PDA

View Full Version : Today I have mostly been making

mizgeorge
08-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Toggle clasps....

My amazing new disc cutter makes these an absolute pleasure to do.

I've done lots of hammered and textured ones in the past, but decided to see what they'd look like set with a stone, and I rather like it. I'm seeing a whole new use for my box full of small cabs now.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/mizgeorge/twotoggles.jpg

I suspect I'll add these to my findings range rather than just use them all myself :)

EmmaRose
08-12-2009, 04:59 PM
They are gorgeous! did you use premade bezel or make it your self?
they look lovely, and love the stone, makes the clasp a real feature
Em

mizgeorge
08-12-2009, 05:15 PM
I made the bezel Emma, and then decided it looked a bit boring, so I added an extra ring round it, which actually made it much easier to solder to the curved surface.

J, I didn't rio it in the end - their shipping charges are hideous and they're 'unhelpful' to say the least on the customs declaration. I had another supplier recommended to me, and she was fantastic. And HM Customs and Excise will have to go to someone else for their xmas present money this year ;)

MuranoSilver
08-12-2009, 05:22 PM
So is that an extra large disc cutter? I've been looking for one for ages [-o<
Love the look especially the hammer one (favourite texture)
The hammer one would be brill with a garnet on it.

Nic x

Emerald
08-12-2009, 05:29 PM
George those are fabulous

i have been looking for and extra large disc cutter too, pretty please with hugs on tell me where you got it from before my dad buys the wrong one for xmas xx

EmmaRose
08-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Fab George- they look so perfect! :))))
Em :xmas-):

lesley
08-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Oh my, now I know why you were so excited - they're stupendous!!

Petal
08-12-2009, 06:14 PM
OOh those are absolutely gorgeous George!

Love them love them love them :Y::Y::Y:

amazingbabe
08-12-2009, 06:20 PM
wow wow wow and wow,,,, George they are amazing, both of them,,,, :snow:

kymbi
08-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Those are fab George and I'm hard pushed to choose a favourite - I love the hammered one for its texture, but the stone set one is so unusual and would look great on a chunky bracelet or necklace with matching or complementing stones. Out of interest, what are the dimensions of them?

Charlotte
08-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Those are really beautiful, what a great idea! I always forget to put design into my clasps!

Solunar Silver Studio
08-12-2009, 06:50 PM
They look fantastic George! I like the textured one too...is it harder to set stones on a textured surface??

And since you are all talking disc cutting and doming...all tools I don't have - what do you all think of this one from Cooksons?? Deluxe Disc & Doming Set - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Deluxe-Disc--Doming-Set-prcode-999-772E) ?? Has anyone done any cones with a set like this?? I have been looking and lusting after it for a while now but wonder how well it works... Any thoughts??

mizgeorge
08-12-2009, 07:05 PM
These ones are an inch across. I can go up to 1 1/4" with the new cutter.

B, I'll be honest, I truly think you get what you pay for with most tools, and I just think this one's too cheap to be really good. I've gone through three cheaper cutters in the last couple of years, and even brand new, none of them was a patch on the new one. I'm also generally suspicious of anything that's supposed to do more than one thing! I like being able to choose how far to dome discs so they fit perfectly to whatever they're being used for. The cones are interesting, but I can't for the life of me work out what they'd be any use for!

As for setting stones on a textured surface, it's horrible. Which is why I leave the bit where it's going to be set untextured! I actually pop the disc on the wrong end of a small doming punch and flatten off the area where the bezel's going to be seated to make sure it's a nice flush fit, then use a sharpie to mark that spot, and try not to go over that line when I texture. Not such a problem with rolled textures, I seem to be able to get away with just filing them down a bit.

Lisa Quinn
08-12-2009, 07:20 PM
They are both really scrumptious George, it's such an interesting way to use cabs and makes a really stunning feature.

Also very covetous of your new toy, lucky you.

L xx

They look fantastic George! I like the textured one too...is it harder to set stones on a textured surface??

And since you are all talking disc cutting and doming...all tools I don't have - what do you all think of this one from Cooksons?? Deluxe Disc & Doming Set - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Deluxe-Disc--Doming-Set-prcode-999-772E) ?? Has anyone done any cones with a set like this?? I have been looking and lusting after it for a while now but wonder how well it works... Any thoughts??

B - I kind of have this set!! My husband has bought it for me for Christmas, it is in a box in the cupboard under the stairs, next to the hoover !! Like I would never find it !! Dohh !! I'll let you know what it is like on Boxing Day.

mizgeorge
08-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Lisa - I can guarantee that if my hubby hid something anywhere near the hoover I would NEVER find it!

lesley
08-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Is it bad form to ask for the name of your lustful tool supplier?

I'm the mug that's got that set on order, Barbara. I was planning on trying it out over Christmas. I did think it sounded too good to be true but thought it would do for a start.

