PDA

View Full Version : Cabochons and stones

Lisa Quinn
09-12-2009, 08:05 PM
I haven't bought that many stones or cabs as I am nervous about buying from unknown suppliers on the internet. Cookson's selection is quite limited, so I wondered if anyone on the forum would be happy to recommend a reputable supplier (s).

thanks Lisa

Sunnybank
09-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Marquise Jewels - Gemstone Cabochons, Beads and Jewellery Findings (http://www.marquisejewels.co.uk/?gclid=CM_m65O5yp4CFUgA4wodDzibrQ)

I've bought a few from Marquise and more to the point George mentioned them in a previous thread. :snow:

AliMac
09-12-2009, 10:28 PM
I've recently bought some online from Kernowcraft - very fast service and exactly what I wanted.

The Dragon
09-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Marquise Jewels - Gemstone Cabochons, Beads and Jewellery Findings (http://www.marquisejewels.co.uk/?gclid=CM_m65O5yp4CFUgA4wodDzibrQ)

I've bought a few from Marquise and more to the point George mentioned them in a previous thread. :snow:

I've just started using this supplier as well (on George's reccomendation) and I've been happy with the results, delivery was very quick as well and the prices are ok.

:snow:

Carl Martin
10-12-2009, 12:04 AM
I've recently bought some online from Kernowcraft - very fast service and exactly what I wanted.

I've used these to over the years. Hannah is most helpful and they provide and excellent service.

agent_44
10-12-2009, 08:05 AM

I'd give a :Y: for them too, service has always been fab with them, I just wish they had a selection of higher end stuff. If you saw my thread yesterday about having to order more stones, it was them and I emailed to ask if they could despatch same day as I needed them urgently - within an hour I had an email saying it was no problem and another hour an email to tell me my package was on it's way!

Kernowcraft do have some nice stuff too and their service is good. I'm yet to find many more very good gemstone suppliers and am hoping to go to a couple of trade shows next year to hopefully find some. If you have a look on Etsy and Ebay you can pick up some decent stuff and at good prices, and the feedback systems are a good indication of the supplier's reliability.

mizgeorge
10-12-2009, 10:28 AM
I had PM'd about this, but I'll share!

I also use Marquise a lot for everyday stuff, and Kernowcraft too - they're both incredibly reliable and helpful and know their stuff as well.

For higher end stuff, I try to buy in person - the gem fairs or spring fair are great for this. I like buying from Affinity Gems (because they're such nice people) - who have a great range of beads as well. I also buy from Wards, though I wish they had a proper online shop rather than having to email or phone orders through, I always seem to get in a muddle with this and I like having a running total in a cart to help curb my buying enthuiasms!

One of these days I'm going to do a big order direct from India or the Far East - I know a couple of people who've done this with sellers they've found through Etsy with excellent results. It's just finding the right seller of course!

Right, who's coming to Sri Lanka with me on a gem buying trip?

agent_44
10-12-2009, 10:30 AM

ME! :xmaslaugh:

abyjem
10-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Yeah George, that would be a great trip wouldnt it - I'd spend an absolute fortune - especially on sapphires ! I just love Ceylon Sapphires.

Actually, my brother and sister-in-law go to Sri Lanka every year- I wonder if they could be trusted.......... mmmm..........

Di Sandland
10-12-2009, 10:43 AM

Me!!! :snow:

Emerald
10-12-2009, 11:15 AM
I

Me Me Me Me :-D

The Dragon
10-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Me too!!!

Or anywhere else you fancy trying, actually there is a website in the States that sells from the Thai industry - I'll se if I can find the link.

The Dragon
10-12-2009, 11:21 AM
OK found the website

Buy Gemstones Online | Loose Gemstones Wholesale to the Public - Precious and Semi-Precious Gemstones (http://www.thaigem.com)

I'm no expert on the prices of gems or how much it would cost to import them through customs but they sure are pretty to look at!

lorraineflee
10-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I fancy a tool buying trip to the States. They seem to have a much better selection but good old customs & excise (or whatever they call themselves these days) plus the mail (with handling charges) make them soooo dear. So, "beam me over to the States Scotty" and I'll be happy!!
Lorraine

kymbi
10-12-2009, 02:30 PM
The thought of Sri Lanka in February has me drooling - I went to Kerala for 3 weeks this January and I cannot believe I did not come back with any gemstones, silver or jewellery even thought I found a nice shop or two and negotiated wholesale(ish) prices...OH must had added something to the water to curb my spending :snow:

My father lives in Florida and when I used to visit, I ordered stones, silver, gold-fill metals and small tools, delivered to his home so I could pick them up and bring them home in my luggage. What a shame I had to ex-communicate him....not! (But a whole other story to that decision.)

agent_44
10-12-2009, 02:55 PM
My father lives in Florida and when I used to visit, I ordered stones, silver, gold-fill metals and small tools, delivered to his home so I could pick them up and bring them home in my luggage.

My OH's parent's live in Florida, and I plan on fully exploiting that fact :D

I'm sorry you don't speak with your dad though []

kymbi
10-12-2009, 03:07 PM

Oh yes, it's very useful - cheap/free postage within the US, then standard airmail to UK as a "gift" ('nuff said) ;)

agent_44
10-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Oh yes, it's very useful - cheap/free postage within the US, then standard airmail to UK as a "gift" ('nuff said) ;)

And the other fact I love about mail order shopping over there is if you buy from another state - no tax! :Y:

amazingbabe
10-12-2009, 07:17 PM

The bees Knees :xmaswave:

amazingbabe
10-12-2009, 07:26 PM

I'm sorry you don't speak with your dad though []

YOu mean you have'nt exploited them yet ?? Hurry on Lu !!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way count ME in for Sri Lanka too oooohhhh the thought whoop !!!

Lisa Quinn
10-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks George,Hayes and Jarvis send me an email every Friday afternoon, with delectable exotic holiday offers for the Seychelles, Kenya, Mauritius and Sri Lanka, gee do I need to win the lottery or what ??

Once again loads of fabulous advice, thanks everyone xx

bob flemming
06-01-2010, 03:05 PM
I can recommend Wards as well, although their website isn't great. Their service is excellent though. Just ring up with an order and they will send it that day.

Lisa Quinn
06-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks Bob, looks like a really good site,

tjaysilver
03-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Hi Lisa

Manchester Minerals is good and plenty to choose from,well,they do seem to have more than cooksons.
Hope this helps.

Tracey