks fabulous with the wire wrapping, you used the best solution i am sure your friend will love it xx:xmas-):

lesley
11-12-2009, 09:21 AM
It's a beauty - no wonder you're pleased. :)

Jayne
11-12-2009, 09:22 AM
That's lovely Gemma - you've done it really well :Y:
J x

Solunar Silver Studio
11-12-2009, 09:24 AM
That is really lovely!! Well done!:Y:

Di Sandland
11-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Gemma, its gorgeous, well done you. She will love it :Y:

mizgeorge
11-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Well that worked!!!
It looks great :)

lorraineflee
11-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Gemma, that's lovely - she can't help but be pleased.

Lorraine

AlexandraBuckle
11-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Thats a lovely pendant :) Well done!

Kalorlo
11-12-2009, 09:40 AM
What they said! That's worked really well :Y:

snow_imp
11-12-2009, 09:54 AM
I agree with everyone else - it looks great.

Ominicci
11-12-2009, 10:25 AM
IT IS FAB! The wire wrapping looks really good with the pendant style and it is brilliantly Celtic!! Looks like you dug it up at a Time Team dig - very authentic. I love it :Y:

Lisa Quinn
11-12-2009, 10:35 AM
That's fab Gemma, I'm sure Kirsty will love it xx

MuranoSilver
11-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Oooh love it very stylish and the wire wrapping works brilliantly
Nic xx

Sunnybank
11-12-2009, 11:58 AM
That is beautiful, the wrapping is so in keeping with the celtic style. If I'd made it I'd want to keep it! :snow:

Gemma
11-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Aww thanks all, you're so sweet :X

I do want to keep it Sunny but then what would I give to Kirsty?!

Di Sandland
11-12-2009, 12:18 PM

Something along the lines of 'and this is what you could have won' springs to mind...

Sunnybank
11-12-2009, 12:28 PM

Bath bombs were quite popular as early suggestions for Secret Santa pressies. :snow:

kymbi
11-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Great pendant Gemma, I'm sure Kirsty will love it - the wire-wrapping has worked really well and I love the way the wrap is echoed in the bail :Y:

vini the kiwi
12-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I've got one of the Aidan Meehan books - and I don't like it all that much, it's somewhat formulaic. Does the Bain book go much beyond using a simple grid?

I have the same book ,I was thinking of drawing on graph paper then gluing to piece of wood then hammering pins into the points and cutting the heads off the panel pins working the wire round the pins , then sliping the piece off and setting with solider to a back plate, not tried it so cant say it will work ?

this prob of stones over heating when soldering now in plumbing the old trick of wrapping a wet rag round adjacent joints you don,t want to melt may work ? in the same way to keep the stone cool if you made a wee metal guard with a slot in it for the wire to shield the stone, form the torch, and wrapped the stone in wet sponge, of coarse always wear PPE if you give it a go

nice peice gemma parting with them is my problem too

Emerald
12-12-2009, 01:18 PM
when i was jobbing we used to wrap the stones in wet cotton wool place them in a doming block then solder the joint, again this wont work for all stones but most precious stones will stand for this.

mizgeorge
12-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Technoflux (or coolheat) can also do the trick
Heat Insulating Paste - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Heat-Insulating-Paste-prcode-999-AAH)

Mystic
12-12-2009, 03:54 PM
:Y:Very nice piece Gemma, you should be proud of yourself and your friend will be thrilled to recieve such a beautiful piece..........well done you.

Lindyloo
14-12-2009, 10:25 PM
That's beautiful Gemma. :reindeer: I really love it.

Tigerlily
16-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Gemma, thats absolutely gorgeous!! You must be so pleased with yourself, and am sure Kirsty will love it!!! xx

:carolers:

Gemma
16-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Yup! Still chuffed, thanks girls! Still cant quite believe I made it! :xmaswin:

Dennis
15-01-2010, 08:57 PM
One more suggestion: solder on a short piece of silver tubing which will fit the hole in your bead, it can be bought as thin as 1mm diameter,leaving about1.5mm
projecting.Slip on the bead and gently wriggle a pointed object in the open end of the tube.The bead can be secured but allowed to rotate,or fixed more firmly.
Regards Dennis.