PDA

View Full Version : Few new bits

Gemma
08-12-2009, 08:16 PM
I've beeng playing again. Here are the results (plus a load of scrap from all my mistakes but I wont show you that!!)

First pic is a Christmas pressy for a friend. Necklace made from twisted 2mm square and earrings from twisted 1mm square.

Second pic is a secret santa pressy for someone on a general crafts forum I belong to. (Pretty sure she's not on here!) 2mm round wire and my shiney new jig from cookies and crystals.

Third pic is my first attempt at stone setting. I've used one of the topaz stones I got from cookies in the recent comp. Its....ok from the front...but you're not seeing the mess of the back!!! The pendant is made ffrom twisted square wire that was flattened and textured. The twist still shows on the edges of the pendant but you can't really see it on the pic.

All +/- feedback welcome :hohoho:

869 870 871

mizgeorge
08-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Lovely :) I particularly like the twisted wire necklace.

Sunnybank
08-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Thats my favourite too :snow:

Lisa Quinn
08-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Lovely :) I particularly like the twisted wire necklace.

Mine too xx

How thick is the wire?

Gemma
08-12-2009, 08:49 PM
How thick is the wire?

2mm

Its my fav too and its gonna be hard to give away but she's a very special girl (she made my wedding dress!!!) Reeeeeally easy to do as you just twist the wire and its practically done!

Di Sandland
08-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Nice work, Gemma ;)

snow_imp
09-12-2009, 06:35 AM
The twisted wire set looks great - I'm going to give wire twisting/plaiting a go in the new year having picked up a book in the Borders closing down sale (well lots of books actually!!!).

I think the set stone looks brilliant from the front - congratulations.

MuranoSilver
09-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Oooh the twisted wire necklace is looking fabulous, she's going to love that present
Nic x

Gemma
09-12-2009, 02:49 PM
The twisted wire set looks great - I'm going to give wire twisting/plaiting a go in the new year having picked up a book in the Borders closing down sale (well lots of books actually!!!).

Which book is that then Anne? I wish I lived near a closing down borders...

I trapped one end of the wire in a vice and the other end in a pin vice. I turned he pin vice by hand. It was quite tough towards the end. I ended up stood on a chair and turning the pin vice half a turn at a time with a hefty pair of pliers ;)

Thanks for all the lovely comments :snow:

snow_imp
09-12-2009, 02:59 PM
I'll get back to you on that Gem - after I get home tonight!

I can't seem to stay off the forum at work even though they have nothing in common - unless we'er ALL computer programmers in our "other" lives! Those of us who have to have another job to support our "making jewellery" addiction that is.

:hohoho:

bustagasket
09-12-2009, 03:30 PM
my fav is also the twisted necklace, i have been playing with twisted square myself lately and love the effect. :D

Ominicci
09-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Twisted wire necklet is a fave here too!!! I have square wire on my wish list (but it'll be a while...)

snow_imp
09-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Which book is that then Anne? I wish I lived near a closing down borders...

I picked up "Woven Wire Jewelry" by Linda L Chandler and Christine R Ritchey - lots of weaving to try.

I trapped one end of the wire in a vice and the other end in a pin vice. I turned he pin vice by hand. It was quite tough towards the end. I ended up stood on a chair and turning the pin vice half a turn at a time with a hefty pair of pliers ;)

Having just re-read your comment, I now have a mental picture of you perched on a chair and fighting an unruly length of wire. :)

Emerald
09-12-2009, 06:20 PM
The wire on that necklace looks twisted to perfection Gemma but if you have a handrill it makes the process a whole lot easier:Y:

Fi Wilson
10-12-2009, 01:25 PM
I had my first go at twisting wire last night to make some filigree pieces. I've got a little Bosch electric screwdriver that I attach a hex shaft keyless chuck into (sort of like the chuck bit at the end of a proper drill) and trap the wire in that with the other end in the vice on my workbench. It's a bit addictive once you've done your first piece of wire twisting.

Fi

Gemma
10-12-2009, 02:34 PM
I have that book!!

Twisting square wire is so simple but effective.

Right handrill on the wish list too then. I assume you mean one operated by hand...
I had thought about using the electric but thought it might be a bit dangerous.

Fi Wilson
10-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Nah, using a drill would be dangerous Gem! The electric screwdriver goes much slower than a drill and you can still control the speed of the turn. It also helps to keep the wire you're twisting straight as you don't have to use your other hand for winding.

Fi

Mila Jewellery
10-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Gem they are lovely :) The necklace is my fav too! I've not tried any wire twisting yet - it will go on my things to try list but I have too many things on the go at the moment!

JudyC
03-01-2010, 12:57 AM
Love them all but particularly the first stone setting. I am working on my first right now.
Cheers
Judy