Gemma
08-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Gorgeous clasps George <3<3

mizgeorge
08-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Oh, I didn't mean it to come across like that! My first cutter set was cheaper than that and did me proud - I just cut a lot of discs, and I wore it, and the next two, out!

Emerald
08-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Lisa - I can guarantee that if my hubby hid something anywhere near the hoover I would NEVER find it!

i never bother to look for anythink my Oh hides as he never buys me anythink lol does that make sense ..........nope ah well

Petal
08-12-2009, 07:43 PM
B, I'll be honest, I truly think you get what you pay for with most tools, and I just think this one's too cheap to be really good. I've gone through three cheaper cutters in the last couple of years, and even brand new, none of them was a patch on the new one. I'm also generally suspicious of anything that's supposed to do more than one thing! I like being able to choose how far to dome discs so they fit perfectly to whatever they're being used for. The cones are interesting, but I can't for the life of me work out what they'd be any use for!

I had a similar discussion with someone from Cookies the other day when I was thinking of ordering the same item. I couldn't understand how it worked and thought in the end that buying the disc cutter alone was the best idea for me. Can't wait to get cutting, now its arrived :Y:

Thanks SO much George for all your really useful information and recommendations, where would we be without you. :X

Gemma
08-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Oh...meant to say before....cones could be used to make pretty ends for multistrand necklaces.
I want a disc cutter but from what you say George I should get an expensive one :'(

Lisa Quinn
08-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Oh, I didn't mean it to come across like that! My first cutter set was cheaper than that and did me proud - I just cut a lot of discs, and I wore it, and the next two, out!

We know you didn't George, you're not that kind of person, don't worry about it xx

I'm not sure if it something that I will get a lot of use out of, but I sure am looking forward to a bit of a playtime with it on Christmas Day and it's a much better present than the mauve acrylic dressing gown he has hidden up in the loft

mizgeorge
08-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Gemma, seriously, you don't need to start out with an expensive one. I only needed to upgrade mine because I really do cut a LOT of discs - literally hundreds at a time. I used one of these Complete Disc Cutting Set, To Cut A Maximum Of 1.0mm Sheet, Discs From Approx. 5-16mm Diameter - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Complete-Disc-Cutting-Set-To-Cut-A-Maximum-Of-1.0mm-Sheet-Discs-From-Approx.-5-16mm-Diameter-prcode-999-772) for a long time, and was really happy with it. Especially after having sawn so many discs in the past!

I agree, cones are great for multistrand stuff, but not this shape!

lesley
08-12-2009, 07:59 PM
it's a much better present than the mauve acrylic dressing gown he has hidden up in the loft

Oh dear. Practising your happy face? :xmaslaugh:

mizgeorge
08-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Oh Lisa, I feel for you. Mine bought me a size 12 polyester kimono a few years back. Those who know me will understand just how ludicrous that was. Even if I had lost about five stone and been able to put it on, the static electricity it generated with every move would have led to the distinct possibility of spontaneous human combustion at any moment.

Thank you for understanding what I meant!

Mystic
08-12-2009, 08:13 PM
George, what beautiful toggles, I love your workmanship....oh to be so talented, I can only dream...............

Lindyloo
08-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Those are lovely George. I like both of them equally. I've also been eyeing that disc cutter lately. It's in my wish list.

I also made a lovely box shaped clasp a while back, set with a stone on top, but haven't been able to come up with a nice enough idea for a necklace, that wouldn't take away from the clasp. Silly heh?

Sunnybank
08-12-2009, 08:30 PM
A disc cutter has got to go on the wish list, but then I think a bit of skill and design also went into those clasps, they are gorgeous, :snow:

agent_44
08-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Fab toggles George, love them!

What is it about people wanting disc cutters, my set disappeared in the move and now I am looking at getting another, would also love to get an extra large one...

fi79
08-12-2009, 09:07 PM
They're fabulous!! I love the stone set one. Perfect.:bauble:

caroleallen
08-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Gorgeous George! Did I miss the bit where you said where you got those extra big disc cutters from?

abyjem
08-12-2009, 09:46 PM
They are totally gorgeous - I so want a disc cutter and doming stuff -

lilacmonkey
08-12-2009, 09:56 PM
love them george so different from the norm.;)

mizgeorge
08-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Gorgeous George! Did I miss the bit where you said where you got those extra big disc cutters from?

It's a swanstrom set Carole - I got mine here:

Swanstrom Disc Cutters - $250.00 : fundametals.net, essential tools for creating wire & metal jewelry (http://www.fundametals.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_34&products_id=21)

along with the centre plugs and (ahem) one or two other things.....

They're made for Rio Grande, but the shipping would have been much higher bought direct.

I have to say, it's a very beautiful bit of kit :)

agent_44
08-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Ooh, that's the one on my wish list (hoping to get it via the OH's parents who live in Florida) - glad you give it the thumbs up!

mizgeorge
08-12-2009, 10:12 PM
You can always come and have a play Lucinda - it's really not that far...... ;)

agent_44
08-12-2009, 10:16 PM
I know, you keep saying that aswell :D Let me get my life a bit more organised (I've been sooo all over the shop since I moved) and I'll be there!

caroleallen
08-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Wow! That looks like a fab set. I'd love one of those. I've already good 2 sets though, so I mustn't be greedy. On the other hand ..........

Di Sandland
08-12-2009, 10:39 PM
I've been away watching a movie and have only just got to see these wonderful toggles. George, they are absolutely beautiful! (and I'm still reeling from the thought of the size 12 polyester ;))

Solunar Silver Studio
09-12-2009, 06:19 AM
B - I kind of have this set!! My husband has bought it for me for Christmas, it is in a box in the cupboard under the stairs, next to the hoover !! Like I would never find it !! Dohh !! I'll let you know what it is like on Boxing Day.

I'm the mug that's got that set on order, Barbara. I was planning on trying it out over Christmas. I did think it sounded too good to be true but thought it would do for a start.

Well girls...I expect a full review of the product by lunchtime on Boxing Day!!!;)

I had a similar discussion with someone from Cookies the other day when I was thinking of ordering the same item. I couldn't understand how it worked and thought in the end that buying the disc cutter alone was the best idea for me. Can't wait to get cutting, now its arrived :Y:

So how does it work then??? As I said...I have just been looking with longing - I hadn't really got to the how it works stage yet!!#-o

seriously, you don't need to start out with an expensive one. I only needed to upgrade mine because I really do cut a LOT of discs - literally hundreds at a time.

Thanks for all the info George! I'm still so much of a beginner that I view things the other way round...the more functions I can get out of a tool the better it is!! I will be 90 before I can think of spending that sort of money on a tool!! But I do want to have a play...and for that £50 is still a lot of money!!:(

snow_imp
09-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Hi George - those toggles are fab. I love the stone set one.

bustagasket
09-12-2009, 06:47 AM
Looks like thats a very nifty little gadget you have there

Petal
09-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petal
I had a similar discussion with someone from Cookies the other day when I was thinking of ordering the same item. I couldn't understand how it worked and thought in the end that buying the disc cutter alone was the best idea for me. Can't wait to get cutting, now its arrived

So how does it work then??? As I said...I have just been looking with longing - I hadn't really got to the how it works stage yet!!

I'm afraid Bee the person I spoke to at Cookies couldn't say how it worked! So in the end I got seperate components... more on that later, as there's a potential problem with one of them :N:.

EmmaRose
09-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Oh wow spring loaded and everything...lovely! I WANT one :)
Em

Solunar Silver Studio
09-12-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm afraid Bee the person I spoke to at Cookies couldn't say how it worked! So in the end I got seperate components... more on that later, as there's a potential problem with one of them :N:.

Is that a potential problem with a person at Cooksons or one of the components??!!:confused:

Thanks anyway Jules - seems like I'll have to wait until the chrissy prezzies have been opened and played with then!! Hmmm...I wonder if Cookies do a January Sale???:hohoho::xmaslaugh:

lorraineflee
09-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Love the toggles, really classy!
Lorraine

Petal
09-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Is that a potential problem with a person at Cooksons or one of the components??!!:confused:

Thanks anyway Jules - seems like I'll have to wait until the chrissy prezzies have been opened and played with then!! Hmmm...I wonder if Cookies do a January Sale???:hohoho::xmaslaugh:

Sorry about that... back for lunch and a cup of tea and read what's happening on here...

The potential problem was with a doming block that I bought on Ebay (more on that tomorrow pm - no time today). The person at Cookies wasn't particularly helpful about the combined piece of kit and didn't know/couldn't find out how it actually worked in practice.

Bee, we might find people swapping things after Xmas, I think that's when I think Cookies said they might launch their swap shop thing ?and you never know what goodies we might swap.

It would be nice if Cookies had a January sale, wouldn't it!!!

Charlotte
09-12-2009, 01:19 PM
You've inspired me! I was going to make a pearl bracelet as a Christmas gift but thought it would be missing something, I'll just make the clasp the feature!!

Carl Martin
09-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Those are really nice George with endless possibilities.

Superb...:)

ps_bond
09-12-2009, 02:10 PM
I like them. And the disc cutter set...
I really must try using my disc cutter in the arbor press sometime - I keep reaching for a big mallet though.

mizgeorge
09-12-2009, 02:34 PM
The thing that differentiates the Swanstrom set from all my previous cutters is that instead of the milled edge being perpendicular to the punch (and thus flat), it's got a slight bevel, so it shears rather than relying purely on force to cut the disc.

I'm cutting up to 0.8mm sheet with a rawhide mallet (first thing that came to hand) and only resorting to a brass mallet for 1mm.

I think if I'd had access to a press, I'd have been perfectly happy with my old set, but this one is so pretty too ;)

Ominicci
09-12-2009, 05:11 PM
The toggles are amazing George!

I am promising myself one of those punch sets if I ever get myself organised enough to start making the lockets I have designed. And big beads!!